Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
noupf

CCM Skate fitment dilemma

Sorry for the novel, but I like to give details as much as possible.  The time has come to move on from my 9 year old Graf Ultra G75's.

I'm just a beer leaguer now, but I am still a decent skater, 6'4 and 230 lbs  and want to try out some of these top tier skates before I'm too old to play anymore.   

I've currently got 5 pairs of skates in my possession and I'm really trying hard not too over think this, but I feel like I'm in between widths / fits with various issues with toe caps, heels and side snugness....... 

All skates have been baked twice.

Super Tacks AS-V Pro 9.5 Tapered - Very snug in the toe cap ( right big toe has a callus on the outside that rubs inside toe cap area ), left foot toe cap feels snug, but ok.  Forefoot feels snug on both left and right foot, but not too bad.  These are very stiff boots, but might work if they break in and open up ever so slightly, however, I have a hard time seeing much room gained with how stiff the construction is on these skates.  This boot is definitely 1/2 size too big in length, but with my foot sitting so snug in the boot and the narrow toe cap, I cant really shove my foot anymore forward.  Once laced, i feel like I get good heel lock with the narrower heel cup of the tapered fit.  For this skate i'm worried about the snug toe caps and the callus on my right big toe.  The 1/2 size too big seems to help as the tow cap is a little farther forward and gives me just a whiskers width of relief on the callus.  

Super Tacks AS-V Pro 9.0 Regular -  Good room in the toe cap on both feet and the fore foot is almost perfect, but has the sensation of just a tiny bit of extra room.  Heel feels the same way, almost right, but just a tiny bit of extra room.  Will another bake and shrink wrapping and compressing the forefoot of the boot help snug it all up or am I expecting too much from a shrink wrapping on these stiff skates?  Also Wondering if I bake them with no foot inside and pinch the sides of the boot by the heel with a clamp to narrow the heel cup.......or again, am i asking too much from a bake job?

Super Tacks AS-V Pro 9.0 Tapered - Very very snug in the toe cap, even more so than the 9.5 AS-V tapered from above.  Heel lock is very good bc its the tapered fit and is nice and snug along the sides of the forefoot.  Thinking the snug toe cap and callus on my right big toe just wont work here as the smaller skate moves my right tow farther into the toe cap is it narrows down toward the front.  Most likely sending back to store

100K Pro 9.5 Wide - Good room in toe cap.  Fore foot feels good, again tiniest bit of extra room.  Heel lock feels very good even though this is the wide fit.   Thinking this might be a great fit if i can wrap the fore foot and close up that tiny bit of extra room.  Maybe the thicker ccm tongue would help.

100k Pro 9.5 Regular:  a little too snug in the toe cap as well as the sides of the forefoot.  Noticed it was a little shy on volume too.  Sending these back to store.

If you made it this far and read all of it...........thoughts

Thanks  🙂

Edited by noupf

Get the toe capped punched? Only downside is you might have to send the skate away to a store that has the tool which means you have to mark exactly where it is to be punched on the toe cap..

14 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Get the toe capped punched? Only downside is you might have to send the skate away to a store that has the tool which means you have to mark exactly where it is to be punched on the toe cap..

thanks.  I was under the impression that toe caps cant be punched.  Perhaps I'll see if the toe cap on the 9.0 tapered can be punched and give that one a whirl as the tapered tacks seem to fit best, minus the toe cap issue.  I have a pro shop at a rink that has the device.  No idea if they are good or bad at the procedure though lol

Edited by noupf

I wouldn't let just anyone punch a toe cap. Even if they say they can, make sure they've done it before. That said. Why not just go custom?? I am almost positive you can upsize the toe caps on full customs.

21 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I wouldn't let just anyone punch a toe cap. Even if they say they can, make sure they've done it before. That said. Why not just go custom?? I am almost positive you can upsize the toe caps on full customs.

I dont know much about full custom skates to be honest.  No idea if anybody near me ( Long Island NY ) has the ability to do it.  Do customs cost more?  Also, what happens if the custom skates don't fit well even after all the leg work?

25 minutes ago, noupf said:

I dont know much about full custom skates to be honest.  No idea if anybody near me ( Long Island NY ) has the ability to do it.  Do customs cost more?  Also, what happens if the custom skates don't fit well even after all the leg work?

Talk to Melissa at Pure Hockey in Smithtown, they do custom True, CCM, and Bauer I believe.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, noupf said:

I have a pro shop at a rink that has the device.  No idea if they are good or bad at the procedure though lol

Make sure it's the right tool, a standard boot punch or stretcher wont do it. If you haven't seen one, here's an example (I don't know if anyone else makes one that will punch the toe cap) - https://www.instagram.com/p/BuefBhwAcuV/

and a pic of a toe cap punch underway https://www.instagram.com/p/BP9Kcz8gqh8/

Edited by Vet88

On 10/22/2022 at 4:08 AM, Vet88 said:

Make sure it's the right tool, a standard boot punch or stretcher wont do it. If you haven't seen one, here's an example (I don't know if anyone else makes one that will punch the toe cap) - https://www.instagram.com/p/BuefBhwAcuV/

and a pic of a toe cap punch underway https://www.instagram.com/p/BP9Kcz8gqh8/

thanks, they have something similar,  I'll inquire next time I'm there.