Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hello. I tried finding this scenario online but wasn’t able to. This happened in a rec/D league game. A teammate, John, was called for a minor penalty. The guy who it happened to, Dave, was mad and started pushing John. John pushed back then it ended eventually by the refs stepping in. John was given a double minor and Dave received a minor. My question is, does John’s team have to put a player from the bench into the box as well to serve the first 2 minutes of the double minor? Or does John just go to the box, they put 4 minutes on the clock and if a goal is scored in the first 2 minutes of it John remains in the box and they then switch the penalty time to 2 minutes. I am trying to understand if John and 1 additional skater have to go to the box or just John? Thank you. 

Howdy,

13 hours ago, ajdesign99 said:

Hello. I tried finding this scenario online but wasn’t able to. This happened in a rec/D league game. A teammate, John, was called for a minor penalty. The guy who it happened to, Dave, was mad and started pushing John. John pushed back then it ended eventually by the refs stepping in. John was given a double minor and Dave received a minor. My question is, does John’s team have to put a player from the bench into the box as well to serve the first 2 minutes of the double minor? Or does John just go to the box, they put 4 minutes on the clock and if a goal is scored in the first 2 minutes of it John remains in the box and they then switch the penalty time to 2 minutes. I am trying to understand if John and 1 additional skater have to go to the box or just John? Thank you. 

Took a while to find the rule reference...

Its the first one.  John and a buddy go to the box.  John's buddy comes out after 2 minutes (or if a PP goal is scored).  Dave come out after 2 minutes and a whistle.  John comes out after 4 minutes and a whistle (assuming a goal isn't scored by Dave's team).

See Situations 15,17, 20 in the casebook here:

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084491-minor-penalties

Not sure what rulebook you're under, of course.  But this should be consistent across all of them I believe.

Mark

Edited by marka