Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Cal

Tydan Power Cut Profile

Anyone tried this profile? Tydan Power Cut (10-10.75-12.5-10.75-10)

Looking for more speed from my current Zuperior S with 5mm pitch profile.   Any recommendations?

At this point, it feels like companies are just rolling some various number of dice, then whatever numbers come up, making it a profile and marketing it as some mix of speed and agility. 

It’s like making a D&D character, but for skate blades. I’m getting elf/mage/warrior/thief for my next quad profile. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, start_today said:

At this point, it feels like companies are just rolling some various number of dice, then whatever numbers come up, making it a profile and marketing it as some mix of speed and agility. 

It’s like making a D&D character, but for skate blades. I’m getting elf/mage/warrior/thief for my next quad profile. 

Yep, and the funny thing is, the vast majority of players don't even know what a profile is.  They may have a concept of a profile, but just say, "I'm gonna get my skates profiled" and have no clue that is actually happening.  Seems like all of these variations are just trying to slice one of the smallest pieces of the hockey pie into even smaller pieces.  

On 12/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, smcgreg said:

Yep, and the funny thing is, the vast majority of players don't even know what a profile is.  They may have a concept of a profile, but just say, "I'm gonna get my skates profiled" and have no clue that is actually happening.  Seems like all of these variations are just trying to slice one of the smallest pieces of the hockey pie into even smaller pieces.  

This.  Aside from the fact most people don't know what profiling is, the data and expertise to match profiles to players is not there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I'm not sure about that...

I think most know what it is, they just don't care, or they refer to it by some other name. 

If you get new skates, step on the ice and something feels off, the smart player would take it to a proshop and ask what's going on. Hopefully the proshop would then explain what a profile is. 

The more likely scenario is they have no idea how easily their profile can be ruined. 

I am pretty confident in my assessment that most don't know.  Heck 50% rec players don't even know what ROH they skate on.   They take them to a shop who sharpens them and that's the extent of their knowledge.  Then 25% know what ROH they get, but don't know what it is, then there is another 25% that actually know what it is.  That last 25% may be an overestimation though.  I have sooo many humorous anecdotes about the extent of this lack of knowledge that it is sometimes sad.

In the case of profiling though, I am quite confident that for the vast majority, "profiling" is this mythical thing that some people get if they are really concerned about their skates.  Within that minority, for those who have taken the time and effort to figure out what profiling is and what different profiles are, they know.  I am quite confident that the majority of the hockey populace have no clue what a profile actually is, let alone the details.  People corresponding on this forum are in the tiny sliver of a minority that know what the heck things are.  I don't have quantitative data to back it up, but quite a bit of empirical experience.  I am willing to have somebody with actual market research to show me I am wrong though. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

They might not know the intricacies or be able to explain in depth, but I think they know there is thing thing called a profile and it shapes your skates. 

Especially after Bauer plastered it all over the inside of their skate boxes. 

The majority of players haven't bought new skates in the last 2 years. 

Two things, then I will be done.  1) I was actually going to acknowledge that with the relatively recent marketing and proliferation of profiling systems the "knowledge" of the existence of profiling is increasing.  2) Again though, if you do the math, a good chunk of players are older, casual players who don't pay attention to that or would not be aware.  For those that aren't older, again, still casual and not paying attention to those types of things.  The marketing is being done to the small chunk of players who have gobs of disposable income and spend $1k on skates alone.  That is not the majority of players.  Without the actual market research, this is all speculation, but until very recently (last two years), I still stand by my assertions.  I'm done arguing speculation based on experience though.  thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 9:32 PM, pgeorgan said:

You'd honestly have to be living under a rock if, in the last two years, you had not hear about Bauer's "agility" and "power" profiles. 

This isn't really speculation on my part. I'm only making a few - very sound - assumptions: 

1) Bauer are the most popular skates

2) A majority of hockey players have looked at a pair of Bauers, either in person, or online. If even just for window shopping. 

I’m afraid I agree with smcgreg, a large majority of rec players are unaware what profiling actually is. Most have “heard” of it but rarely will people understand annything about it. And it’s true that a large percentage of players do not even know their own ROH! They just get the “standard sharpen”. 

also I haven’t heard of any of those Bauer profiles myself haha. I’m very familiar with the pro sharp profiles and various others like cag, tydan power etc. I skate on a quad 0 profile myself so I’m aware of the process significantly but I did not know of those Bauer profiles. 

Edited by Wrxnch-

From my experiences in lockerooms, lots of guys think of profiling essentially as:

guy A: “my new steel is so tall and I keep catching the her and toe”

Guy B: “the shop can grind down your blades to match the weird messed up shape of your old blades.“

They know the new steel has too much heel and toe for them, but rather than making any adaptations or learning what profiling actually is, they want the new $100+ runners to be shaped to the same ugly banana radius the shop mangled their old blades too. 

