Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Leif

Skate lifetime

How long do top end skates last, or to put it another way, what are common signs of impending failure?

I have Bauer Custom 2S Pro skates, and I had to have the holders replaced a few months ago. They are about four years old, I skate five hours a week, including two hours hockey, and three hours practice (three turns, tight turns, power pulls etc), I’m casual beer league, a good skater but not powerful, and I only weigh 160 pounds. We had maybe 8 months of no hockey due to lockdowns. The tongues are coming lose where they are sewn onto the toe cap, the sides of the tongues are heavily worn but useable and it looks like the small gap between the toe cap and the shell of the boot has increased to about 2mm. That last point worries me as it suggests impending failure. They have lots of cuts, but all superficial, and the carbon fibre shell is solid. 

I don’t want to find that they fail suddenly, and I am then stuck with my tatty old and uncomfortable Supreme 160S skates while I wait for new customs. And money is an issue, otherwise I’d just buy new now with a current price of about £1,000. I’m not considering mid range, I have mid range inlines, and they are uncomfortable. 

When you put on the skates, do you pull them on by pulling on the tongue? Having the tongues come loose is an odd failure point, as there’s no torque or pressure otherwise being applied there. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, start_today said:

When you put on the skates, do you pull them on by pulling on the tongue? Having the tongues come loose is an odd failure point, as there’s no torque or pressure otherwise being applied there. 

No, but I do pull the tongue when the skate is on, maybe that’s an issue. 

For me, I just look at the over all condition of the stitching and seams, and feel how sturdy the shell is. My last pair of skates, the toe cap was beginning come loose from the rest of the boot and the shell was softening up, but I stretched the life of the skate out a couple of years. Skate was around 7 years old by the time I replaced it. Right now, my skates are around 5 years old. Other than surface abrasions, it looks like it should easily last another 2 years. They're S190s. I'm usually on the ice 3-4 times a week. Usually it's 2-3 games and/or 1-2 sessions of stick and puck. 

• Like 1

With the issues as described I'd look to have the tongues replaced before considering buying new custom skates. A good equipment shop could probably look at the toecap as well. I use Nash Sniper Tongues in my Nexus 7000s and absolutely love them so much so that I just found a pair of new pair of Nexus 2Ns in my size and I'm not even baking them until I get a pair of Nash Tongues installed. 

• Like 1

I have a few friends with failing boots. The issues they are having are much worse like the outsole separating from the boot, toe caps coming loose, continually replacing rivets broken or cracked tendon guards.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stick9 said:

I have a few friends with failing boots. The issues they are having are much worse like the outsole separating from the boot, toe caps coming loose, continually replacing rivets broken or cracked tendon guards.

Mind disclosing the brands and models?  Just curious.

1 hour ago, noupf said:

Mind disclosing the brands and models?  Just curious.

Sure, but let me start by saying these failures aren't premature. These things are happening to skates that look like they've been to hell and back. That said. It's mostly Bauer with some CCM & Eastons in there. No True cuz no one I skate with is using True.....no one I play against is using True. It should be noted that up until recently (last two years) pretty much everyone was wearing Bauers. Simple math.

2 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Sure, but let me start by saying these failures aren't premature. These things are happening to skates that look like they've been to hell and back. That said. It's mostly Bauer with some CCM & Eastons in there. No True cuz no one I skate with is using True.....no one I play against is using True. It should be noted that up until recently (last two years) pretty much everyone was wearing Bauers. Simple math.

Thanks and that is what I was curious about as well, premature failures or skates that are simply ending their life cycle due to serious years of heavy use.