Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
colins

CCM FT4 Pro Skates - eyelets wrecked first use

2 hours ago, colins said:

To followup - the store is returning them and providing a new pair. So it seems the onus was on the baking process causing the eyelets to shift/pop when tightened in store.

They had limited selection for replacement given that the FT4 Pro is about to be replaced by the FT6. Tried on some AS V Pro and 100K to compare - found the AS V tapered to fit even better than the FT4 Pro Regular in the same size (Coming from an original Jetspeed D in the old sizing system - so no direct comparison) & bonus - the AS V Pro has more reinforcement around the eyelets on the facing, whereas the FT4 Pro has the eyelets stamped right into the composite material.

AS V Pro is a stiffer boot - we'll see how that works out once they get broken in.

ASV Pro is probably too stiff for most average skaters.  I had an issue but it seems that I was able to resolve with a punch.

15 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

I also wear a regular in 100K and FT4, but a tapered in the AS-V as well. It's the new last that the skates are being built on. I like it much better. 

FWIW, in the new FT6 Pro I wear a tapered and 0.5 sizes smaller in the retail model. 

Mentioned it before, but CCM has NOT perfected their version of the 3-Fit system.  I'm definitely a Fit 3 in both Vapor and Supreme (EEE Forefoot).  The Regular Fit ASV Pro was plenty wide and maybe a touch too deep for me.  

On 3/27/2023 at 6:03 PM, mojo122 said:

Mentioned it before, but CCM has NOT perfected their version of the 3-Fit system.  I'm definitely a Fit 3 in both Vapor and Supreme (EEE Forefoot).  The Regular Fit ASV Pro was plenty wide and maybe a touch too deep for me.  

It's getting better, but I think a one-piece boot is not the easiest to work with when it comes to overall 3D fit. There are limitations and that's why they have the option for custom skates. 😉

Interesting that the FT6 Pro skate pics I've seen have added a facing on top of the composite material to support the eyelets. Similar to the AS V Pro.

Certainly suggests that the eyelets directly in the composite wasn't a durable strategy long term.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, colins said:

Interesting that the FT6 Pro skate pics I've seen have added a facing on top of the composite material to support the eyelets. Similar to the AS V Pro.

Certainly suggests that the eyelets directly in the composite wasn't a durable strategy long term.

Correct. 

16 hours ago, colins said:

25 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

Correct. 

That also explains why I have to have rivets tightened/replaced so frequently on my FT4 Pros, guess they need to find a better coating to use in those areas where metal will be anchoring.

40 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

That also explains why I have to have rivets tightened/replaced so frequently on my FT4 Pros, guess they need to find a better coating to use in those areas where metal will be anchoring.

Super beefed up facing - at least three different materials from toe to ankle to support the eyelets/laces.

FT6Pro.png

• Like 1

With all this facing material coming back into CCM skates, I can dream that they might bring back their white trim skates again, even if only as a custom option.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

New trigger release on the xs holders though...

I noticed that too, appears to just be a new knob which is good because the dial system works great.  I've had two different knobs, one with a straight groove across and one with a cross hatch, didn't notice a difference, but maybe that one is more metal than plastic which might be stronger.

On 5/5/2023 at 8:20 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

I noticed that too, appears to just be a new knob which is good because the dial system works great.  I've had two different knobs, one with a straight groove across and one with a cross hatch, didn't notice a difference, but maybe that one is more metal than plastic which might be stronger.

From what I heard it's a spring and it won't be a dial.