Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
strosedefence34

4500 not in the new Bauer catalog

2 hours ago, 218hockey said:

What's the allure of the 4500?

It’s insanely comfy. I just got one after way too long with a Bauer HH5000 that was just a terrible fit anyway.

I tried on newer helmets before settling on the 4500 and they all felt all plastic-like inside, without the soft grip of the 4500, sliding around and whatnot.

4500’s a classic that just works. Like the tapered MacBook Air or iPhone < 4 body.

8 hours ago, 218hockey said:

What's the allure of the 4500?

It's just very comfortable.  I had a similar experience to @flip12.  I was using a Bauer 5000 that didn't fit great and switched back in college to a 4500 back when it was branded Nike Bauer.  I have just replaced them over the years as they either cracked or got warn out.  I just got a new one for Christmas but with the news of them discontinuing it I may try on some of the newer helmets and return the one I got. 

The 4500 is definitely the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn until I picked up a Tacks X. Of course, a 4500 costs well under $100 and even a discounted price stock X costs double 

The CCM V08 is a similar fit and same padding as a 4500 and still readily available (Dicks was selling them new still just a couple months ago).  Personally I think the V08 is a better looking helmet but that's all preference... it's one of the most used helmets in the NHL so I don't think I'm alone there lol.  Just be aware the CCM runs bigger than Bauer... I'm a medium in Bauer but a small in CCM.  Of course now with that said I've ditched all my V08's and started using a CCM 910 which is way more comfortable and lighter (and supposedly more safe?).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

The CCM V08 is a similar fit and same padding as a 4500 and still readily available (Dicks was selling them new still just a couple months ago).  Personally I think the V08 is a better looking helmet but that's all preference... it's one of the most used helmets in the NHL so I don't think I'm alone there lol.  Just be aware the CCM runs bigger than Bauer... I'm a medium in Bauer but a small in CCM.  Of course now with that said I've ditched all my V08's and started using a CCM 910 which is way more comfortable and lighter (and supposedly more safe?).

I’ve tried a V08 in the past. A size down from my Bauer. While the fit was fine just wasn’t for me. I’m leaning more towards keeping this one and figuring it out down the road when I need a new helmet. For me I just don’t like the idea that I’ll never be able to get another one at retail. I use pro stock gear but I’m not one to shy away from retail stuff either. I know these will be available as pro stock but I feel like as more and more people who grew up on newer tech enter the nhl it’s only a matter of time before Bauer stops making them completely. 

The 4500 never fit me (going back to its initial Cooper days), so please take this with a grain of salt.  But, I picked up a Tacks 710 helmet recently, and it's been very comfortable.  It's definitely pricier than the 4500, but also much cheaper than some of the other options out there.  I don't like the way it looks as much as the 4500, but I think it has a slightly similar low-profile appearance (and is also quite light).

5 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Went to Pure Hockey and tried on a ReAkt 150.  I really liked the fit and it felt pretty comfortable.  I am going to think about swapping it out.

Get it or even a re akt 85

Edited by OldCY
Input
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, bl4 said:

The 4500 never fit me (going back to its initial Cooper days), so please take this with a grain of salt.  But, I picked up a Tacks 710 helmet recently, and it's been very comfortable.  It's definitely pricier than the 4500, but also much cheaper than some of the other options out there.  I don't like the way it looks as much as the 4500, but I think it has a slightly similar low-profile appearance (and is also quite light).

The 4500 is more of an oval fit where as the 710 is a round/square fit.  I tried the predecessor of the 710 (which I think was the resistance or 110?) and got rid of it after 1 skate since it was too round of a fit, I went back to the V08 after that until I found the 910 which is also an oval fit and works great for me.  My son has the opposite issue, he has a round head and all the oval fit helmets crush the sides of his head 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

I'd probably get the 150 if anything.  The 85 looks like it has a similar if not the same shell design but I didn't see any to try on.

I have a 150. Very comfy. I think the 85 is very similar fit. 

I wore a 4500 my whole life and recently switched to the ReAkt 150. I don’t think I can ever go back to VN padding. I feel like Bauer finally nailed it with the 150 in terms of protection/comfort/ventilation/looks and its NHL adoption rate reflects that. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

I wore a 4500 my whole life and recently switched to the ReAkt 150. I don’t think I can ever go back to VN padding. I feel like Bauer finally nailed it with the 150 in terms of protection/comfort/ventilation/looks and its NHL adoption rate reflects that. 

Everything you said it why I am considering it.  It has been a few years since I purchased a new 4500 so maybe I will try it on and see how it fits and make a decision off of that.

I'm kind of in the "figured it'd happen sooner" camp here. Then again, helmets like the Bauer 4500 and CCM HT2 (which was actually axed quite a while back) were around for so long and were so iconic that I figured they would've at least kept the shell and replaced the innards with modern tech. My kingdom for an HT2 with a 910/SuperTacks X system on the inside.

Oh and by the way, if you're a fan of the RE-AKT 95 like I am, it looks like that helmet's going the way of the dodo as well. However, I think something similar's replacing it, albeit at a lower price point.

10 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

Really?   It’s a great helmet 

It's the first helmet I've owned that I actually look forward to wearing.

I've been using this helmet since it's iteration as a 3000, then went on to have a couple of them as a 4000, and have had three or four 4500s since. When National Sports went out of business in Canada a couple years back, I picked up two more just in case this happened. I still wear one with a bird cage for men's league and another one for coaching. It's also almost time for my son to get a new lid and I keep telling him how great the 4500 is, not sure he agrees, but we'll see what he likes best. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ggmunsen said:

I've been using this helmet since it's iteration as a 3000, then went on to have a couple of them as a 4000, and have had three or four 4500s since. When National Sports went out of business in Canada a couple years back, I picked up two more just in case this happened. I still wear one with a bird cage for men's league and another one for coaching. It's also almost time for my son to get a new lid and I keep telling him how great the 4500 is, not sure he agrees, but we'll see what he likes best. 

I did the same thing. Figured worst case I won't lose on it if I never use it and decide to sell. Although I wish I had bought 2 like yourself, I grabbed just 1 and then picked up another from PHL last week after reading this thread. 

• Like 1

I love the 4500 helmet. I've been wearing them for nearly 20 years. They fit me perfectly and I think the 4500 combined with the Profile II cage is the best looking combo out there. It's a real shame Bauer is discontinuing it. A ton of NHLers are still wearing the 4500. Even some guys who were wearing more modern helmets have switched to the 4500 relatively recently, like Duchene and Konecny.

I just ordered a couple so that I have a stock available for when they run out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Maybe they'll bring it back with some better foams and better concussion protection. 

I used to wear one for the sty, but frankly the updated helmets are 10x more comfortable. 

But that’s just like your opinion man.

Better concussion protection by what measure?

I decided to pick up a ReAkt 150.  Only played once with it but honestly super impressed.  Very light weight and fit great.  No hotspots or anything.  I'll miss the 4500 but we had a good run but it was time for something newer.  My only complaint is that my 580 cage seems to weigh the helmet down a little.  I need CCM to come out with a titanium 580 and I'll be set.