Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
noupf

Pro stock Jetspeed FT3 Pro sticks

I’ve been using some pro stock CCM Super Tacks LK and ST 2.0 LK team sticks for the last few years and I’m down to my last new stick. 

I got a lead on some pro stock Jetspeed FT3 Pro sticks in my curve, but I’ve never used one of these “hybrid” sticks.  I’m also thinking about going from 100/95 flex sticks down to an 85 to see what all this hype is about with using more flexible sticks. 

How do these hybrid sticks shoot and was the ft3 pro a decent stick when it was out there?

If it matters, I’m also 6’4 230 lbs and a hard shooting defenseman, the only thing I’m afraid of is an 85 flex feeling too whippy compared to the 100 or 95 flexes I’m used to.  

Any info about these sticks would be greatly appreciated 

The FT3 Pro is a great stick and used by many pros still.  As for the hybrid flex, I really like it and had no adjustment at all coming from low kick sticks like Ribcors.  I like a lower flex but at your size and style an 85 might be a little whippy... I'm 5'9" 165 and use a 75 flex which is pretty easy to flex, an 85 would prob be better for me but I like the flex for my style (I prefer quicker wrist and snap shots over a big slapshot since I've been playing fwd a lot more the past few years).

It's a nice stick but I tried it after having used a trigger 5 and 6 for a few months and found the blade to be very "loud". Catching passes and stick handling came with a distinctive ping off the blade. Lol, maybe it's just my hands but when I returned to a trigger the difference was very noticeable. Durability wise the FT3 pro had some questions but don't all sticks depending on what you do with them? If you can pick it up at a good price then it's a worthwhile stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

It's a nice stick but I tried it after having used a trigger 5 and 6 for a few months and found the blade to be very "loud". Catching passes and stick handling came with a distinctive ping off the blade. Lol, maybe it's just my hands but when I returned to a trigger the difference was very noticeable. Durability wise the FT3 pro had some questions but don't all sticks depending on what you do with them? If you can pick it up at a good price then it's a worthwhile stick.

Blade dampening and pinginess as I call it. Triggers have the most dampened blades of CCM sticks so this makes sense why you noticed that.

• Like 2

I have two, both in P90TM, 65 flex and love them. I play defense and have no trouble getting quick snaps/wristers off from the inside the blue line. Took a little bit of adjusting my technique so I wasn't sailing shots over the net.

Also, bear in mind, if the sticks you're looking at are pro stock the blade construction may not be the same as the retail offerings, many times the blades will be to a player's spec with the construction/dampening and there's no real way to tell exactly how they had them made.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys..........I do have one question though, what is meant by "pinginess" and or "dampened" blades?  I realize those terms are sort of self-explanatory, but i'm not 100% sure what is meant when I hear it. 

Realistically I' like to find some super tacks models ( as1, as2 pro and so on ) that are in my flex and curve, but they are hard to come by.  I have grown very accustom to the mid-kick sticks and the stiff blades of the super tacks, I think due to my size and weight, i do well with the stiffer blades and flex type, but again, was considering the jetspeed sticks to try..... decisions decisions..... 🙂

Edited by noupf

I have a couple of retail FT3's (non pro version). They're great sticks. Definitely worth a try. If I had to describe the hybrid kick point I'd say it's feels like a mid kick but shoots like a low kick. Bottom hand placement isn't as critical as other sticks.

9 minutes ago, noupf said:

Thanks for the info guys..........I do have one question though, what is meant by "pinginess" and or "dampened" blades?  I realize those terms are sort of self-explanatory, but i'm not 100% sure what is meant when I hear it. 

Realistically I' like to find some super tacks models ( as1, as2 pro and so on ) that are in my flex and curve, but they are hard to come by.  I have grown very accustom to the mid-kick sticks and the stiff blades of the super tacks, I think due to my size and weight, i do well with the stiffer blades and flex type, but again, was considering the jetspeed sticks to try..... decisions decisions..... 🙂

It basically translates to puck feel. There are foams and often carbon "ribs" through the blade to dampen the puck and to stiffen the blade. 

This video from True shoes sort of how that works.

A more dampened blade reduces vibrations and gives a different feeling when you do everything with a puck, and it is very much a person preference of what you like and prefer. More companies are going to stiffer and stiffer blades and it ends up making them "pingier" as you can feel the vibrations a lot more off of the blade.

I LOVED the dampened blades of the Geo, Ultrasonic, Sync. Passing and stick handling just felt better to me, but again it is a personal preference thing so you have to figure out what you want more.

Got it.  So its not really so much how the blade dampens the puck when receiving a pass or stickhandling ( as I assume all blades have some sort of tech in them, ie foams and ribs in there to accomplish that ), its really more of the feeling ( a pinging or a buzzing sensation ) through the sticks shaft for taking passes and general puck handling that you would feel some pinginess when doing those tasks? 

