Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sweetblazer

Verbero/Prostocksticks questions

Hey all,

Been a long time since posting in the forum, was very active 10-15 years ago. I've searched and come up with nothing so I thought I'd turn to you guys to see if there is any insight on these sticks. I was pretty obsessed with sticks from 13-18, literally took a job at the LHS to get the discount and put all my money towards them. Anyway, I've come to get older and just buy the couple year old top of the line sticks now but recently had a great experience with a trigger pro stick that blew me away for the first time since using a Vapor XX way back when. Now that I'v broken it my interest is peaked in these super light sticks which brings me here. I can't justify spending $400 on a stick anymore and frankly I'd rather support these smaller companies living my teenage dream making sticks. 

So how are these sticks? Has anyone actually used the verbero 350g mercury? or the Prostocksticks red line? I purchased the 400g version hockeystickman sells and was semi disappointed. Amazing compared to sticks of 10 years ago for 150$ but not even in the same league as the Trigger Pro.

TLDR Thanks so much for any insight

19 minutes ago, sweetblazer said:

Hey all,

Been a long time since posting in the forum, was very active 10-15 years ago. I've searched and come up with nothing so I thought I'd turn to you guys to see if there is any insight on these sticks. I was pretty obsessed with sticks from 13-18, literally took a job at the LHS to get the discount and put all my money towards them. Anyway, I've come to get older and just buy the couple year old top of the line sticks now but recently had a great experience with a trigger pro stick that blew me away for the first time since using a Vapor XX way back when. Now that I'v broken it my interest is peaked in these super light sticks which brings me here. I can't justify spending $400 on a stick anymore and frankly I'd rather support these smaller companies living my teenage dream making sticks. 

So how are these sticks? Has anyone actually used the verbero 350g mercury? or the Prostocksticks red line? I purchased the 400g version hockeystickman sells and was semi disappointed. Amazing compared to sticks of 10 years ago for 150$ but not even in the same league as the Trigger Pro.

TLDR Thanks so much for any insight

Most of these "small company" sticks are light but lack good puck feel and whip out quickly. YMMV.

• Like 1

I have a mercury v350 that I got when they were running half off. At that price I think it’s worth it, probably up to about 200, but I don’t think it’s worth 250, and frankly their marketing/social media is to me rather off putting in terms of sticking with them in the future. Shoots nice enough, haven’t seen any issues with durability yet. In my opinion it plays whippier than it’s flex rating suggests, and the puck feel is ok, nothing super special. 

• Like 1

For that $150 price point I'd just get a pro stock stick from prostockhockey or one of the bigger sellers on SLS (Farrel, Reference, Valhalla, etc), I know it's not supporting a small company but you'll be getting a $300+ stick for a more reasonable price (and the performance is hard to go back from once you're hooked lol).  Depending what model Trigger you had you can still probably find it, might be painted as something else but most of the generations are still being used in one form or another (still a few guys using the old old old Reckoner era model such as Crosby and Mackinon, Duchene used to until last year and Panarin until just this season).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

For that $150 price point I'd just get a pro stock stick from prostockhockey or one of the bigger sellers on SLS (Farrel, Reference, Valhalla, etc), I know it's not supporting a small company but you'll be getting a $300+ stick for a more reasonable price (and the performance is hard to go back from once you're hooked lol).  Depending what model Trigger you had you can still probably find it, might be painted as something else but most of the generations are still being used in one form or another (still a few guys using the old old old Reckoner era model such as Crosby and Mackinon, Duchene used to until last year and Panarin until just this season).

Ill agree with this, for the most part.  You can get big name pro stock sticks for 150-175.  The cool thing about the red line from ProStockHockey is that you can try actual curves from these big name players.  Not retail versions of the curve, but ACTUAL copies of their game used curves.  And you can get them all in right AND left hand versions, in a quality stick.

Oh yeah I’ve had a few sticks from pro stock hockey sticks, I love all the customization options, in particular the round shaft available. Wish they had the old Easton Heatley available. I’ve yet to get one in my normal curve (p88 currently) so I can’t do a really good comparison of my in game skills with the odd curves 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RodneyPierce said:

Ill agree with this, for the most part.  You can get big name pro stock sticks for 150-175.  The cool thing about the red line from ProStockHockey is that you can try actual curves from these big name players.  Not retail versions of the curve, but ACTUAL copies of their game used curves.  And you can get them all in right AND left hand versions, in a quality stick.

Whos to say what works for McKinnon will work for you... What works for you may not work for me... There is more to it than just curve of the blade.

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

Whos to say what works for McKinnon will work for you... What works for you may not work for me... There is more to it than just curve of the blade.

