Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
krisdrum

Ribcor skates - discontinued?

Hey boys, been awhile.  Just got back from Quebec with my son, who is growing like a weed and needs new skates.  Currently in 80k Ribcors in a 4.5.  They measured him up and he now needs a 6.  Ouch!!!  Amazed he didn't say anything sooner.  

He really likes the way the Ribcors fit and perform.  This is now his second pair.  

They had very little in the way of stock in Ribcors and one of the sales guys mentioned they were discontinuing.  Anyone else hearing that rumor?  Or did CCM just not make a lot of them this year and waiting on the new year to ramp up production?  

Since he is in older Ribcors, have been reading up on the new CCM fit system as well.  They had a Bauer scanner and he came out as a fit 1.  Looks like I should be looking for Tapered CCMs for him?  He has a pretty narrow foot, but a wider than average heel.  Or see if I can get him to try both Tapered and Regular?  Sounds like the fit and feel does change depending on which line we end up in.  He relies a lot on his agility and edgework, so I'm assuming a softer boot would be better for him. 

Ribcor is officially dying this upcoming season, yes. 

The closet in-line skate to that 80K is probably the 90K. the 100K is a full composite boot, where as the 80K was not. The 90K is going to be closer in stiffness to what he had.

Based on what you're saying tapered in the new fit system is probably correct but without trying a skate on it is hard to say.

The simple answer is Yes, CCM is discontinuing the Ribcor line of skates. The more complicated answer is that CCM is integrating some of the Ribcor specs into the Jetspeed line, but I have to defer to others on exactly how that's being done.

Thanks.  He tried on some True Catalyst 9 and liked the way they felt, without baking.  Being a TF9 user myself (and I love them), would be great to get him in those, but he doesn't like change, so wanted to make sure he tried the CCM stuff on before committing.  Given the stores limited selection of Ribcor, he wanted to wait.  

1 hour ago, birky said:

The simple answer is Yes, CCM is discontinuing the Ribcor line of skates. The more complicated answer is that CCM is integrating some of the Ribcor specs into the Jetspeed line, but I have to defer to others on exactly how that's being done.

They'll be offering the Ribcor boot in customs, as "TBC Flex Construction", per their 2023 catalogue. 

Not sure what "TBC" means. Any guesses? 

7 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

They'll be offering the Ribcor boot in customs, as "TBC Flex Construction", per their 2023 catalogue. 

Not sure what "TBC" means. Any guesses? 

TBC - To Be Confirmed

Will ribcor be discontinued. YES.

What was recommended by some online hockey influencer guy (and have no idea if this makes sense or not) is to take one of the other skates and get a model lower so it should be less stiff. Combining that with the multi fit profiles should get you close to what you had before (so he said).

That being said, I use AS3 Pros and look for the stiffest skate on the market that I can afford, so my first hand information is nil.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:28 AM, jazzykat said:

What was recommended by some online hockey influencer guy (and have no idea if this makes sense or not) is to take one of the other skates and get a model lower so it should be less stiff. Combining that with the multi fit profiles should get you close to what you had before (so he said).

This is a decent recommendation, except that it doesn't account for the areas where the skate is designed to flex. There was a really nice infographic released a few years back that showed where on each model they stiffen the boot, but I can't seem to find it online. Maybe someone else can. 

Thanks all.  I think we are just going to have him try on a bunch of stuff and see what works for him.  It is too bad Bauer doesn't offer the "fit guarantee" like CCM and True do.  But we'll see what he likes and go from there.  

10 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Thanks all.  I think we are just going to have him try on a bunch of stuff and see what works for him.  It is too bad Bauer doesn't offer the "fit guarantee" like CCM and True do.  But we'll see what he likes and go from there.  

If you buy from Pure Hockey, you have 30 days to try stuff out, including Bauer skates.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beedee said:

If you buy from Pure Hockey, you have 30 days to try stuff out, including Bauer skates.

Even bake, sharpen, use, etc?  Didn't realize that.  Great reason to buy from them.  

2 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Even bake, sharpen, use, etc?  Didn't realize that.  Great reason to buy from them.  

Yup, yup, yup and yup!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

This is a decent recommendation, except that it doesn't account for the areas where the skate is designed to flex. There was a really nice infographic released a few years back that showed where on each model they stiffen the boot, but I can't seem to find it online. Maybe someone else can. 

Like this?

stiffness-chart_en.jpg

Getting rid of the 90 day guarantee? That is highly unfortunate.

Going to have to find a new skate since the ribcor is the only skate that seems to fit me and gives me heel lock without aggravating bauer bumps and making it feel like im being stabbed 🙃

I wonder what kind of tech they are going to "mix" into the FT6 line.

5 hours ago, notverygood said:

Getting rid of the 90 day guarantee? That is highly unfortunate.

Going to have to find a new skate since the ribcor is the only skate that seems to fit me and gives me heel lock without aggravating bauer bumps and making it feel like im being stabbed 🙃

I wonder what kind of tech they are going to "mix" into the FT6 line.

I think it's great they are dumping it. As a store owner, I can tell you that the process is a nightmare for everyone other than the customer. As was mentioned, even after this guarantee is gone you can always buy skates at Pure Hockey and have 30 days to use and return if you dislike them. 

Quick update:

He tried a bunch of stuff on.  CCM 100K (Regular), Machs (Fit 1 and Fit 2), Catalysts, TF9s.

His face lit up with the Catalysts on his feet.  So that is what we are going for.  They didn't have the 9s in stock, so we are just waiting on them to come in.  

• Like 2

Does dropping down a model really give you a more flexible boot while still maintaining lateral support and offer premium features?

The real answer is No it won't.