Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
boo10

Holder Mount Tolerances

Ordered a pair of 3S Pro skates on Black Friday and when they showed up, I found that the left holder is mounted a couple mm more forward than the right holder.  Pretty obvious when you look down from the top, as you see more of the left holder in front of the toe cap.  This seems like a very minor difference, but I previously had a pair with the same difference in holders and I kept straining my groin. Problem went away as soon as I switched skates.  Probably a coincidence, but it's in my head now.  I'm also weird in that I'm bothered when pairs of things aren't symmetrical.

Is this holder Mount difference common and does it bother anyone else?

Fyi I got the 3s pros earlier this year. Went public skating with them to feel them out. My right skates outside edge felt messed up as of my steel was uneven and the outside edge wouldn't bite. Thought it was a bad sharpening but I swapped the steel and the issue persisted. I figure the holder was mounted improperly or warped. Nothing I could see that was blatant but I didn't want to deal with getting it fixed and i had fit issues on top of it so I just returned them. 

Sorry that didn't help you but if you're not happy and you think it'll cause issues. Exchange them for another pair. 

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Fyi I got the 3s pros earlier this year. Went public skating with them to feel them out. My right skates outside edge felt messed up as of my steel was uneven and the outside edge wouldn't bite. Thought it was a bad sharpening but I swapped the steel and the issue persisted. I figure the holder was mounted improperly or warped. Nothing I could see that was blatant but I didn't want to deal with getting it fixed and i had fit issues on top of it so I just returned them. 

Sorry that didn't help you but if you're not happy and you think it'll cause issues. Exchange them for another pair. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to return them because even if it won't cause an issue with my stride, knowing that difference is there will mess with my head.  I'd say I'm ridiculously fussy about my gear, but then again, so is pretty much everyone else that frequents this site. 🤣

11 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to return them because even if it won't cause an issue with my stride, knowing that difference is there will mess with my head.  I'd say I'm ridiculously fussy about my gear, but then again, so is pretty much everyone else that frequents this site. 🤣

I'm pretty ocd but that personally wouldn't bother me unless it affected performance lol. Personally, I've never seen a holder that was mounted identical on both sides where the measurements were exact front back and sides. 

Are you going to return them altogether or exchange 

37 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I'm pretty ocd but that personally wouldn't bother me unless it affected performance lol. Personally, I've never seen a holder that was mounted identical on both sides where the measurements were exact front back and sides. 

Are you going to return them altogether or exchange 

I'm going to return them.  I got them direct from Bauer, since the local shops didn't have any stock in my size.

I'll probably go back to my original plan, which was to look for a deal on a pair of 100K Pro or 90K.

Thank god my wife tolerates my skate buying habit! lol

2 hours ago, boo10 said:

I'm going to return them.  I got them direct from Bauer, since the local shops didn't have any stock in my size.

I'll probably go back to my original plan, which was to look for a deal on a pair of 100K Pro or 90K.

Thank god my wife tolerates my skate buying habit! lol

I bought multiple pairs of 100k pros and tacks as-v's recently.  While most were very close on both the left and right skates, none were absolutely identical. Two of the six pairs were off by a noticeable amount ( one pair of as-v and one pair of 100k's ).  Thankfully those two were pairs that didn't fit properly and were getting returned anyhow.  The pair of 100k pro's i did decide to keep were very close on both sides.  Not identical, but close enough.....and I too am ocd with stuff like that........especially for $999 skates.  I think i racked up $7500 worth of skates on one months credit card bill.  Thank god for the no fuss refunds and ccm 90 day guarantee from all the retailers i bought from.

Edited by noupf
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, noupf said:

I bought multiple pairs of 100k pros and tacks as-v's recently.  While most were very close on both the left and right skates, none were absolutely identical. Two of the six pairs were off by a noticeable amount ( one pair of as-v and one pair of 100k's ).  Thankfully those two were pairs that didn't fit properly and were getting returned anyhow.  The pair of 100k pro's i did decide to keep were very close on both sides.  Not identical, but close enough.....and I too am ocd with stuff like that........especially for $999 skates.  I think i racked up $7500 worth of skates on one months credit card bill.  Thank god for the no fuss refunds and ccm 90 day guarantee from all the retailers i bought from.

How did you find the fit of the ccm. It might be just me but every single ccm skate since the as1 that I've tried on had the annoying hard plastic clip where the toe cap connects to the boot digging into my pinky toe. Even with the added foam liner that have along the entire forefoot of their boots, it still hurts like hell. I'll never wear ccm bc of this. That and the new toecaps look horrible. 

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

How did you find the fit of the ccm. It might be just me but every single ccm skate since the as1 that I've tried on had the annoying hard plastic clip where the toe cap connects to the boot digging into my pinky toe. Even with the added foam liner that have along the entire forefoot of their boots, it still hurts like hell. I'll never wear ccm bc of this. That and the new toecaps look horrible. 

That might be a you thing, not a CCM thing. Which is fine. It's impossible to fit everyone's foot shape. 

As for the holder mount. Being off by that little. Maybe you could adjust your profile to compensate for the difference. I do agree you about it possibly being mental. If you think it, chances are you'll think it's an issue even if it's not.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:57 AM, Sniper9 said:

I read the same things about the toe cap clip issue, but thankfully for me I dont notice it.  I think these 100k's are fantastic skates.  I think I did notice it in ever so slightly on one of the 100k skates that ultimately I sent back due to not being the correct size, but I also had 3 pairs of AS-V Pros and didn't notice it on any of those.  I read that ccm addressed this issue with the new AS-V's and the new Jetspeeds moving forward

Edited by noupf

7 hours ago, noupf said:

I read the same things about the toe cap clip issue, but thankfully for me I dont notice it.  I think these 100k's are fantastic skates.  I think I did notice it in ever so slightly on one of the 100k skates that ultimately I sent back due to not being the correct size, but I also had 3 pairs of AS-V Pros and didn't notice it on any of those.  I read that ccm addressed this issue with the new AS-V's and the new Jetspeeds moving forward

I still noticed it with the asv pro but it could just be my feet. Ever since I got trues my feet have been really sensitized with any type of rubbing or hard spots.