Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
iceman8310

Advice on skates

I need some advice for new skates.  My VH skates I had were low cut but stiff enough to provide good feel.  I had good forward flex in the skates and they weren’t cut to high.  Once those died I order a pair of trues and I felt like they were cut higher and didn’t provide the same forward bend.  What skates are lower cut would provide me that forward bend I’m missing.  I have dropped eyelets in newer skates but still don’t get the feel I’m looking for.  I’ve tried makos as well and didn’t like them as much 

You're right. The trend is for skate companies to design their skates to be taller. They are all doing it. I think the best bet is to look at models that are one or two price points lower than the most expensive model from both Bauer and CCM. The truth is that most players will skate better without an uber stiff skate. If you must have the top of the line, the CCM Ribcor 100KPro probably has the most flex.

3 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

You're right. The trend is for skate companies to design their skates to be taller. They are all doing it. I think the best bet is to look at models that are one or two price points lower than the most expensive model from both Bauer and CCM. The truth is that most players will skate better without an uber stiff skate. If you must have the top of the line, the CCM Ribcor 100KPro probably has the most flex.

I like a really stiff lower skate unfortunately 

On 10/30/2022 at 2:54 PM, iceman8310 said:

I need some advice for new skates.  My VH skates I had were low cut but stiff enough to provide good feel.  I had good forward flex in the skates and they weren’t cut to high.  Once those died I order a pair of trues and I felt like they were cut higher and didn’t provide the same forward bend.  What skates are lower cut would provide me that forward bend I’m missing.  I have dropped eyelets in newer skates but still don’t get the feel I’m looking for.  I’ve tried makos as well and didn’t like them as much 

Have a look at the CCM AS-V pro skate, ultra stiff but it is cut lower than other models out today. I don't how they will relate to your VH skates. maybe @VegasHockey could chime in here as I think he has had both. 

4 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Have a look at the CCM AS-V pro skate, ultra stiff but it is cut lower than other models out today. I don't how they will relate to your VH skates. maybe @VegasHockey could chime in here as I think he has had both. 

I personally like the AS-V more than the AS-V Pro skate as it's slightly softer allowing more forward flex. They might be a good option for you. Do you have any specific foot issues as to why you keep going custom? TRUE can make the boot slightly lower cut but you need to be detailed int he specifications and should talk to the local TRUE rep before putting in an order. 

A funny story; had a customer who had a pair of VH like you, when they started to wear out, he got a new pair of TRUE skates and hated them. 18 months later when TRUE released an updated model he tried again, same result, hated them. 18 months later he tried again, also hated that pair. This year the Cat Pro was released, and he ordered those. Loves them! Said the fit is the closest to his VH skates. 

May want to consider the new Cat Pro skates 😉 

On 11/2/2022 at 2:23 PM, Davideo said:

Have you tried playing around with lacing? Such as waxed laces tight on the bottom and loose up top? Or very stretchy laces?

wax laces shouldn't be used

On 11/1/2022 at 9:51 PM, VegasHockey said:

I personally like the AS-V more than the AS-V Pro skate as it's slightly softer allowing more forward flex. They might be a good option for you. Do you have any specific foot issues as to why you keep going custom? TRUE can make the boot slightly lower cut but you need to be detailed int he specifications and should talk to the local TRUE rep before putting in an order. 

A funny story; had a customer who had a pair of VH like you, when they started to wear out, he got a new pair of TRUE skates and hated them. 18 months later when TRUE released an updated model he tried again, same result, hated them. 18 months later he tried again, also hated that pair. This year the Cat Pro was released, and he ordered those. Loves them! Said the fit is the closest to his VH skates. 

May want to consider the new Cat Pro skates 😉 

Yeah even though they had my measurements from my VH order, the trues felt built different and fit way different.  The quality doesn't seem to be as good either.  The trues definitely felt more boxy compared to the VH skates 

Edited by iceman8310

2 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

wax laces shouldn't be used

Not necessarily. You can tie the bottom tightly and then loose at the top and those differentials should stay with waxed laces. Of course you won't get further flex with waxed laces, but it should be stiff at the bottom and loose on top. Depending on exactly what you are looking for, it is unlikely to be a good solution, but when talking about dropping a grand on skates, an $8 test might be worth it.

As someone who liked the amount forward flex on mid-grade '90s Tacks, all skates available today don't have much forward flex to me.

• Like 1