Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
akravetz

Intermediate vs. senior

I think I know the answer as I think seniors are built with more materials but I'm at that size (yes, I'm short) where I can use both intermediate and senior gear. I use 13' shins, I can wear a medium shoulder pads, my stick length is shorter than some of the kids I coach. Looking to save money but am I risking getting hurt. I'm 52 but 5'4 and 140. I coach three times a week and play in a beer league. Just wondering if Intermediate is a viable option. IN some cases, it's a big savings. Others, not so much. You guys have always helped in the past so I figured, why not ask. 

Andy in Peoria. 

2 hours ago, akravetz said:

I think I know the answer as I think seniors are built with more materials but I'm at that size (yes, I'm short) where I can use both intermediate and senior gear. I use 13' shins, I can wear a medium shoulder pads, my stick length is shorter than some of the kids I coach. Looking to save money but am I risking getting hurt. I'm 52 but 5'4 and 140. I coach three times a week and play in a beer league. Just wondering if Intermediate is a viable option. IN some cases, it's a big savings. Others, not so much. You guys have always helped in the past so I figured, why not ask. 

Andy in Peoria. 

I was told that most INT was made the same as SR gear because it was a popular option for elite adult female players and smaller adult males. I don't know if that still applies.

I'd go with what fits he best regardless whats on the label.

I'm roughly your size. 5'5 160lbs and almost the same vintage, just shy of 50. I've been a tweener most of my life. Sometimes I'm in juniors and sometimes I'm in senior. It just depends on the build and fit. For the protective, I could be wrong, I don't think there's a distinction between Int and senior. It's either a junior size or senior. For skates, I've used juniors forever and never had issues. There wasn't an Int designation for skates until recently, and IMHO, it was just an excuse for them to charge more because they knew smaller adults were getting a good deal.

If you're paying attention, with sticks, we seem to be in the process of shifting what's considered junior, int and senior. I don't know senior sticks, so correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems that Int and senior sticks have the same shaft and blade dimensions. And they're making senior sticks with lower flexes like 65 and 70. And with junior sticks, a few years ago, Bauer started making their 50 flex junior sticks with intermediate shaft and blade dimensions. The other companies haven't follow suit yet. Though, CCM junior sticks have always been slightly bigger other junior sticks in terms of shaft and blade. The new Warrior Novum stick, their 50 flex stick has a intermediate blade on a junior shaft. 

17 hours ago, akravetz said:

Andy in Peoria. 

There is almost no difference between intermediate and senior equipment in regard to protection.