Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
burrheadjr

What is the oddest hockey equipment ever?

52 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Bauer made the SGX 90, a shin pad with built in knee brace. (I vaguely remember Eric Lindros being the poster boy for these, as they were originally produced for him)

B4DDDB19-33F4-46EC-8D7C-12973B8E0863.jpeg

I remember those. Elbow pads like it too. That was my first thought. With the return of the hinged skate maybe they’ll do a protective rerun as well. 

The half cage.  The shitty visibility of a cage with the lack of protection of a half shield. The worst of two worlds. 

The Hockey Samurai 侍 on Twitter: "@oshawacity @Oshawa_Generals @hccska The  #Bucketlist Team Jofa. Three buckets for the price of one. Wayne Gretzky,  Jari Kurri & Esa Tikkanen. #LetsGoOilers 30/31 (a new bucket

TBlades 

t-blade Hockey (@tblade_hockey) / Twitter

Edited by Monty22
  • Like 4

Some thoughts:

The Hespeler "offset" sticks and blades of the late 90s.  The claimed benefit was that they were supposed to keep your hands in front of the puck.

TBlades - I am still baffled by these.

Mission's 3-finger gloves of the late 90s/early 00s.  I had a pair of these and actually really liked them.  The claimed benefit was that they combined two weaker fingers into one stronger one.  I don't know if I buy that, but they were comfortable (perhaps veering a bit too close to hockey mittens)

Cooperalls

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bl4 said:

Some thoughts:

The Hespeler "offset" sticks and blades of the late 90s.  The claimed benefit was that they were supposed to keep your hands in front of the puck.

TBlades - I am still baffled by these.

Mission's 3-finger gloves of the late 90s/early 00s.  I had a pair of these and actually really liked them.  The claimed benefit was that they combined two weaker fingers into one stronger one.  I don't know if I buy that, but they were comfortable (perhaps veering a bit too close to hockey mittens)

Cooperalls

Some good ones in here, I forgot about those ninja turtle gloves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, burrheadjr said:

Some good ones in here, I forgot about those ninja turtle gloves.

I have the traditionally 4-fingered (+thumb) Mission Warp 2s from that era in my basement. The break pattern on the backhand and fingers was way ahead of its time, but a lot of small details were poorly executed or mistaken in their premises. Biggest issue is the thumb-index junction is too shallow, forcing the index finger into an awkward position. Otherwise, the feel is almost as natural as AK27 gloves…maybe no wonder because Kovalev experimented with Mission gloves of that vintage.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, OldCY said:

Louisville lock jaw

Weird yes, but I used these back in Bantam in the mid-1990s with a Bauer Composite shaft. Kept two blades in my bag and could change them out in seconds. The lock-jaw system actually worked really well. 

• Like 3

Those battery powered heated skate blades that were super heavy and had dubious science behind them. 

Roller hockey, but those Mission skates that didn’t have traditional grommets and had hiking boot style quick tightening nylon pull throughs (there’s gotta be a name those that I’m blanking on). It was like Mission had a cool idea and did no longer term stress testing and everyone’s “eyelets” ripped out in three months. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OldCY said:

The messier cascade helmet was pretty “odd” too.  By the end of the game you had corpsegrinder neck

I feel like the number of people who both post on this forum and get the oblique death metal references have to pretty small. 

1 hour ago, start_today said:

I feel like the number of people who both post on this forum and get the oblique death metal references have to pretty small. 

Horns up

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Those battery powered heated skate blades that were super heavy and had dubious science behind them. 

Roller hockey, but those Mission skates that didn’t have traditional grommets and had hiking boot style quick tightening nylon pull throughs (there’s gotta be a name those that I’m blanking on). It was like Mission had a cool idea and did no longer term stress testing and everyone’s “eyelets” ripped out in three months. 

Nike Quest 1s featured similar nylon loops instead of eyelets over the forefoot. They cleverly covered the loops with pleather facing to prevent them from get sliced by skate blades.

3 hours ago, start_today said:

You'd be surprised, though I may have called it slayer neck, obvious Tom A reference. 

29 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

V-Form inline skates. fr5xsnw70m531.jpg

These are riveted on, remember the ones that had something marketed like “quick change chasis” and you could take the whole chasis off and flip it to the other skate, for a lazy wheel rotation? 

(unless I’m confusing two CCM in-line bizzaro chassis)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, start_today said:

These are riveted on, remember the ones that had something marketed like “quick change chasis” and you could take the whole chasis off and flip it to the other skate, for a lazy wheel rotation? 

(unless I’m confusing two CCM in-line bizzaro chassis)

I think those were the CCM chassis. The Vforms (at least the ones the shop I worked at) were some of the heaviest skates I ever encountered. 

I may be misremembering the name, but I believe it was RocketHockey sticks, they were a shaft with a hole in the tenon, and blades with snap button built into the hosel for easy removal/changing. Think the Harpoon system but worse. 
and the kicker was, they didn’t initially make blades, so you had to buy one, send it to them to add the connector, and then have it shipped back. 

C5BF65B2-2B1A-435D-9ABB-F70C4AAEBDCC.jpeg

• Like 1