Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
218hockey

profile check/maintenance at lhs?

Just curious what local shop will say when I ask them to "check" my Quad 1 profile that they originally did. Is that a thing, or do you just pay another $40 and get them checked which is really just reprofiling?

I take them to Scheel's Sports in Fargo ND. So their tech center has a Prosharp machine but at the same time they're also waxing skis, and mounting bicycle tires, etc.

8 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Just curious what local shop will say when I ask them to "check" my Quad 1 profile that they originally did. Is that a thing, or do you just pay another $40 and get them checked which is really just reprofiling?

I take them to Scheel's Sports in Fargo ND. So their tech center has a Prosharp machine but at the same time they're also waxing skis, and mounting bicycle tires, etc.

I'd assume it varies by retailer, but i know a few of the mail in places on here that people use do a touch up / refresh service for like $20-25.  

Edited by noupf

How long ago did you get them profiled? If it feels off, just pay  to re-profile. 

And/or if it feels drastically off and they’ve been doing the sharpening, maybe go somewhere else?

4 hours ago, start_today said:

How long ago did you get them profiled? If it feels off, just pay  to re-profile. 

And/or if it feels drastically off and they’ve been doing the sharpening, maybe go somewhere else?

Most stores will charge a lesser fee to re-profile since it's usually very minor to get things back in line. For example, we charged $40 to profile and then $20 to touch up an existing profile. 

I've always wondered if they could actually check to see what profile your steel is, especially with the Quad profiles.  I've taken steel into big box hockey stores to profile my runners and I'm rather skeptical whether they actually put the quad profile I wanted on it.  The shape is pretty exact same as other sets of completely new steel I have.  They keep saying the change is imperceivable to the eye.  Lol, ok.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, start_today said:

About a year ago. Always sharpened on my SPARX. And we've always had the same hollow so rarely have to do three passes.

I've had a new set of runners I want to start using so of course I want them to feel like the other set.

2 hours ago, skates73 said:

I've always wondered if they could actually check to see what profile your steel is, especially with the Quad profiles.  I've taken steel into big box hockey stores to profile my runners and I'm rather skeptical whether they actually put the quad profile I wanted on it.  The shape is pretty exact same as other sets of completely new steel I have.  They keep saying the change is imperceivable to the eye.  Lol, ok.

That's a good point and I actually had another thread about that.

The head guy at the local shop I go to told me they can match any set I bring in. But I don't want a bad set matched. He's referring to people who bring in banana blades and ask to have there new steel close to that. Ha!

I'm not asking to be able to eyeball different profiles, I feel like they should be able tell with a template or by their machine???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skates73 said:

I don't think you can really eyeball a profile. If you have two different sets of steel you can compare the profiles by simply laying one on top of the other to see if you can perceive any difference. Another thing you can try is stand the blade straight up on a flat surface. Take two pieces of scrap paper, lay them on the flat surface, and slide one from toe towards the center the blade and the other from heel towards the center of the blade. There will be a point where the paper will start to feel resistance and stop. Compare these stop points on the different profiles. It won't tell you what profile is on each, but it will let you know if they're different from one another, and how they compare relative to one another.

But at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. You skate on them. You should be able to tell that there's a difference, and tell at least in broad strokes of what the profile did.

Edited by puckpilot
  • Like 1

Not wanting to start a new thread needlessly however I got my skates sharpened recently and the beady eyed sharpener noticed the blade on my left skate has a slight inwards bend. 

Which I now see why I found it hard skating round to the left. 

Anyway I'm guessing that was puck damage as my right one is OK. I'm guessing new steels is the remedy to this. 

6 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Can I slide paper under the runners on a flat surface? Can that tell me anything?

IMG-3926.jpg

From this, indications are the balance point on the top is further back than the bottom. This means the top is likely more pitched forward than the bottom. I can't say for certain, but assuming the bottom is a neutral pitch, the top may be a +1 or +2 pitch. If memory serves, a +1 pitch moves the balance point 5mm back.

6 hours ago, 218hockey said:

IMG-3930.jpg

The top runner looks to have a smaller radius than the bottom. Doesn't seem to be a shift in balance point, so both seem to have the same pitch to them. In both cases the top and bottom runners appear to be different profiles from one another.

Obviously, there's a human error aspect to this, so your mileage may very.