Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
burrheadjr

What is the oddest hockey equipment ever?

4 hours ago, Monty22 said:

I think those were the CCM chassis. The Vforms (at least the ones the shop I worked at) were some of the heaviest skates I ever encountered. 

You’re right! In my mind the Vform thing was a CCM concept, but it wasn’t. 

Wasn’t there an extension for the top of sticks that was angled for “better handling” at one point?

Also think there was one where the handle flexed at the top of the stick.  It may have been curved.

Edited by shooter27

Easton EQ50 weights or whatever to adjust the balance.

Ultrasonic taper, considering they nixed the Supreme line.

Also a 1 and done was the detachable wrist guards on the Sherwood Code V elbow pads. Most useless, instrusive thing ever. As a concept, it made sense.

Lastly,

reebok-jpg-2012_RBK_KFSShield_Combo.jpg?

Edited by nutters

Strangest gloves by each recent company…

Bauer: one90, appreciate the attempt to push the envelope but it tried too hard to look different as well.

CCM/Reebok: 30K, maybe the ugliest glove of all-time.

Easton: Mako, ideas were decent, just horrendous appearanch.

Mission: Fuel 90.

Warrior: pretty much anything since the QRL.

True: Anything Z-Palm

19 hours ago, start_today said:

I feel like the number of people who both post on this forum and get the oblique death metal references have to pretty small. 

But a decent % considering how many posters are in this thread.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shooter27 said:

Wasn’t there an extension for the top of sticks that was angled for “better handling” at one point?

Also think there was one where the handle flexed at the top of the stick.  It may have been curved.

It was the same company.  Well, the same company made the buttend that flexed, and made one that was angled. 

Those seemed like a neat idea. I think they presaged the modern era of whippier sticks, and sticks like the G3 that had multiple flex areas, especially up higher. 

It was just such a commitment. You had to cut an extra 4-5 inches off of your stick. Plus, the retail versions had, to me, a huge knob that I didn’t like.   

The owner used to post on here and was making custom ones for people. I have a retail one somewhere in my basement, if anyone wants it. 

12 hours ago, shooter27 said:

4 minutes ago, start_today said:

It was the same company.  Well, the same company made the buttend that flexed, and made one that was angled. 

Those seemed like a neat idea. I think they presaged the modern era of whippier sticks, and sticks like the G3 that had multiple flex areas, especially up higher. 

It was just such a commitment. You had to cut an extra 4-5 inches off of your stick. Plus, the retail versions had, to me, a huge knob that I didn’t like.   

The owner used to post on here and was making custom ones for people. I have a retail one somewhere in my basement, if anyone wants it. 

You're both referring to Oggie grips. The page hasn't had any new posts since 2014, but there are still pictures: https://www.facebook.com/oggiegrips/

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shooter27 said:

Someone already mentioned Oggie grips but STX Surgeon had a different shaft shape at the top only for a similar effect.

I guess you could consider any “odd” shaft shape in the answers to this question: Easton Ellipse, CCM Octogun, CCM Ribcor taper, CCM Jetspeed asymmetrical, RBK O-stick, Bauer ER Spine, Bauer Sonic Taper, Trilage triangle hockey shaft.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flip12 said:

Strangest gloves by each recent company…

Bauer: one90, appreciate the attempt to push the envelope but it tried too hard to look different as well.

CCM/Reebok: 30K, maybe the ugliest glove of all-time.

Easton: Mako, ideas were decent, just horrendous appearanch.

Mission: Fuel 90.

Warrior: pretty much anything since the QRL.

True: Anything Z-Palm

Pure Hockey had an SMU that was the 30K glove, without all the plastic that made the glove as ugly as it was and a pro palm. Still to this day my favorite gloves I've owned.

image.png.badb23ed8eef4f71def8aaaa7559c66d.png

Edited by EBondo

2 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Someone already mentioned Oggie grips but STX Surgeon had a different shaft shape at the top only for a similar effect.

