Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
x-axis

Backstop Net Ideas

Was hoping you guys had some price-conscious backstop ideas, diy or otherwise. I want a net about 15 feet in height behind my goal. Ideally it would double as a golf net as well.

It would be in my backyard near a neighbor's fence. Thanks for any advice.

7 hours ago, x-axis said:

Was hoping you guys had some price-conscious backstop ideas, diy or otherwise. I want a net about 15 feet in height behind my goal. Ideally it would double as a golf net as well.

It would be in my backyard near a neighbor's fence. Thanks for any advice.

Get a pop-up portable net designed for lacrosse, golf, or baseball. I have seen them about 10' x 7' and larger:

Example: https://www.amazon.com/GoSports-Practice-Hitting-Personal-Designed/dp/B079JDQKV4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1ZQU5BSIEMX67&keywords=golf+net&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=golf+net%2Csporting%2C118&sr=1-4

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Get a pop-up portable net designed for lacrosse, golf, or baseball. I have seen them about 10' x 7' and larger:

Example: https://www.amazon.com/GoSports-Practice-Hitting-Personal-Designed/dp/B079JDQKV4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1ZQU5BSIEMX67&keywords=golf+net&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=golf+net%2Csporting%2C118&sr=1-4

I guess I assumed that a golf net couldn't handle hockey pucks. Should I double it up?

3 hours ago, RodneyPierce said:

I guess I'll try foam wrapped pvc with a t style connection at the bottom. 

10 minutes ago, x-axis said:

I guess I assumed that a golf net couldn't handle hockey pucks. Should I double it up?

I guess I'll try foam wrapped pvc with a t style connection at the bottom. 

I would say the nets made for baseball/golf should be fine.  They take baseball's and golf balls at speeds similar to what we are shooting picks at.  Maybe even a bit higher.

Edited by RodneyPierce

From a physics stand point, you are completely wrong in terms of a golf ball.

A golf ball is putting out approx 256N of force (160 Km/h X 1.6 oz) where as a hockey puck is putting out approx 600N of force (100 km/h X 6 oz)

Baseball is definitely more in line with a hockey puck shot. Your average baseball player is probably hitting at around 100 to 120 km/h, X 5.25 oz of a baseball equating to more or less the same amount of force as a hockey puck shot.

For the cheaper option, I have used heavy duty 1/2" mesh outdoor garden netting and doubled / tripled it over. It stopped pucks fine. Back in the day when I was playing a lot of golf I used to drive 1000 balls a day into it.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, raganblink said:

From a physics stand point, you are completely wrong in terms of a golf ball.

A golf ball is putting out approx 256N of force (160 Km/h X 1.6 oz) where as a hockey puck is putting out approx 600N of force (100 km/h X 6 oz)

Baseball is definitely more in line with a hockey puck shot. Your average baseball player is probably hitting at around 100 to 120 km/h, X 5.25 oz of a baseball equating to more or less the same amount of force as a hockey puck shot.

Thanks for the physics lesson. 

Now back to what I originally said about the combo golf/baseball netting, it should work fine 😉.

"/" typically doesn't indicate a combination of the two words, rather an "or" meaning, hence my confusion. That's your English lesson for the day 😜

For sure if it is a combination device - since it takes baseballs - would work just fine. Would hate to give someone the thought they can use a golf net and be a-okay when most likely, they won't be.

Edited by raganblink

3 hours ago, raganblink said:

"/" typically doesn't indicate a combination of the two words, rather an "or" meaning, hence my confusion. That's your English lesson for the day 😜

For sure if it is a combination device - since it takes baseballs - would work just fine. Would hate to give someone the thought they can use a golf net and be a-okay when most likely, they won't be.

Ok.  Sure thing bud.

• Like 1