Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
iceman8310

Custom true skates vs. ccm full custom+ vs. Bauer custom

How do Custom true skates vs. ccm full custom+ vs. Bauer custom differ?  What has people’s experience been?   Retail skates don’t fit me very well anymore and I’ve been going custom since 2009.  Please don’t force retail skates on me, I’d rather do custom again.  I’ve had custom One95s, custom 11ks and custom VH/true skates.  I know that technology has improved a lot recently.  I was wonder if the process by ccm and Bauer has improved and how it has improved.  The VH skates I did with pictures and tracing still fit me the best, even after doing the scanning process with true.  Thank you in advance 

Edited by iceman8310

I can't tell you the difference from an end-user perspective as I only got my True Customs last month and finally will be using them tomorrow night for a beer league triple. What I did find out from the guys at my local Pure Hockey store is that CCM gives the most options when it comes to make the type of skate you want (the "Total Custom Plus" option). Fit-wise, I'd still think that True is the way to go because they work around your actual feet. Would be curious what others have to say. I'm looking forward to being able to officiate in total comfort for the first time ever haha.

• Like 1

If ur vh skates still fit you great I wouldn't stray from true. Ccm and Bauer customs aren't built completely custom, at least for the retail customer level. Custom Bauer and ccm for pros are way more "custom" than for the retail customer. True is as close to custom as you'll get in terms of getting pretty much what the pros get. Ccm would be a second. Then Bauer. Im sire Bauer does more of a custom skate for pros but definitely not at the retail level. 

For me I've learned that nothing retail now fits me even remotely well. Trues fit me best and even though the gear whore in me wants to try other brands everytime I do, it's a rude awakening and I always go back to my trues. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

anyone know if any of the companies make adjustments in the location of the ankle pocket?

CCM does.  A friend of mine got custom Jetspeed FT2 I think that's what they were at least when CCM first started doing the retail customs.  He had them add these fat ankle donuts for him.

11 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

CCM does.  A friend of mine got custom Jetspeed FT2 I think that's what they were at least when CCM first started doing the retail customs.  He had them add these fat ankle donuts for him.

Yeah...  Problem is adding extra padding isn't what I need.  My interior ankle bones are about an inch or so more forward than normal humans so I need the whole pocket shifted forward.

Have this exact issue and True adjusted the skate to accommodate.  Took some back and forth along with my fitting but the final skate fits brilliantly and haven't had any big issues for the 4 years Ive had them 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Yeah...  Problem is adding extra padding isn't what I need.  My interior ankle bones are about an inch or so more forward than normal humans so I need the whole pocket shifted forward.

Both custom CCM and TRUE skates have ankle foams adjusted based on your specific ankle location.

As far as I am aware, Bauer does not modify the placement of their foams. 

The retail TF9s are... pretty good. About on par for me with the fit of the Mako. Still not as good as my old custom VH though (foot tracing method, pre-scanners). Next skates will for sure be custom True. 

On 12/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

I believe that CCM can adjust the facing for you. HockeyTutorial did a nice video on it, recently. You can even get lace-lock clips added, from what they say. 

What confuses me is, if I'm getting a skate based off a 3D scan, why am I then having to tell CCM in what direction to move the ankle/facing up/down/in/out? Wouldn't they just build whatever is optimal based off my scan? Unless you're a pro and can test out different total custom boots, you're not really going to know what will work and what won't. 

Edited by pgeorgan

16 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

The retail TF9s are... pretty good. About on par for me with the fit of the Mako. Still not as good as my old custom VH though (foot tracing method, pre-scanners). Next skates will for sure be custom True. 

I have TF9 boots converted for inline and they're very good boots, but the toe cap isn't quite as comfortable for me as the Mako toe cap. I tried on a pair of Catalyst skates the other day and the Catalyst toe cap feels VERY similar to the old Mako toe cap. I believe that they'll also be using the same toe cap on the new Hzrdus skate that will replace the TF line this summer. 

