Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Znqt

True Catalyst Pro Skates

On 3/13/2023 at 6:29 AM, krisdrum said:

See if you can find a roll of "helicopter tape", designed to protect helicopter blades from damage.  Similar to what your phone screen protector film is made of and many cyclists who ride carbon fiber frames use it to protect their bikes from road or trail debris that could impact their frame and crack it.  

I have TF9s and haven't had any issues with the carbon areas.  Although I play very low level and probably am not in the situations that would cause damage very often.  

I use this: 

https://www.amazon.com/CloudBuyer-Universal-Protection-Anti-Collision-Transparent/dp/B08535P2QH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1WVZTDEQTQBTI&keywords=clear%2Burethane%2Btape%2Bprotection&qid=1678856344&sprefix=clear%2Burethane%2Btape%2Bprotection%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-1&th=1

On 3/14/2023 at 9:59 PM, VegasHockey said:

Looks like this is just ppf which isn't as durable as helicopter tape. The stuff on the cat pro def is a lot thicker and rigid than ppf. 

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Looks like this is just ppf which isn't as durable as helicopter tape. The stuff on the cat pro def is a lot thicker and rigid than ppf. 

I haven't seen helicopter tape in person, I will have to order some 

19 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Been having PPF installed on my cars for a long time now. This looks much thicker, more like the thicker protection films they now use on the rear bumper lips to protect it from taking stuff in and out of the trunk. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

I haven't seen helicopter tape in person, I will have to order some 

It's quite thicker. I just got the film today from true and the first skate took a bit of learning and using a blow dryer to soften it up so it was more pliable and easier to conform. You essentially install it the same way as PPF but because it's a bit thicker it's a little trickier. I didn't end up using a soapy water spray or a squeegee as I was able to do it was good results with just a blow dryer and my fingers. Next time I may consider using soapy water or just water to apply and see how much easier it is. You can always just cut the two sides in two pieces were there will be a seam at the heel to make installing easier, vs one while piece that wraps. 

Im definitely going to be using helicopter tape for future skates regardless of whether they are true or not. It def adds a layer of protection and will keep the skates looking good for way longer. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

Been having PPF installed on my cars for a long time now. This looks much thicker, more like the thicker protection films they now use on the rear bumper lips to protect it from taking stuff in and out of the trunk. 

You pretty much hit it spot on. That's exactly what it is. It's just a thicker more durable PPF. 

The only thing I'd do differently is to use a blow dryer to REMOVE the old film which I didn't do when I removed the one that came with my skates. I just peeled it off and bc of how sticky it is, in some small areas, the film took off a bit of clear coat and graphics from the skate. But now I know. 

1 hour ago, beedee said:

Will that stuff start to turn yellow in time?

No. Unless u get really bad quality cheap ones. But theyre not supposed to yellow. And the thing that causes yellowing is generally UV, which skates aren't going to be exposed to. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 1:08 PM, Sniper9 said:

Ordered some 8 mil thick, 3” wide helicopter tape. Only came in a length of 30’ and a pair of skates should need 3-ish feet max. Will have plenty left over in case anyone would like to buy some for Trues or any other skate for that matter 

2 hours ago, Westside said:

Ordered some 8 mil thick, 3” wide helicopter tape. Only came in a length of 30’ and a pair of skates should need 3-ish feet max. Will have plenty left over in case anyone would like to buy some for Trues or any other skate for that matter 

Nice. Where did you get yours from. The 3" is the size I'd want because that's the widest part that the ones that come with the cat pros. If you're in Canada I wouldn't mind paying for some and you can throw it in just regular letter mail. 

Aso, I realized this is prob the stuff they marketed as the film that protected hockey sticks when ops first came out. You put the film on the slash zones of the stick since that area was prone to breaking back when ops weren't as durable. Anyone remember this product?

Found it on Amazon after being directed there from a company that makes the stuff. Bought the 3” for the exact reason you mentioned. The 1” and 2” sizes seem more easily available, but wouldn’t cover the full heel of the Cats. 