I can only assume the sticks i've been using are kind of pingy in their own right as they are super tacks model sticks with very stiff blades and shafts.  I've never noticed anything that makes me say that it feels terrible to me, but I'm also not a slick handed stick handler either.   I just like the stiff construction and stiff blades for my shooting style as a harder shooting defenseman ( mostly hard wristers and slappers ).

It almost sounds like the jetspeed might not be too far off from what i've been using when it comes to blade feel, but I'd be experimenting with an 85 flex when I've been using 100's and 95's as a bigger player....

Edited by noupf

19 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Read that too......but arent pro stocks usually made a little more durable?  At least that was my understanding over the years.

1 hour ago, noupf said:

Read that too......but arent pro stocks usually made a little more durable?  At least that was my understanding over the years.

Not really... depends on the "pro stock" and the model. If it is a "pro stock" but really a junior team or college team it might be more beefed than a retail stick. But then there are a bunch of NHL sticks that have SUPER flimsy blades that basically fall apart after 5 skates because of the specs on them.

The "pro stock" stick that OP was using is the same "TEAM" stick that CCM has offered for years. It has been dressed as a JetSpeed for the last several seasons (in the FT3 retail look)

If this is the "Pro stock" OP is talking about, then he shouldn't have an issues as it is essentially the same thing he had.

If he is looking at "FT3 Pro" sticks being retail versions of the JS FT3 Pro, they absolutely have durability issues and were a huge issue with CCM. 

If he is looking at "FT3 Pro" sticks being pro-stock sticks dressed as FT3 Pros, he more than likely is purchasing something that truthfully there is no way for common folk to find out what it is. Could be OG Trigger, Tacks AS1, OG JetSpeed - no way of knowing. Also wouldn't know what blade stiffness is in the stick, either.  If he has a very nice relationship with a rep or the store has a great relationship with their rep I'm sure they can get that information for him. These sticks would most likely be lighter than the Pro Stock Team stick he is used to and durability should be marginally worse

26 minutes ago, raganblink said:

The "pro stock" stick that OP was using is the same "TEAM" stick that CCM has offered for years. It has been dressed as a JetSpeed for the last several seasons (in the FT3 retail look)

If this is the "Pro stock" OP is talking about, then he shouldn't have an issues as it is essentially the same thing he had.

If he is looking at "FT3 Pro" sticks being retail versions of the JS FT3 Pro, they absolutely have durability issues and were a huge issue with CCM. 

If he is looking at "FT3 Pro" sticks being pro-stock sticks dressed as FT3 Pros, he more than likely is purchasing something that truthfully there is no way for common folk to find out what it is. Could be OG Trigger, Tacks AS1, OG JetSpeed - no way of knowing. Also wouldn't know what blade stiffness is in the stick, either.  If he has a very nice relationship with a rep or the store has a great relationship with their rep I'm sure they can get that information for him. These sticks would most likely be lighter than the Pro Stock Team stick he is used to and durability should be marginally worse

Thanks for the input.  I saw the build stickers for these ( 2HSMHK3SP ) and cross referenced it with some codes i found in the sports2k website thread about pro stock sticks.  I'm fairly certain that they are in fact Jetspped FT3 Pro pro stock builds,( and definitely  not team sticks ).  I do recall the team pro stocks that i've been using being billed as slightly sturdier than other pro stocks ( and slighlty heavier ), so these jetspeeds would likely be lighter and a little less durable is what you are saying, correct?     

Edited by noupf

1 minute ago, noupf said:

Thanks for the input.  I saw the build stickers for these and they are in fact Jetspped FT3 Pro pro stock builds, not team sticks.  I do recall the team pro stocks that i've been using being billed as slightly sturdier than other pro stocks, so these jetspeeds would likely be lighter and a little less durable is what you are saying, correct?     

Yes 100% correct unless they're ST2.0 builds dressed as FT3P - I think that was the most durable stick ever. We had teams who did the team stick re-order before teams that gave their player the top-end sticks. Crazy durability 

6 minutes ago, raganblink said:

Yes 100% correct unless they're ST2.0 builds dressed as FT3P - I think that was the most durable stick ever. We had teams who did the team stick re-order before teams that gave their player the top-end sticks. Crazy durability 

yes, i'm onto my last ST 2.0 team stick and its amazing how long they hold up.  I don't necessarily need a 385~ gram stick, i think i weighed one of the team stick ST2.0's and it came in around 425 at the full 69.5" length ( and I chop off about 1.5 inches from that ) so for me, they a lite enough.  I'd love to find some more of the super tacks or ST 2.0 teams skticks in my build, but its near impossible now, which is why im looking for some new sticks.   thanks for the input.

Edited by noupf

7 hours ago, noupf said:

For the old relics like me, I'd say the best way to describe it is that the more dampened a blade is, those closer it feels to using a wooden blade.  A pingier blade will transfer more vibrations up the shaft into your hands.

• Like 1