Ummm.  I'm well aware.  You do realize that it's fun, right?  Give it a shot some time.

24 minutes ago, RodneyPierce said:

Ummm.  I'm well aware.  You do realize that it's fun, right?  Give it a shot some time.

LOL, you have no idea. I've bought and sold more sticks than some shops I've been to. 

What I've learned is it's way more important to find something that suites ones own skills. I don't think a stick will make you a better player. I do however believe the wrong stick (pattern, lie, flex) can negatively impact your game. Funky pro player patterns are fun to fool around with but they hardly ever work and in the off chance they do, now you are stuck combing the earth for John Smiths sticks. And, no matter how many you have, you always feel compelled to buy more.

• Like 2

This is timely because I just kind of "found" prostockhockey last week and I have been considering buying a stick from them because they make my curve and I cannot find it anyplace.  @Stewie, did you use it for ice or roller?  How's the performance compare to the big boys?

11 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

This is timely because I just kind of "found" prostockhockey last week and I have been considering buying a stick from them because they make my curve and I cannot find it anyplace.  @Stewie, did you use it for ice or roller?  How's the performance compare to the big boys?

So I’ve used them for both (have three). My problem with forming a great opinion overall is that each of the three sticks was trying a very new to me curve, but as far as the flex and how the puck kicked, puck feel, they seemed to work out well, and no issues with durability in my usage. I do plan to get a p88 one to check out and do a more direct comparison. I really like their rounded shaft option, just wish they had the curve I really want to try that isn’t available anymore 

• Like 1

I've used both Verbero and Prostockhockeysticks. 

I picked up a couple of the Verbero Cypresses some time ago when they were on a big sale, and they were not good.  Like All Black sticks and a number of smaller brands out there, the savings become negligible because they play like what I would imagine a budget stick should play like.  Which is to say, if your point of comparison is a cheap stick from the major brands, the Cypress might be ok (or even might better) than the major brand option. But, if you're looking for something that will perform more like a higher-end stick, the Cypress won't. They felt heavy to me (a balance issue, I believe), and the puck feel wasn't good.  

Like a bunch of folks on here, I liked prostockhockeysticks a lot better. As @Stewienotes, it can be tough to do apples to apples comparisons with these because part of the draw is getting unusual curves/specs. So, if you're anything like me, you might wind up with sticks where you don't have a good retail comparison on hand. That said, I've gotten four and been happy with all of them. They're light, puck feel is good, and the curve/customization options are great. (The rounded shaft option really is excellent.) I haven't played with a high-end retail stick for a long time, so I can't offer a comparison there. But, they compare well to pro stocks that I've used. I will note that I've found the flex ratings a bit inconsistent, but that's not unique to PSHS.

Overall, I'd recommend PSHS over big name retail because of cost.  I like them as an alternative to buying pro stock off of SLS because it's easier and reliable. Geppetto (the guy who runs the brand/site) seems very nice, and I like what he's doing. But, if you can find what you want on prostockhockey or on SLS (from a seller that you trust), those might be cheaper/better alternatives. 

On 1/21/2023 at 2:05 PM, bl4 said:

I've used both Verbero and Prostockhockeysticks. 

I picked up a couple of the Verbero Cypresses some time ago when they were on a big sale, and they were not good.  Like All Black sticks and a number of smaller brands out there, the savings become negligible because they play like what I would imagine a budget stick should play like.  Which is to say, if your point of comparison is a cheap stick from the major brands, the Cypress might be ok (or even might better) than the major brand option. But, if you're looking for something that will perform more like a higher-end stick, the Cypress won't. They felt heavy to me (a balance issue, I believe), and the puck feel wasn't good.  

While I HATE to defend Verbero, especially with what they have been doing on socials recently... Cypress was the OLD Verbero and totally different company and sticks compared to the ones they are selling now. So you can't really compare the 2 unfortunately.

• Like 1

Yeah, the cypress line was hot garbage, I wouldn’t let that deter you from their newest sticks, although I wouldn’t also just go out and buy one just because. If you feel inclined to try them out, they do some sales at a decent pace, they are a decent buy when on sale IMO.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

While I HATE to defend Verbero, especially with what they have been doing on socials recently... Cypress was the OLD Verbero and totally different company and sticks compared to the ones they are selling now. So you can't really compare the 2 unfortunately.

Apologies - I didn't realize they had made a big change. So, OP, please disregard my Verbero take, but my PSHS rec still stands. 

@Stewie & @Hills: I'm not a big social media guy. What have they been up to?

