Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
TimAG

Lace Eyelet Extenders

Hi All, 

I am trying to get back into my skates as much as possible but I am really struggling with forward flex which I believe is causing me lacebite. 

I am skating APX2 skates that were used for 1 season roughly 55hrs of ice time years ago. They are retail skates which I had originally baked and have had them rebake last week.. 

I am looking for possible solutions before I resort to buying new Skates. 

things I have tried 

-Gel pads to mitigate the lace bite seem to limit forward ever so slightly more..

- different lace patterns still trying different options 

things I’m considering

- eyelet extenders: do any of you make your own? Please share or dm me how you make them and attach to your skate eyelets 

- used to skate a X7.0 which has a formfit2 tongue a lot thinner then the APX2 felt tongues. And have considered swapping them. Is it even possible to replace Bauer tongues I’ve read about it but my buddy that works at PHL told me it’s nearly impossible. If possible anyone know where I could source tongues other then nash sniper tongues as alternative to swapping my x7.0 into apx2.. 

alternative options - 

purchase a used pair of 1X in 7.5EE for 200$ - would have to try and confirm pencil test is good and only other issue is I currently wear 7.5D

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED

i have not done then pencil test since the original purchase. I will do it this afternoon and update this post. 

If your current skates appear to be the correct depth, I would start with trying different lacing-  skip the top eyelet or second to the top. It's free, so try that first. You could probably try a few different variations at one skate.  Do the APX2 skate tongues look compressed across where you tie them /are feeling pressure? If so a tongue swap would be the next easiest thing. There are several threads on here on how to DIY. I've done probably half a dozen or so. You can source new tongues from True, CCM- both will have slimmer tongues with different levels of rigidity to choose from. With the CCM's you could just drill a couple holes in the toe cap to be compatible with the CCM mounting clips. Should take about 5 minutes.  Or you can use an Awl to stitch them in. 

2 hours ago, Monty22 said:

If your current skates appear to be the correct depth, I would start with trying different lacing-  skip the top eyelet or second to the top. It's free, so try that first. You could probably try a few different variations at one skate.  Do the APX2 skate tongues look compressed across where you tie them /are feeling pressure? If so a tongue swap would be the next easiest thing. There are several threads on here on how to DIY. I've done probably half a dozen or so. You can source new tongues from True, CCM- both will have slimmer tongues with different levels of rigidity to choose from. With the CCM's you could just drill a couple holes in the toe cap to be compatible with the CCM mounting clips. Should take about 5 minutes.  Or you can use an Awl to stitch them in. 

I will and am constantly trying different lacing but I find it so hard to not lace the top eyelet.. could just be a matter of getting used to it/ankle strength but I don’t find it ideal. 

the tongue isn’t compressed from what I can see. Best way I can explain is that the tongue is sitting on the ankle rather than hugging the ankle almost like it’s too wide on top of being thick.. 

I will continue to grind and keep trying different lacing, possibly some eyelet extenders and if all fails I think I’ll go to true tongues as they seem a lot thinner and are available locally without modifying the toe.  

Really appreciate your input

On 2/2/2023 at 10:20 AM, TimAG said:

I will and am constantly trying different lacing but I find it so hard to not lace the top eyelet.. could just be a matter of getting used to it/ankle strength but I don’t find it ideal. 

the tongue isn’t compressed from what I can see. Best way I can explain is that the tongue is sitting on the ankle rather than hugging the ankle almost like it’s too wide on top of being thick.. 

I will continue to grind and keep trying different lacing, possibly some eyelet extenders and if all fails I think I’ll go to true tongues as they seem a lot thinner and are available locally without modifying the toe.  

Really appreciate your input

We have messaged re the eyelet extenders, another option is a Forsberg pad (named after Peter Forsberg). I used these for many years before I made the eyelet extenders. They are cheap to make and can be used in any boot, the downside is you have to tape them to your ankle every time you skate. But they are a quick fix and will get you back on the ice until you try / make other things. Some people have found them a little off putting at first because it can slightly change the feel of your foot in relation to the tongue but after 2 or 3 uses this feeling generally disappears. Message me if you want some photos etc of how to make them, I used 1/2" pipe insulation that is available from just about any hardware store.

3 hours ago, Vet88 said:

We have messaged re the eyelet extenders, another option is a Forsberg pad (named after Peter Forsberg). I used these for many years before I made the eyelet extenders. They are cheap to make and can be used in any boot, the downside is you have to tape them to your ankle every time you skate. But they are a quick fix and will get you back on the ice until you try / make other things. Some people have found them a little off putting at first because it can slightly change the feel of your foot in relation to the tongue but after 2 or 3 uses this feeling generally disappears. Message me if you want some photos etc of how to make them, I used 1/2" pipe insulation that is available from just about any hardware store.

Would you say these work better than the gel pads that attach to your tongues? As the gel pads helped spread the pressure but created a bigger volume issue in the end.. 

6 hours ago, TimAG said:

Would you say these work better than the gel pads that attach to your tongues? As the gel pads helped spread the pressure but created a bigger volume issue in the end.. 

If the gel pads were thick enough and had a slot or channel in them for the tendon, when tensed, to sit fully in then they would be similar except over time they would compress less. If they had no slot or channel for the tendon to sit in then they are next to useless, this type of pad just keeps the pressure on an already stressed tendon.

The 1/2" pipe insulation would continue to compress as I used it, I would replace the pad every month or so.

Here's another option you can try. Years ago I did this for lace bite. It's a similar idea to Vet88's but it's applied to the inside of the tongue instead of to your ankle. I used closed-cell foam tape weather stripping that comes in a variety of thicknesses and widths, sold at hardware stores. I applied it to the tongue leaving a channel for the tendon.

bite.jpg

• Like 1