Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Karly14

Baby powder alternative

I’ve used baby powder on my handle forever, but now the original formula is illegal in Canada. All brands have switched to a cornstarch base which kind of has the opposite impact of taking the stickiness out of tape. Any creative ideas for products that might replace baby powder? Thanks! 

I'm faced with the same dilemma as my small bottle of traditional baby powder is almost used up. 

I have some left-over non-talc Odor-Eater Foot Powder I used when having to wear a walking boot earlier this year. I'm going to test it out I'll let you know the results. 

• Thanks 1

I know this doesn't help with the baby powder question ( I admit I've also never heard of this technique ), but have you considered moving to one of those very thin rubber sleeves ( tacki mac and the like )?   I used to be a tape only guy and all my sticks now have the thinnest tacki mack grips and i'll never go back.

8 hours ago, noupf said:

I know this doesn't help with the baby powder question ( I admit I've also never heard of this technique ), but have you considered moving to one of those very thin rubber sleeves ( tacki mac and the like )?   I used to be a tape only guy and all my sticks now have the thinnest tacki mack grips and i'll never go back.

Which Tacki-Macs are thin? The few I've tried have all been quite thick. I actually like the thickness because I have pretty big hands, but they tend to kill the balance of my lighter sticks. They work well with old standard shafts and blades for me though.

Edited by flip12

Have you tried the chalk gymnast's use.... What about the stuff pitchers use???

I'm sure there are tons of alternatives. Trial and error.

• Like 1

I tried the Odor Eater Foot Powder. It is corn starch-based. On a dry application with bare hands it seems fine but my gut feeling is with a sweaty wet glove palm the powder would react to the moisture and ball up in small balls of powder. It seems a bit thicker and slightly stickier than baby powder. 

• Like 1

Thanks, all!  Very helpful.  think the gymnast chalk sounds promising. I'm going to give it a go.  I was able to track some of the old formula in my city's Chinatown, so I should be good for a couple more seasons.   Howie's (or whoever) should make a hockey specific handle powder.  It would get them dozens of extra customers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldCY said:

What is the rationale behind outlawing baby powder? Another one of Trudeau’s brilliant ideas or something legitimate?

Talc is linked to ovarian cancer.

For what it's worth, I've been using tennis racket overwrap on my sticks for about the last year and I don't think I'll ever go back. They're pretty lightweight and add just the right amount of tackiness and cushion. I can get 6 months out of a single wrap, and a pack of 6 costs $10 US on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R7LZJT3/).

Edited by birky
  • Like 3