I’m in the states but could always look into shipping up to Canada. Not sure if it would be easy to fold the tape to ship it in a regular envelope vs rolling the tape 

Can anyone advise if the pros can come in different sizes? I know they do the scan but I’m close to a half size different and was wondering if I could skip full custom for the pros?

16 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Can anyone advise if the pros can come in different sizes? I know they do the scan but I’m close to a half size different and was wondering if I could skip full custom for the pros?

Yes, both skates can be a different size. 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:31 PM, Sniper9 said:

Aso, I realized this is prob the stuff they marketed as the film that protected hockey sticks when ops first came out. You put the film on the slash zones of the stick since that area was prone to breaking back when ops weren't as durable. Anyone remember this product?

As a center when I was growing up, I took a ton of faceoffs and that film did help with durability. 

12 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

I haven't. Might be worth looking into. 

I'm going to try some, atm I'm just doing shooting practice with goalies and I eat thru the tape on the bottom of the blade (2 strips then a wrap, using howies tape) in a week. The vid where he cracks another stick with no damage to the blade is interesting. I wonder why they haven't advertised it as a protector for shafts.

I'm getting into TRUE and have received great responses from the CUSTOM support. I've learned that TRUE doesn't make half sizes so they put in toe foam to make them smaller. So if your a size 10.5, you'll get a size 11 skate with 1/2 inch toe inserts which you jam into the toe box. I've done it. I got a pro's size 11 and took out his 1/2 toe insert and put in new 1/4 inserts. You can google it and see TRUE show you how to do it with the "how to" series. I'm also looking to repair, replace the protective wrap aka FiberSHIELD. I was gonna spot spray it with a clear coat but now have learned from this thread it's a plastic wrap heat shrunk on so glad I didn't put epoxy on them. Thanks!!

On 3/19/2023 at 12:42 PM, Westside said:

Found it on Amazon after being directed there from a company that makes the stuff. Bought the 3” for the exact reason you mentioned. The 1” and 2” sizes seem more easily available, but wouldn’t cover the full heel of the Cats. 

I’m in the states but could always look into shipping up to Canada. Not sure if it would be easy to fold the tape to ship it in a regular envelope vs rolling the tape 

Westside, I'm interested in getting some extra helicopter tape. I'm on the East Coast. You still have it? Can you post some pics of how your skates turned out. Thanks!

2 hours ago, haminphilly2 said:

Westside, I'm interested in getting some extra helicopter tape. I'm on the East Coast. You still have it? Can you post some pics of how your skates turned out. Thanks!

I was able to get a set of the actual True protectors so I returned the helicopter tape. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help 

On 9/7/2023 at 2:29 PM, haminphilly2 said:

No, that's better. Can you tell me how to order it? Provide contact. Thanks!

Contact true they sent me a set free a few mths ago. Not sure if they are still doing this. Imo it's pointless. Yes it'll protect the skate a bit but if you get a skate cut it'll still go through and look ugly. But up to u. I ended up removing my second set I put on. 

On 4/14/2023 at 1:47 PM, VegasHockey said:

I haven't. Might be worth looking into. 

A short update on bladearmor. 

Basically it's 2 layers of stick tape with a thin plastic looking strip sandwiched in the middle. The strip is as wide as the thickness of the blade so when you tape it to the bottom of your blade it covers the bottom of the blade. The failure of the stuff is that they use stick tape for the layers, and thin stick tape at that.

I put a strip on the bottom of my blade and hit around 40 slap shots. Examining the strip showed the top layer of the tape had worn away exposing the protective strip. Played a game the next day, at the end of the game most of the top layer had worn away and where the wear was more pronounced (heel area where the stick is on the ice during a game) the top layer had worn away exposing the protective plastic looking strip which had come loose and twisted to the side of the blade. Durability - 1/10.

So whilst the idea may have some merit, the implementation isn't good. The problem is the tape they use, it is too fragile to stand any use. Save your money and buy decent stick tape, tape up well and regularly.

I can post some photos if anyone is interested.

Edited by Vet88
clarity about tape width