1 hour ago, bl4 said:

Apologies - I didn't realize they had made a big change. So, OP, please disregard my Verbero take, but my PSHS rec still stands. 

@Stewie & @Hills: I'm not a big social media guy. What have they been up to?

They took screenshots of a different social media account's weight of the Bauer Ag5nt. But the other account was weighing sticks that were taped up, then they showed how that stick was heavier than their stick was... but their stick wasn't taped.

So they were being super misleading and then didn't like when I called them out on it.

• Like 1

Yeah, they just seem very obsessed with particularly targeting the agent, that video in particular was slightly cringe. It’s super weird too because the same guy does videos for Yew wax, and in one video he will be blasting Bauer for their sticks costing a premium price more than verbero, then in his video for Yew he will go on about how their bar size is small and  the price is higher than the competitors is ok because of their technology and quality of components. 

• Like 2

I took a chance on Prostockhockeysticks in summer 2021 and haven't looked back.

Two key reasons:

1. Seems like stick prices keep going up every year at retail
  2. No more Bauer P14 or similar at retail

Coming from custom CCM Trigger 2s, I was super happy with how the first stick played. I'd even go as far as saying it had a little more pop in the shots than the Trigger so I went ahead and ordered 5, and recently went in on another order of 10 since it gets cheaper the more you buy. Value-wise, if I order 5, I can get two for the price of one top end retail. You also don't need to order 5 of the same, which is nice.

If anyone's curious this is my config:

• RH P14, 70 Flex
  • Red Line 375G (also ordered a 350g which I haven't tried yet)
  • Rounded Square Low Kick
  • Grip with Basketball texture
  • Z-tac blade finish

For what it's worth, the last high end retails I used were the 1X Lite, 2S, Trigger 2, and Jetspeed and it plays better than all of them IMO.

Edited by jbyun04
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, jbyun04 said:

I took a chance on Prostockhockeysticks in summer 2021 and haven't looked back.

Two key reasons:

1. Seems like stick prices keep going up every year at retail
  2. No more Bauer P14 or similar at retail

Coming from custom CCM Trigger 2s, I was super happy with how the first stick played. I'd even go as far as saying it had a little more pop in the shots than the Trigger so I went ahead and ordered 5, and recently went in on another order of 10 since it gets cheaper the more you buy. Value-wise, if I order 5, I can get two for the price of one top end retail. You also don't need to order 5 of the same, which is nice.

If anyone's curious this is my config:

• RH P14, 70 Flex
  • Red Line 375G (also ordered a 350g which I haven't tried yet)
  • Rounded Square Low Kick
  • Grip with Basketball texture
  • Z-tac blade finish

For what it's worth, the last high end retails I used were the 1X Lite, 2S, Trigger 2, and Jetspeed and it plays better than all of them IMO.

There we go!

Two of my favorite sticks right now are the Sherwood Rekker Element One and the TMP Pro.  While I do feel both of those have a bit quicker release, I'll say the feel of the PSHS Redline is neck and neck.

Does anyone have experience with PROs Third Line options? They are $109, 425g. I’ve used the Red Lines and really like them. I keep it pretty basic and use the McDavid curve (basically a lie 4 P92 with a smaller blade profile and a square-ish toe). Curious how the third line feels and how the flex feels and holds up. I’ve bought some lower level sticks with a lower flex and they feel like noodles compared to the higher end models.

On 2/2/2023 at 6:12 AM, JCon said:

Does anyone have experience with PROs Third Line options? They are $109, 425g. I’ve used the Red Lines and really like them. I keep it pretty basic and use the McDavid curve (basically a lie 4 P92 with a smaller blade profile and a square-ish toe). Curious how the third line feels and how the flex feels and holds up. I’ve bought some lower level sticks with a lower flex and they feel like noodles compared to the higher end models.

I haven’t used the Red lines, but I like the third line sticks, I have two. A PRO97 77 flex and a PRO28 85 flex. I have had them since October. The sticks are well balanced and perform as well as any other high end OPS I’ve used. I have a pro stock p28 85 flex CCM super tacks 2.0 and the PRO28 feels and flexes the same.  I grew up playing with heavier sticks and I like that these are a little heavier at around 425g, I have found some newer sticks to feel too light. They have held up well and have been the only sticks I’ve used for coaching and games for the last couple of months. For $109 I probably won’t be looking at another stick unless it’s a good deal.

• Thanks 1

I actually just bought 2 since my last red line is getting pretty beat. They came today and I gotta say they feel really good for the price point. No chance you’re getting too many other sticks that feel like this at $110. I took a few shots in the garage but we will see how it fares at the rink and in some games/pickups.

• Like 1