On 1/21/2023 at 4:37 PM, althoma1 said:

I have TF9 boots converted for inline and they're very good boots, but the toe cap isn't quite as comfortable for me as the Mako toe cap. I tried on a pair of Catalyst skates the other day and the Catalyst toe cap feels VERY similar to the old Mako toe cap. I believe that they'll also be using the same toe cap on the new Hzrdus skate that will replace the TF line this summer. 

Oh thats good to hear! Yea the mako toe cap was wonderful! I haven't tried Catalyst because my TF9 are still pretty new. But I think I'm just going to bypass all of it and go custom next time. Which realistically is still 3-4 years away most likely at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Oh thats good to hear! Yea the mako toe cap was wonderful! I haven't tried Catalyst because my TF9 are still pretty new. But I think I'm just going to bypass all of it and go custom next time. Which realistically is still 3-4 years away most likely at this point. 

Fyi I still did my diy power foot for my cat pros. I technically didn't HAVE to since the clearance is a lot less volume in the toecap but I'm used to only about 3mm above my toes from my previous diy power foots. 

On 1/23/2023 at 5:11 PM, Sniper9 said:

Fyi I still did my diy power foot for my cat pros. I technically didn't HAVE to since the clearance is a lot less volume in the toecap but I'm used to only about 3mm above my toes from my previous diy power foots. 

Can you tell me what a diy powerfoot is? I've never heard that term before. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Mackie17 said:

Can you tell me what a diy powerfoot is? I've never heard that term before. Thanks!

Diy is just do it yourself. I make my own volume reducing foams for the toebox. I just use sheets of Eva foam from the craft or dollar store until I get the thickness I like. I build the thickness with the Eva foam but the part that would touch my toes I put a layer of dollar store memory foam shoe insoles so it's softer. I attach them to the toebox using stick on Velcro so it's removable and replaceable. I hate negative space in the toebox. This helps keep my toes and forefoot flat. 

Edited by Sniper9

16 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Diy is just do it yourself. I make my own volume reducing foams for the toebox. I just use sheets of Eva foam from the craft or dollar store until I get the thickness I like. I build the thickness with the Eva foam but the part that would touch my toes I put a layer of dollar store memory foam shoe insoles so it's softer. I attach them to the toebox using stick on Velcro so it's removable and replaceable. I hate negative space in the toebox. This helps keep my toes and forefoot flat. 

Oh ok, do you do that just to keep your foot from moving around in the boot? Why not just get a smaller size? I’ve never heard of this before so I’m genuinely interested haha.

1 hour ago, Mackie17 said:

Oh ok, do you do that just to keep your foot from moving around in the boot? Why not just get a smaller size? I’ve never heard of this before so I’m genuinely interested haha.

Google powerfoot inserts and you'll know what it's for. It has nothing to do with changing the "size" of a skate. 

6 hours ago, Mackie17 said:

The power feet are an interesting feel. If you’re intrigued, buy some or make some. I like the zero negative space feel with the very slight pressure on my toes. 

4 hours ago, start_today said:

The power feet are an interesting feel. If you’re intrigued, buy some or make some. I like the zero negative space feel with the very slight pressure on my toes. 

I’m sorry to be so annoying, but I don’t know what “powerfeet” are, all I can find on google is a foam heel insert. I’ve had the yellow Superfeet inserts, is that what you mean or is it something else entirely lol?

I’m sorry to be so annoying, but I don’t know what “powerfeet” are, all I can find on google is a foam heel insert. I’ve had the yellow Superfeet inserts, is that what you mean or is it something else entirely lol?

Start ur own thread about this. Or. Maybe use better key words on Google. 

38 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Start ur own thread about this. Or. Maybe use better key words on Google. 

Thanks bro, big help. He called them powerfeet, and I typed in powerfeet and couldn’t find anything. Why would I start a new thread for something thats already being talked about in this one?

Thanks bro, big help. He called them powerfeet, and I typed in powerfeet and couldn’t find anything. Why would I start a new thread for something thats already being talked about in this one?

Doesn't mean you should keep the topic derailed. 

Edited by Sniper9