Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
burrheadjr

What is the oddest hockey equipment ever?

On 1/2/2023 at 3:16 PM, puckpilot said:

Liquid Hockey tape. I found this to be actually useful, but could be messy to apply, with hard to find instructions on how to use it. 

3m-high-performance-liquid-hockey-tape-f

I actually liked this and wish it would come back. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 5:39 PM, shooter27 said:

Wasn’t there an extension for the top of sticks that was angled for “better handling” at one point?

Also think there was one where the handle flexed at the top of the stick.  It may have been curved.

There was a few. One that is still around is the Torch Hockey grip : http://www.proxrtorch.com/

torch-hockey-knob-stick-knob-junior-gree

6 hours ago, x-axis said:

Can anyone else think of a sport that does more awful and ridiculous "innovations" than hockey?

I'd have to add the Nike Ignite hockey gloves without finger breaks. 

Cycling has lots of weird shit coming out every year and innovating back and forth in cycles to make people buy new bikes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, x-axis said:

Can anyone else think of a sport that does more awful and ridiculous "innovations" than hockey?

I remember those, I think I even used them.  I don't remember too much of an issue because they were flexable enough, maybe the thought is without the breaks, there are less weak spots.  I use Winnwell gloves now though, and love them.

10 hours ago, x-axis said:

The only gloves I can think of that had segmented fingers in 1999 are Mission Warp and Bauer Supreme. Ignite was just like 96% of the gloves on the market at the time.

Sherwood and Itech had semi-segmented fingers, but not quite the same idea as we’re used to in today’s gloves.

The first Easton guys to have segmented fingers (Kovalev, Zhitnik, and Morozov) didn’t have that mod until 2000 from what I can tell.

I’ve always thought Ignite were the best looking of Nike’s gloves. Their segmentation pattern was elegant and efficient. I’d happily snag a pair if the price were right. A lot of Nike stuff is just stupidly expensive.

5 hours ago, flip12 said:

The only gloves I can think of that had segmented fingers in 1999 are Mission Warp and Bauer Supreme. Ignite was just like 96% of the gloves on the market at the time.

Sherwood and Itech had semi-segmented fingers, but not quite the same idea as we’re used to in today’s gloves.

The first Easton guys to have segmented fingers (Kovalev, Zhitnik, and Morozov) didn’t have that mod until 2000 from what I can tell.

I’ve always thought Ignite were the best looking of Nike’s gloves. Their segmentation pattern was elegant and efficient. I’d happily snag a pair if the price were right. A lot of Nike stuff is just stupidly expensive.

Interesting. I was too young to remember. I could have sworn my Eastons did. I've just gotten interested in Nike hockey gear the last 6 years. Purchasing those Ignites made me utterly confused.

3 hours ago, x-axis said:

Interesting. I was too young to remember. I could have sworn my Eastons did. I've just gotten interested in Nike hockey gear the last 6 years. Purchasing those Ignites made me utterly confused.

Which Eastons did you have? I’m fairly certain segmented fingers were universal at retail by 2001. Nike had them on their next generation Quest gloves.

35 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Which Eastons did you have? I’m fairly certain segmented fingers were universal at retail by 2001. Nike had them on their next generation Quest gloves.

I don't remember the model #. I was a kid. They had laces on the sides and were black and white with a wave pattern. GX something. Couldn't find them in a google search. I had those and flash tracks rollerblades from Toys R Us. Amazing times.

5 hours ago, x-axis said:

I don't remember the model #. I was a kid. They had laces on the sides and were black and white with a wave pattern. GX something. Couldn't find them in a google search. I had those and flash tracks rollerblades from Toys R Us. Amazing times.

Like Juneau's gloves, just with laces instead of the velcro adjusted cuff?

cropped_GettyImages-98728842.jpg?ts=1495

The GX 26 looked like this, just with a lace cuff and fixed cuff roll.

Flip is correct on the fingers. I remember when Eagles first came out and took the glove market by storm. Both the X70 and CP94 seemed absolutely life changing at the time and launched with one piece fingers. Wasn’t until a few years in that they could be ordered with split fingers. TPS was in the same boat until the HGT I believe with the HG1 as the prior. 

Those were the days! 

Edited by Cavs019

On 8/22/2023 at 7:06 PM, All Flash said:

Tried this last year..... liked it even.

Hespeller had an offset blade. It didn’t have as many curves and joints, it just jotted “back” and inch so the puck and blade were behind the shaft. 

It was like 20 years ahead of its time, considering modern shooting techniques that are all about getting your hands in front of the puck.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8cgq-ADWPZ41HZAEnsJ0

43 minutes ago, start_today said:

Hespeller had an offset blade. It didn’t have as many curves and joints, it just jotted “back” and inch so the puck and blade were behind the shaft. 

It was like 20 years ahead of its time, considering modern shooting techniques that are all about getting your hands in front of the puck.

The marketing of shooting that way is fairly recent. Shooting that way is not.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:53 PM, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

Oakley Mace gloves were a weird one.  Just because the Brand and the aesthetic design.

I was always curious what Oakley’s strategy with those gloves was.  They had visors, but they didn’t do hardgoods in any other sport so it just seemed odd to target hockey.  There were a fair number of NHL guys that wore them (I’m guessing paid).  Maybe someone on here who was in the business at that time knows. 

12 hours ago, shooter27 said:

I was always curious what Oakley’s strategy with those gloves was.  They had visors, but they didn’t do hardgoods in any other sport so it just seemed odd to target hockey.  There were a fair number of NHL guys that wore them (I’m guessing paid).  Maybe someone on here who was in the business at that time knows. 

They (gloves) were Canadian made, not sure by whom. My guess is they wanted their name visible on gear, so between gloves, helmets, pants and sticks, it was the most financially reasonable piece. 

That makes sense.  Though I would’ve thought that, given their visor product, helmets would’ve been the logical extension if they wanted to have their name visible on something.  Especially since back then helmets were cheaper than gloves (that fact blows my mind given what we know about head injuries today).  Just always seemed odd to me to go to gloves from visors.  

Edited by shooter27