It’s like they have just enough info to completely confuse and misunderstand what it actually is. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, start_today said:

From my experiences in lockerooms, lots of guys think of profiling essentially as:

Guy B: “the shop can grind down your blades to match the weird messed up shape of your old blades.“

They know the new steel has too much heel and toe for them, but rather than making any adaptations or learning what profiling actually is, they want the new $100+ runners to be shaped to the same ugly banana radius the shop mangled their old blades too. 

It’s like they have just enough info to completely confuse and misunderstand what it actually is. 

I have had so many people question that the tips of the blades aren't sharp when I sharpen their skates... but then I have to explain how no, you aren't skating on the 8mms of space from the holder to your skate. The shops just bananad your steel and you will be fine.

55 minutes ago, Hills said:

I have had so many people question that the tips of the blades aren't sharp when I sharpen their skates... but then I have to explain how no, you aren't skating on the 8mms of space from the holder to your skate. The shops just bananad your steel and you will be fine.

I would say 95% or more players do not use that area and only use the "working area" on the steel. However, there are about 5% of elite level players that do in fact use that portion of the steel.

Some skating coaches, like Katy Jo for example, are really focused on trying to get players up on their toes. I think many of these skating coaches who are teaching this were previously figure skaters, so I have mixed feelings about such. 

18 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

I would say 95% or more players do not use that area and only use the "working area" on the steel. However, there are about 5% of elite level players that do in fact use that portion of the steel.

Some skating coaches, like Katy Jo for example, are really focused on trying to get players up on their toes. I think many of these skating coaches who are teaching this were previously figure skaters, so I have mixed feelings about such. 

Who is using the last 8mm of steel and what are they using it for?  You would be almost vertical.  I always thought of Katy Jo as good at marketing.  Maybe it's lost in translation but a couple of her ideas seem a bit off- no pushing to the side, stopping on the flats of your blade vs. your edges.  There are plenty of successful high level skating coaches with figure skating backgrounds.

On 1/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, start_today said:

Yup, 100%. I have a buddy who replaced his old LS2 with LS4 and couldn't stand how the steel felt. I sent him all kinds of info about profiling and even offered to take them to a reputable shop for him. He ended up exchanging the LS4 for LS2, said he couldn't be bothered to relearn how to skate on new steel. I'm fairly certain he would have paid someone to grind the LS4 down had I not said something to him.

Honestly, the same goes for new skates. No matter how many times I caution people about the stiffness and height of the boot I still hear people complain about not being able to skate in the new ski boot skates. Dude, just drop and eyelet and get a decent profile....

18 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Yup, 100%. I have a buddy who replaced his old LS2 with LS4 and couldn't stand how the steel felt. I sent him all kinds of info about profiling and even offered to take them to a reputable shop for him. He ended up exchanging the LS4 for LS2, said he couldn't be bothered to relearn how to skate on new steel. I'm fairly certain he would have paid someone to grind the LS4 down had I not said something to him.

Honestly, the same goes for new skates. No matter how many times I caution people about the stiffness and height of the boot I still hear people complain about not being able to skate in the new ski boot skates. Dude, just drop and eyelet and get a decent profile....

I had a guy come in once and pay $120 to run 120 passes on each of his new LS Pulse TI steel blades on our ProSharp machine to decrease the height. I told him profiling could accomplish the same thing for less and he insisted that he just wanted them shorter, and he didn't want to relearn how to skate. I smiled, said no problem, and tossed them on the machine and let it do its thing. 

When he came to pick them up, I asked him what to sharpen them to and he told me 3/8". I asked him twice to confirm he did indeed want 3/8" and he confirmed both times. I didn't even bother trying to offer him a more shallow hollow at that point. I knew it was a lost cause. 

Moral of the story, some people really dislike change. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pgeorgan said:

One of the best skaters I've ever played with uses 3/8", and he's a big dude! 

There are a couple of good guys (NCAA D1/Ex-NHL) I skate with that likely skate on something close to a 3/8" or 7/16".

They have a friend who is a retired equipment manager who sharpens their steel, and they don't even know what hollow they skate on. 

I checked their steel with an HDI, since I was nosey, and it was between 5/16 and 7/16 so I assume its 3/8. 

2 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I find just not cinching at all on the last eyelet is sufficient. 

If you really need to completely undo the top eyelet, I think there's maybe a mobility issue going on that should be addressed. 

For me, lacing the top eyelet is the mobility issue. Some skates I can lace all the way up, some I can't. My 100k pros feel the best when I skip the one down from the top. Sounds odd, but its the perfect amount of lateral support and forward flexion. 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

For me, lacing the top eyelet is the mobility issue. Some skates I can lace all the way up, some I can't. My 100k pros feel the best when I skip the one down from the top. Sounds odd, but its the perfect amount of lateral support and forward flexion. 

Thats how I lace mine as well. 

On 12/24/2022 at 2:50 PM, Cal said:

Anyone tried this profile? Tydan Power Cut (10-10.75-12.5-10.75-10)

Looking for more speed from my current Zuperior S with 5mm pitch profile.   Any recommendations?

Did you try the powercut ? If so what were your thoughts?

On 5/3/2023 at 6:42 AM, Gally1111 said:

Did you try the powercut ? If so what were your thoughts?

