Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
skates73

Bauer Skate Fit

Anyone notice Bauer's new fit system feel noticeably different than what they use to have?  Ie. Fit 2 in a Vapor now feels significantly more voluminous than an old regular D Supreme (ie 1S).

Even a Fit 2 in Supreme feels a bit bigger than the old D size Supremes. 

And I've notice the second level skate (ie M5 Pro or 3X Pros) in a specific fit (ie Fit 1) feels different and more roomier than the top tier skates in the same fit (ie Machs or Hyperlites).  I would figure it should fit the same but maybe the slightly lower quality of the second tier boot doesn't quite fit as well.     

I know the new fit system is supposed to accommodate more people to try the two lines (Vapor/Supreme) but it's tougher to find a good fit for me now ironically.  Nothing really feels like the old Supreme Ds anymore. 

7 hours ago, skates73 said:

Anyone notice Bauer's new fit system feel noticeably different than what they use to have?  Ie. Fit 2 in a Vapor now feels significantly more voluminous than an old regular D Supreme (ie 1S).

And I've notice the second level skate (ie M5 Pro or 3X Pros) in a specific fit (ie Fit 1) feels different and more roomier than the top tier skates in the same fit (ie Machs or Hyperlites).  I would figure it should fit the same but maybe the slightly lower quality of the second tier boot doesn't quite fit as well.     

I know the new fit system is supposed to accommodate more people to try the two lines (Vapor/Supreme) but it's tougher to find a good fit for me now ironically.  Nothing really feels like the old Supreme Ds anymore. 

Bauer tried to market the new 3 fits both ways: as an improved mapping of the fit options to their foot-scan dataset and as a continuation of the fits you used to know in case you loved them. Some people have had a hard time adjusting.

One guess about perceived volume differences between skates at different price points is foam thickness. Maybe the top end boots have thicker foam, making the boots feel less voluminous than their cheaper siblings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skates73 said:

I agree with this but I found it was small differences in different places. For example with Hyperlites, fit 2 was too big in the heel for me, fit 1 didn't have enough volume in the toe cap area and across the top of the foot whereas a D Vapour was ok for me in those areas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flip12 said:

Bauer tried to market the new 3 fits both ways: as an improved mapping of the fit options to their foot-scan dataset and as a continuation of the fits you used to know in case you loved them. Some people have had a hard time adjusting.

One guess about perceived volume differences between skates at different price points is foam thickness. Maybe the top end boots have thicker foam, making the boots feel less voluminous than their cheaper siblings.

You could be right.  It's been a whiles since I tried on the Hyperlites but I do think the padding was thicker than the 3X pros.  Relatively speaking, the 3x Pros just felt cheaply made and fit loosey goosey.

23 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I agree with this but I found it was small differences in different places. For example with Hyperlites, fit 2 was too big in the heel for me, fit 1 didn't have enough volume in the toe cap area and across the top of the foot whereas a D Vapour was ok for me in those areas.

It's weird, I always thought the Vapors were supposed to be narrower (especially at the heel), but I haven't noticed this to be true since I started trying on Vapors with the new fit system.  I feel like the Supremes are actually the snugger overall fit.   To me, if the size (ie size 8) is the equal, the Vapors for sure feel, like a millimeter or 2 longer than the Supremes for some reason as well.  I can feel my toes barely feather the toe cap end in a supreme but I'm like millimeter(s) away from the end with Vapors (at least with the 3X Pro).

I might have to try a different brand of skate.  So many changes with Bauer.  New holders for the Vapors next year which may not fit current steel.  Also I don't like that they're not continuing to offer regular stainless steel blades for the Tuuk Edge holder anymore (ie LS4).  I know I'm probably in the minority but I just really don't like the feel of the Pulse or Pulse Ti, which are seemingly the only options for steel for Bauer skates.   

On 11/8/2022 at 4:33 PM, iceman8310 said:

Fit 1 in supremes and vapors still fits different 

I definitely noticed this.  I feel like the overall fit of the Fit 1 in Supremes are snugger and tighter than the Vapors.  Odd because I'd figure it would be the other way around.  The Vapors felt more roomy in the mid to forefoot.

There's no consistency within line either.  The M5 Pros felt a bit more snug and slightly shorter than the Mach in the same size/fit, whereas the 3X Pros felt noticeably more voluminous overall than the Hyperlites in the same size/fit.  For some reason the Vapors feel just millimeters longer than the Supremes in the same size/fit.     

Also, tried on the Vapor 2X Pros in the old D width and its MUCH tighter and snugger than Fit 1 Vapors.  It's nowhere near the same fit as it was.  Even my narrow feet did not feel comfortable in the old D width Vapor.   

Edited by skates73

On 11/9/2022 at 9:12 PM, skates73 said:

I definitely noticed this.  I feel like the overall fit of the Fit 1 in Supremes are snugger and tighter than the Vapors.  Odd because I'd figure it would be the other way around.  The Vapors felt more roomy in the mid to forefoot.

There's no consistency within line either.  The M5 Pros felt a bit more snug and slightly shorter than the Mach in the same size/fit, whereas the 3X Pros felt noticeably more voluminous overall than the Hyperlites in the same size/fit.  For some reason the Vapors feel just millimeters longer than the Supremes in the same size/fit.     