I guess you could consider any “odd” shaft shape in the answers to this question: Easton Ellipse, CCM Octogun, CCM Ribcor taper, CCM Jetspeed asymmetrical, RBK O-stick, Bauer ER Spine, Bauer Sonic Taper, Trilage triangle hockey shaft.

The STX shaft was like a lacrosse shaft on the bottom of the shaft for the whole length... in theory it sounded neat but just felt wrong haha.  Didn't catch on at all and the few pros that used that model of stick had traditional shafts not the funky ones.

Thinking of shaft shapes, Titan had a stick in the 90's (one of the ASD models, black with red writing) that was convex on the palm side and concave on the finger tips side, it was much more conservative and actually felt really great to play with, those were some awesome sticks.

• Like 1

I couldn’t find it again but fairly recently (last 2 years I think) there was a post maybe on Craigslist selling the entire Oggie Grips company. All of their materials, machines, warehouse, etc. with the original guy including training and consulting on doing everything.

On 12/31/2022 at 2:16 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

Thinking of shaft shapes, Titan had a stick in the 90's (one of the ASD models, black with red writing) that was convex on the palm side and concave on the finger tips side, it was much more conservative and actually felt really great to play with, those were some awesome sticks.

I had one of these in a Forsberg pattern - great stick.  

On 12/31/2022 at 4:16 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

The STX shaft was like a lacrosse shaft on the bottom of the shaft for the whole length... in theory it sounded neat but just felt wrong haha.  Didn't catch on at all and the few pros that used that model of stick had traditional shafts not the funky ones.

Nike had some sticks like that. I think Innovative made them...they may have had their own version too.

The last few generations of Ribcor sticks do something similar.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:50 AM, stick9 said:

Nike had some sticks like that. I think Innovative made them...they may have had their own version too.

The last few generations of Ribcor sticks do something similar.

Innovative made a bunch of sticks for other companies. Trilage shafts come to mind.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, start_today said:

Those battery powered heated skate blades that were super heavy and had dubious science behind them. 

Roller hockey, but those Mission skates that didn’t have traditional grommets and had hiking boot style quick tightening nylon pull throughs (there’s gotta be a name those that I’m blanking on). It was like Mission had a cool idea and did no longer term stress testing and everyone’s “eyelets” ripped out in three months. 

The Mission 'DNA lacing" was definitely a case of "looks cool, doesn't work." And, these came shortly after the wicked lite skate, which was arguably the greatest inline skate the world had seen up until 2005 or so. 

Look at this abomination. 

6-2564.jpg

Howdy,

On 1/1/2023 at 12:52 PM, Monty22 said:

Almost forgot- the Rawlings Jam integrated Shoulder pad/Elbow pad monstrosity https://www.ebay.com/itm/264798847042

Huh.  My wife was having tons of issues with her elbow pads sliding down.  I basically made that there, just using skate lace and some punched holes to tie the elbows to her shoulder pads.  🙂

Mark

Thanks for the ideas everyone, a few of them I already had on my radar, but some of them were brand new to me.  Tried to cram as many as I could in there.  Anyways, here is the list:

Edited by burrheadjr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, burrheadjr said:

Thanks for the ideas everyone, a few of them I already had on my radar, but some of them were brand new to me.  Tried to cram as many as I could in there.  Anyways, here is the list:

Awesome video man.  

Some possible suggestions for Part 2:

Faceplate sticks:  CCM RBZ Revolution and CCM RBZ FT1 sticks

Flare and XCblade skate runners.

Edited by CaptainCharisma

Not bad!  I enjoyed it, esp the part about the face protection... never would've imagined someone using a football cage or lacrosse helmet 😂  My one gripe... how can you talk about T-Blades and not mention how they sound?! Also not have a clip of how they sound... that's a big miss 🤣

Can anyone else think of a sport that does more awful and ridiculous "innovations" than hockey?

I'd have to add the Nike Ignite hockey gloves without finger breaks.