It feels slightly similar to the SSM Natural profile, but less aggressive in the toe and heel  with a little less glide. If you prefer a less aggressive heel and toe and are looking for more agility than glide, the Power Cut is a good option. I personally like the SSM Natural and also the Skatescribe Power Cut profile. For those not familiar with the SSM Natural here is that information: 

SSM has developed a set of multi-radius profiles in connection with the Sweden Hockey Institute. The SSM Natural Curve combines 4 radii and pitch to optimize your performance. The Natural Curve can be customized by adding pitch. The approximate specifications for the Natural Curve are (A) 4.9’, (B) 9.84’, (C) 26.24’, (D) 6.56’ where “A” is the front most section of the profile and “D” is the back.

• Radius A : A small radius gives perfect insertion and fast acceleration.
  • Radius B : Choose from 10’ to 13’ for a combination of mobility and glide.
  • Radius C A large radius improves glide / stability / balance.
  • Radius D : A small radius makes the profile fit an existing shape of a skate blade.

The list below details the SSM Natural Curve profile options:

• Natural Curve Quick, Radii A, 10’, C, D (246-254)
  • Natural Curve Quick, Radii A, 10’, C, D (263-272)
  • Natural Curve Quick, Radii A, 10’, C, D (280-288)
  • Natural Curve Quick, Radii A, 10’, C, D (296-306)
  • Natural Curve 11, Radii A, 11’, C, D (263-272)
  • Natural Curve 11, Radii A, 11’, C, D (280-288)
  • Natural Curve 11, Radii A, 11’, C, D (296-306)
  • Natural Curve 12, Radii A, 12’, C, D (263-272)
  • Natural Curve 12, Radii A, 12’, C, D (280-288)
  • Natural Curve 12, Radii A, 12’, C, D (296-306)
  • Natural Curve 13, Radii A, 13, C, D (263-272)
  • Natural Curve 13, Radii A, 13’, C, D (280-288)
  • Natural Curve 13, Radii A, 13, C, D (296-306)
Edited by VegasHockey

9 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

It feels slightly similar to the SSM Natural profile, but less aggressive in the toe and heel  with a little less glide. If you prefer a less aggressive heel and toe and are looking for more agility than glide, the Power Cut is a good option. I personally like the SSM Natural and also the Skatescribe Power Cut profile. For those not familiar with the SSM Natural here is that information: 

SSM has developed a set of multi-radius profiles in connection with the Sweden Hockey Institute. The SSM Natural Curve combines 4 radii and pitch to optimize your performance. The Natural Curve can be customized by adding pitch. The approximate specifications for the Natural Curve are (A) 4.9’, (B) 9.84’, (C) 26.24’, (D) 6.56’ where “A” is the front most section of the profile and “D” is the back.

• Radius A: A small radius gives perfect insertion and fast acceleration.
  • Radius B: Choose from 10’ to 13’ for a combination of mobility and glide.
  • Radius 😄 A large radius improves glide / stability / balance.
  • Radius 😧 A small radius makes the profile fit an existing shape of a skate blade.

Very interesting,  thank you for the post!

My son tried the powercut and although he loved it he seemed a bit flat. Speed and agility were really good but accelaration seemed a touch slower. I just got them done to a powercut 2 which adds 0.2 degrees of pitch which I'm hoping gets that accelaration going. Looks good in practice so far,  hasnt tried them in a game yet.

On 6/26/2023 at 1:13 AM, VegasHockey said:

• Radius A : A small radius gives perfect insertion and fast acceleration.
  • Radius B : Choose from 10’ to 13’ for a combination of mobility and glide.
  • Radius C A large radius improves glide / stability / balance.
  • Radius D : A small radius makes the profile fit an existing shape of a skate blade.

Do you have any info on Skatescribe's profiles? I can't find anything. "Atomic K-Cut", "Apex" and "Velvet" just to name a few...

6 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Do you have any info on Skatescribe's profiles? I can't find anything. "Atomic K-Cut", "Apex" and "Velvet" just to name a few...

I do. Need to request if they will allow me to share that information, though. Stay tuned. 

8 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

I do. Need to request if they will allow me to share that information, though. Stay tuned. 

Haha ok. I figured it might be proprietary or something. Well they're being sold on Tydan's website, so. I was keen to maybe grab a pair but not sure I'd spend the money if it's just a black box. 

20 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Woof. Those sound like the names if you could order knockoff profiles from AliExpress or Tron the same way you can order knock off sticks. 

“I got the Velvet profile on my Steep steel that I have in my HockeyStickMan BlackOut Skates. I am certain they are all just rebranded Bauer stuff, I got such a good deal.”

3 minutes ago, start_today said:

Woof. Those sound like the names if you could order knockoff profiles from AliExpress or Tron the same way you can order knock off sticks. 

“I got the Velvet profile on my Steep steel that I have in my HockeyStickMan BlackOut Skates. I am certain they are all just rebranded Bauer stuff, I got such a good deal.”

Lmao. No doubt. But I'll give anything a chance!