Also, tried on the Vapor 2X Pros in the old D width and its MUCH tighter and snugger than Fit 1 Vapors.  It's nowhere near the same fit as it was.  Even my narrow feet did not feel comfortable in the old D width Vapor.   

This is why I haven't been a fan of bauer skates in a very long time

On 11/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, iceman8310 said:

Fit 1 in supremes and vapors still fits different 

Yup, I was coming from a Vapor x500 7EE. I tried on a size 7, Fit 2 Supreme 3s and a size 7, Fit 2 Vapor 3x. Very different fit. Like what @skates73 said, the Supreme was shorter in the toe box (toes were crunched), and more narrow in the midfoot and toe box than the Vapor. The Vapor 3x fit me much better (toes feathered the toe cap) and that is what I went with. But as some said above, they feel a smidge loosey-goosey as a whole and not as "cozy or snug" as other skates. Maybe a thicker sock would help? While they fit the best right out of the gate, I feel like I want something that really hugs my foot better than what the 3x does. I've used them since last February pretty much once a week.

11 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

This is why I haven't been a fan of bauer skates in a very long time

Ya, I never thought I'd consider any skate other than Bauer but all these changes and discrepancies in fit etc has opened the door in me considering other brands.  I almost wish we could order their classic boot lasts/moulds if we don't like the Fit 1, 2 ,3.  

I think I might have an idea on why the Vapor may fit more loose or "less snug" than the Supreme.  I was just comparing the Hyperlites with my old 1S skate and I noticed with my feet in the boots and the skates completely untied, the Hyperlites felt like it fit better/more snug, especially at the heel.  The huge difference came when I tied them up.  The Vapors then had way less of an anchored heel lock vs the Supremes (great heel lock with Supremes).  I noticed the sensation was due to the pressure or force from the tongue/laces pushing and anchoring my foot back down into the boot harder and more securely in the 1S than the Hyperlites.  

I then took a look at the two boots and noticed that the eyelets (especially around the 3-5 from the top) in the Hyperlites were WAY further forward/away from the bottom back of the heel of the boot than my Supremes.  Without doubt, the eyelets of the Hyperlites were a greater distance away from the back of the boot or heel vs the 1S skates.  Meaning more heel depth or greater boot volume in Hyperlites?  Which again is odd because Vapors are suppose to be a lower volume boot... especially in a Fit 1. 

All I know is that ccm and Bauer retail skates rub the outside of either my big tow or pinky where the toe cap meets the boot. It sucks bc I want to try their retails now. Been in trues for 5 years. Had Bauer before without issues. Not sure if having trues made my feet more sensitive to fit issues and lost all my callouses lol. Or the fact that the boot shapes are much diff and for something that fits my heel the forefoot is now too narrow.... I've always wore 7D in the past. And the dit 2 for the supreme 3s pro fit great except the areas I mentioned above. 

On 11/20/2022 at 9:35 PM, Sniper9 said:

All I know is that ccm and Bauer retail skates rub the outside of either my big tow or pinky where the toe cap meets the boot. It sucks bc I want to try their retails now. Been in trues for 5 years. Had Bauer before without issues. Not sure if having trues made my feet more sensitive to fit issues and lost all my callouses lol. Or the fact that the boot shapes are much diff and for something that fits my heel the forefoot is now too narrow.... I've always wore 7D in the past. And the dit 2 for the supreme 3s pro fit great except the areas I mentioned above. 

Ya, you use to know what you'll get year to year from Bauer but it's been seeming a bit like a crap shoot now in fit etc.  It's definitely not you imagining things.  The change is pretty obvious in many ways in my opinion.  Some things are subtle but subtleties makes a world of difference in fit and performance of a skate.  I wish they would also offer the classic fits from before as well (Supreme Ds or Vapor Ds etc) aside from the Fit 1,2 3.  

Anyone try switching for Supremes to Vapors or vice versa?  Trying to go from top end Supremes to Hyperlites, I'm noticing some differences.  While I'm skating fine in them at a stick and puck, I find myself concentrating on the subtle differences.  I'm in the midst of trying to pinpoint what they may be exactly (outside of the fit).  I think I like the outsole in the Hyperlites better than the Machs.  But I have a feeling the Hyperlite boot sets my feet and ankle differently than the Supremes did and I catch myself thinking about it and the boot while skating.  Even with brand new Supremes (ie Machs, 1S etc) I could go full out from the get go (speed/edge work, pivots/transitions etc) without thinking about the skate but not quite so for Hyperlites.  Some nagging discrepancies.    

The machs are definitely wider in the forefoot and toe cap than then ultrasonics. The forefoot and toe cap area was pretty tight on a fit 2 3s pro but the fit 1 mach wasn't and fit good. I ended up returning the mach bc it still have me some pinky pinching when skating. It actually felt completely fine out of box and baking and walking around. Even skating and striding it felt fine but once I started turning and crossing over, my left pinky was getting pinched. 

Not sure if it would've eventually subsided but I didn't want to modify or even have to deal with the pain for $1100 skates. So back in trues... 

Too bad Bauer doesn't offer a satisfaction guarantee or I would've stuck it out longer to see. 

Edited by Sniper9