Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
strosedefence34

4500 not in the new Bauer catalog

2 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

The Dude abides. 

Virginia Tech Helmet Ratings

Good lord, that can of worms again.

You don't need to hit your head to get concussed. It's happened to me. No helmet on the planet can slow the brains movement within the skull.

Edited by stick9

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

That's a different argument, but sure. 

Not saying you need a top 3 helmet from this list, but 35? 

I'd prefer a newer tech like D3O or XRD. 

Also, how many beer leaguers are using a 4500 that's well past its HECC and/or CSA expiry? 

I totally get it. Personally, I think it's better to be prepared in case something does happen. 

I never understood the love for those old foams. Newer helmets are so much more comfortable and the look side of it is silly. The only time you see your helmet is when I put it on. But it's hockey. Guys NEED to wear the same stuff they wore when they were 12. 

9 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

I decided to pick up a ReAkt 150.  Only played once with it but honestly super impressed.  Very light weight and fit great.  No hotspots or anything.  I'll miss the 4500 but we had a good run but it was time for something newer.  My only complaint is that my 580 cage seems to weigh the helmet down a little.  I need CCM to come out with a titanium 580 and I'll be set.

The Bauer Profile II is a bit lighter with thinner bars while having the same look and setup as the 580. I use the “oreo” version and love it. 

10 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

I decided to pick up a ReAkt 150.  Only played once with it but honestly super impressed.  Very light weight and fit great.  No hotspots or anything.  I'll miss the 4500 but we had a good run but it was time for something newer.  My only complaint is that my 580 cage seems to weigh the helmet down a little.  I need CCM to come out with a titanium 580 and I'll be set.

Does anyone know when the titanium Bauer III cage will be released?  It's in the 2023 catalog.

14 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

The Bauer Profile II is a bit lighter with thinner bars while having the same look and setup as the 580. I use the “oreo” version and love it. 

I wear a Large 580.  I tried a Large Profile II and it was a little too short.  The chin cup covered my mouth.  I am not really a weight weenie just think since the 150 is so light compared to the 4500 a titanium black 580 would be a nice touch.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 11:00 AM, stick9 said:

Good lord, that can of worms again.

You don't need to hit your head to get concussed. It's happened to me. No helmet on the planet can slow the brains movement within the skull.

Not the best testing 

I ordered a 4500/Profile II combo to stock up before the 4500 is discontinued. I hadn't realized that Bauer changed the shape of the Profile II cage. That was their best looking cage IMO. Now it sticks out way farther and looks sort of goofy. Is there another option from Bauer or another manufacturer that is similar to the old Profile II? I know CCM had the FM480, which was similar to the old-school Jofa cage. Is the CCM FM580 the same, or did they also mess with the shape?

Edited by AnimalFear

1 hour ago, AnimalFear said:

I ordered a 4500/Profile II combo to stock up before the 4500 is discontinued. I hadn't realized that Bauer changed the shape of the Profile II cage. That was their best looking cage IMO. Now it sticks out way farther and looks sort of goofy. Is there another option from Bauer or another manufacturer that is similar to the old Profile II? I know CCM had the FM480, which was similar to the old-school Jofa cage. Is the CCM FM580 the same, or did they also mess with the shape?

The Profile II is still the same, they released a Profile III which has a different (more ugly) shape and slightly different shaped bars (shape wise it's closer to the Reakt Ti cage which sticks out farther uo top and has an odd angle at the bottom).  The Profile II is still the best one out there imo, wish they released a titanium version of it.

The 580 is pretty much identical to the 480.  I tried a profile but it's not long enough.  A large profile fits more like a medium 480/580 on me.

23 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

The Profile II is still the same, they released a Profile III which has a different (more ugly) shape and slightly different shaped bars (shape wise it's closer to the Reakt Ti cage which sticks out farther uo top and has an odd angle at the bottom).  The Profile II is still the best one out there imo, wish they released a titanium version of it.

They definitely changed the Profile II. It's not nearly as flat as it used to be. I can upload pics of my old Profile II I bought in 2015 and the one I just got last week. Based on some research, it sounds like they changed the shape in 2018. It's a shame because you're right, the Profile II was the best cage out there.

Edited by AnimalFear

They definitely changed the Profile II. It's not nearly as flat as it used to be. I can upload pics of my old Profile II I bought in 2015 and the one I just got last week. Based on some research, it sounds like they changed the shape in 2018. It's a shame because you're right, the Profile II was the best cage out there.

I'd be curious to see.  I know the ones I've bought back in 2016 are the same as the last one I got a year or so ago (after buying a profile III and hating it and going back and forth on a Titanium reakt which just doesn't look right to me lol).  I've had it in white, grey, and oreo over the years, other than looking the best it fits my face the best... a large profile II is right between a medium and a large CCM cage which is just right.

On 1/21/2023 at 2:19 AM, iceman8310 said:

Not the best testing 

Funny you should mention, because I looked up HECC and CSA and could find nothing on their testing. Well, I did find that HECC just defers to CSA, and CSA, if they even do link to their methodologies, are impossible to find. 

Edited by pgeorgan
  • Like 1