Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
akravetz

Getting ready for a possible skate replacement

I've had my Graf Ultra G5s for 12 years now. Love them but playing in two leagues, coaching and public skating is taking their toll. What's a good Graf skate that is akin to the Ultra G5. I know the company was sold and they aren't the same Graf anymore. And I know models come and go. I was looking at Nexus boots a few years ago but couldn't part with my Grafs and now they don't make Nexus anymore. I'm on the ice about five times a week, some times for two or three hours at a time. I'm not an elite player by any means nor am I am horrible. Just some average 52yo beer leaguer/rec league coach/dad. 

I'd look at other brands but I have found when I try on someone else's skate, it often feels funny (not in the fit of the boot, I get that) in the angle of the blades. Thanks. Again, this is to prepare for when my skates fall apart. Right now, they are okay shape but with a lot of nicks, cuts, scratches and bruises on them. Not a big deal but at some point, they will die. 

Andy in Peoria. 

I went to a skate shop and I'm a Nexus EE. I was trying shorts on too so I had no trainers on. I asked the lad working about this he said Supremes Fit 3, or Trues, if that is no good. True Custom. Which confirmed my suspicions. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, akravetz said:

I've had my Graf Ultra G5s for 12 years now. Love them but playing in two leagues, coaching and public skating is taking their toll. What's a good Graf skate that is akin to the Ultra G5. I know the company was sold and they aren't the same Graf anymore. And I know models come and go. I was looking at Nexus boots a few years ago but couldn't part with my Grafs and now they don't make Nexus anymore. I'm on the ice about five times a week, some times for two or three hours at a time. I'm not an elite player by any means nor am I am horrible. Just some average 52yo beer leaguer/rec league coach/dad. 

I'd look at other brands but I have found when I try on someone else's skate, it often feels funny (not in the fit of the boot, I get that) in the angle of the blades. Thanks. Again, this is to prepare for when my skates fall apart. Right now, they are okay shape but with a lot of nicks, cuts, scratches and bruises on them. Not a big deal but at some point, they will die. 

Andy in Peoria. 

Just my story, but I just spent a year or more researching skates both on here and other places ( YouTube, reddit and so on ).  My first half way decent pair of skates as an adult men's league player ( as fitted and recommended by a local pro shop ) was a pair of Graf Supra 735's from about 15 years ago.  Those skates fit my foot like a glove.  After 3-4 years, they softened up on me and I then found the top of the line ( at the time )  Graf Ultra G75's on clearance and grabbed those.  I skated a little less over the next 8 years ( life, wife, kids and so on ) with those skates, but loved them the whole time.  Fit great and very comfortable.  Never had pains or blisters even from day 1 on both grafs. 

Two years ago I decided to try and extend the life of my G75's and put new holders on them as well as profiled step steel blades.  It made them nice again for a little while, but the boot is just so old and worn in, I had to start looking else where.  I wanted to try CCM's bc of their one piece boot technology as well as their 90 day trial period.  I ended up with a pair of CCM 100K Pro's ( that after this year, CCM is discontinuing ) , as they fit like a glove right out of the box ( just like the grafs did ).  I recall my grafs feeling the same way when I first put my foot into them.....ahhhhhh good times.   Not realizing years ago how important proper size and width was, I tried on 3-4 pairs of both the AS-V Pros and 100k Pro's, but once i found the size and width that fit me best, the 100k pros felt the best.  I can now tell what a noticeable improvement there is in my skating, stride and general agility.......and they are so comfortable, with absolutely no break in needed.  No pains, no blisters, nothing.  If you can find some 100K Pros, try them out.  I see a lot of people who say that they are on the ice 4-5 days a week and they really make it a comfortable experience.  Obviously this doesn't mean they will fit you like they fit me, but if they do, they are fantastic skates.

• Like 1

Thanks. That's kinda how I am with it. I don't want to get rid of my big. clunky heavy skates which I have grown to love but I have also tried others and the runners feel weird. the angle is off and I worry that I'll have to learn how to skate all over again. Not really but you get the idea. Thanks for the information and the story. 

15 minutes ago, akravetz said:

Thanks. That's kinda how I am with it. I don't want to get rid of my big. clunky heavy skates which I have grown to love but I have also tried others and the runners feel weird. the angle is off and I worry that I'll have to learn how to skate all over again. Not really but you get the idea. Thanks for the information and the story. 

I'm 44 years old and I was in the same boat, scared of all the new stuff and the changes in the boot, holder, runners, pitch and so on.  Hated the feeling that i may have to learn how to skate all over again and look like a fool doing it.  When I ended up getting my steel profiled for my grafs, i had a nice back and forth with one of the shop owners on here that did the profiling for me.  We talked about my age, abilities, skating style, skate ( make and model ) and we went from there.  I will tell you that after that conversation, when i got new blades installed on my new holder on the grafs, it took me a 3-4 skates to feel right at home and I loved it from that moment forward.  I did the same thing with my new ccm's. kept the same profile but we altered the pitch a little to help the 100k's feel as close to the grafs as possible.  He did a great job and after 3-4 skates, I felt pretty good in the 100k's.   After another 2-3 skates, I feel even better.  Getting used to new skates, pitch, profile and all that is daunting, but it seems like the brain and body only need 5-6 skates to adjust ( assuming nothing is wildly different than what you are used to ).  Good luck !

• Like 1

I had Graf Ultra G5's for a few years as well. No matter how many punches and alterations I made, they just never had the "it" factor for me, in fact I think they are the reason I have the bumps on the base of each big toe, maybe? Anyhow I was on a quest for skates too after those and ended up in Bauer Vapor x500's for a few more years, not sure why I didnt get rid of them sooner as they were never comfortable. I now skate in Bauer Vapor 3x, Fit 2. They fit great and I have no real complaints. Didnt have to punch them or anything. The taller steel was an ordeal for me, but as far as the boot goes, its been great.