Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Steveo55

Skate Help....Please!!

Looking for some help with a new pair of skates....

I've rocked a pair of Bauer 8090's for like the last 20 years (shocking, I literally just did the math)....I managed that by getting a pair, falling in love with them and then immediately buying a new pair to stick in my closet.

Well, the time finally came to get new skates and I happened to snag a pair of Bauer 2x Pro's (made in Canada) that were the right size (8.5D) and I've worn them for a couple months now. I've determined that they aren't very comfortable after over 30 ice times and I don't know if it is coincidence, but I just had my first knee injury (a tweaked mcl) after playing hockey for close to 40 years......now part of me is wondering if the 2X pros are too stiff for my aging joints and my secondary question would be - does anyone have any idea which Bauer line and Fit would be closeest to those beautful old 8090's that fit my foot like a glove?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I may look like a newb here due to this being my "first post"....but I was actually registered on this forum waaaaay back in the day when David Perron used to post on here (maybe he still does?!)

The 8090's in D were more like an E width in most skates. They're definitely both wider and deeper than a D width Vapor. The Bauer length also changed sometime after the 8090 came out - most people needed to go down a half a size. So, if you picked up Vapors in the same size as your old 8090s, you may have bought skates that are too long and too narrow for your feet. They may have felt like the right length because the sides compressed your foot and made them feel shorter than they really are.

I'd start by going to a good shop with a Bauer 3D scanner and get your feet scanned. That will give you a good starting point as it'll recommend a size and Fit for Bauer, but try on various skates around that size in all the brands and models you can. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

......They may have felt like the right length because the sides compressed your foot and made them feel shorter than they really are.

Dang....that would explain why they feel too narrow! 

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to find one of these Bauer scanners you speak of

• Like 1

Well, I went to my LHS and did the Bauer scanner (pretty cool) and the suggestion was for a fit 3.

What's shocking is how much the sizing has changed....I'm actually a 7! WTF!? That is still bending my mind because I wear 9.5 US shoe size....it makes no sense to me, but I tried on different Bauer Supremes and CCM Tacks and the skates were snug, but my toes were juuuust at the toe box without lacing up....perfect.

After trying on the Bauer's and CCM's I actually ended up with a pair of CCM ASV's. It was a tough decision becuase I have worn Bauers for over 30 years, but I had to go with the right fit and not just stick with brand loyalty.

Edited by Steveo55
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Steveo55 said:

What's shocking is how much the sizing has changed....I'm actually a 7! WTF!? That is still bending my mind because I wear 9.5 US shoe size...

After trying on the Bauer's and CCM's I actually ended up with a pair of CCM ASV's. It was a tough decision becuase I have worn Bauers for over 30 years, but I had to go with the right fit and not just stick with brand loyalty.

2.5 sizes is pretty average for skate size down from sneaker size, I'm a 10 and wear 7.5 but could fit a 7 in some models.

As for the brand loyalty... back in the day Bauer was always the standard cut and CCM's ran wider, so I was always a Bauer person, but I think once the Vapor came out they started having more cuts and then today each brand has all these different fit profiles so it's anyone's guess lol, I switched to CCM a few years back and found they work better for me, also I love their XS holder.  Glad you found something you liked and worked best for you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

2.5 sizes is pretty average for skate size down from sneaker size, I'm a 10 and wear 7.5 but could fit a 7 in some models.

Same.  I’m a 10.5-11 shoe and wear an 8 or 8.5 skate depending on the brand/model 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steveo55 said:

Well, I went to my LHS and did the Bauer scanner (pretty cool) and the suggestion was for a fit 3.

What's shocking is how much the sizing has changed....I'm actually a 7! WTF!? That is still bending my mind because I wear 9.5 US shoe size....it makes no sense to me, but I tried on different Bauer Supremes and CCM Tacks and the skates were snug, but my toes were juuuust at the toe box without lacing up....perfect.

The fact that you scan as a 7 doesn't surprise me at all since I wear 10W dress shoes and scan as a 7.5 Fit 3. Sizing can of course vary by brand and model, while I'd be a 7.5 Fit 3 in Bauer, I have 7W in True Tf9s converted for inline and 8EE in Easton Mako II's.

Fit 3 is the deepest and widest Bauer skate and a D Vapor would be the shallowest and narrowest. So, the Vapor 8.5Ds were obviously way too narrow and long for your feet. That would certainly explain the discomfort.

It's good you went with fit over brand. I hope the ASV's treat you well. 

Edited by althoma1

On 1/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, althoma1 said:

It's good you went with fit over brand. I hope the ASV's treat you well. 

Thanks, and I appreciate your input.

Had my first skate on Saturday and the skates felt great......it was just a practice with my son's team so not a real test, but it has me stoked to wear them tomorrow night with my regular group of buddies actually playing at speed.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 9:42 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

As for the brand loyalty... back in the day Bauer was always the standard cut and CCM's ran wider, so I was always a Bauer person, but I think once the Vapor came out they started having more cuts and then today each brand has all these different fit profiles so it's anyone's guess lol, I switched to CCM a few years back and found they work better for me, also I love their XS holder.  Glad you found something you liked and worked best for you.

Thanks. It's pretty wild how many options are out there now.....I certainly don't envy the brick and mortar LHS that has to stock so many different options....I'm sure it ends up being a ton of $ in inventory. It's funny, part of me wishes there wasn't so many options because then you wouldn't worry you've made the wrong decision, but then at the same time, it's good for actually finding something that closely matches what you need.

On 1/28/2023 at 8:52 AM, Steveo55 said:

Pretty normal. I wear a size 9 shoe and fit comfortably in a size 6 skate. I can drop to a 5.5 but it's a little tight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Pretty normal. I wear a size 9 shoe and fit comfortably in a size 6 skate. I can drop to a 5.5 but it's a little tight.

Crazy.....so you do wear an intermediate skate then?

On 1/28/2023 at 8:52 AM, Steveo55 said:

You'll find the ASV's are very, very stiff. I adjusted by leaving my skates pretty loose at the top, which felt weird to do but because the boot is so stiff, it feels fine on the ice.

On 1/28/2023 at 5:52 AM, Steveo55 said:

Glad you got a new pair that fit!

Edited by beedee