Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
krisdrum

Off ice - slide board or Power Skater (Stryd.os)?

Looking for off-ice indoor workout equipment to help work on form (stacked position) and power (stride length and recovery).  Looking at slideboards (like the BRRRN) or a Power Skater (re-released by Stryd).  Anyone have experience with either?  Both?  Thoughts?

Oh wow, I had a slide board thing back in the 90's when it was an "as seen on TV" product for like $50... looks like they've come a ways lol, would actually love one like that now.  That other one looks amazing but a bit pricey for me.  I have nothing of value to add but am curious to see if anyone else has experience with them too.

I had two power skaters  for the high school team in Alaska I coached between 2002-2013. We never used them. 
The team got more out of hockey specific strength training, sprints and playing other sports outside of hockey.

stride boards are good, they have been around for a long time and I still have the boards from the same high school team.

While not specifically for stride work. stability ball balance work is great also. Developing the stabilizer muscles while kneeling or standing on a balance ball and stick handling is a great indoor exercise and a component of my training program.

For off ice skate training I recommend the Marsblade O1 to all my players (high school varsity/18AAA/AA). I’m in California now and there is plenty of pavement to skate on. Having used the power skater the Marsblade O1 is a far better investment.

Edited by sturdy22
Clarity
  • Like 2

Going to build Russian Wedge setup with the ability to adjust the width for my son.  I can build it with stuff I have around, so the investment is minimal.  He is 11 and just really starting to get into things on his own in the driveway.  This way if he wants to do it it is there, otherwise I am not out a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Going to build Russian Wedge setup with the ability to adjust the width for my son.  I can build it with stuff I have around, so the investment is minimal.  He is 11 and just really starting to get into things on his own in the driveway.  This way if he wants to do it it is there, otherwise I am not out a lot.

These are awesome 

On 2/20/2023 at 6:16 PM, sturdy22 said:

For off ice skate training I recommend the Marsblade O1 to all my players (high school varsity/18AAA/AA). I’m in California now and there is plenty of pavement to skate on. Having used the power skater the Marsblade O1 is a far better investment.

Absolutely.

On 2/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, sturdy22 said:

For off ice skate training I recommend the Marsblade O1 to all my players (high school varsity/18AAA/AA). I’m in California now and there is plenty of pavement to skate on.

I had to look those up, wasn't sure what they were. Sounds fun but we have to skate on the ice. No where to roller skate outdoors even in the summer.

4 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

I had to look those up, wasn't sure what they were. Sounds fun but we have to skate on the ice. No where to roller skate outdoors even in the summer.

Yeah if you don’t have anywhere to use the Marsblades or play roller hockey then it’s not an option.

when I lived in Alaska and rinks were mostly closed during the offseason my own kids used the slide boards and and played other sports.

my high school players spent time in the weight room and played soccer and tennis. A few would find ice or go to camps but I usually couldn’t tell the difference between those who skated and those who worked out and were active when practice’s started again in early fall. Only the players who did nothing were behind.

the power skaters the team had just collected dust and were eventually sold

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sturdy22 said:

I usually couldn’t tell the difference between those who skated and those who worked out and were active when practice’s started again in early fall. Only the players who did nothing were behind.

That's a very interesting comment.

On 2/20/2023 at 4:28 PM, krisdrum said:

Looking for off-ice indoor workout equipment to help work on form (stacked position) and power (stride length and recovery).  Looking at slideboards (like the BRRRN) or a Power Skater (re-released by Stryd).  Anyone have experience with either?  Both?  Thoughts?

Are you sprinting 3-4 times a week? Timed sprints, tracking progress, preferably spikes on a track with digital timer gate. If not available, cleats on grass and iPhone app.

15 hours ago, colins said:

Are you sprinting 3-4 times a week? Timed sprints, tracking progress, preferably spikes on a track with digital timer gate. If not available, cleats on grass and iPhone app.

Not to be obtuse, but how is sprinting on land going to work on form and technique that translates directly to ice?  I guess body positioning is somewhat similar from start, but the motion and muscle activation is different, no?  Sprinting on land you are driving your leg directly back.  A lot of glutes and knee drive to recover.  Stride on ice is more angular from the hips, no?  I can see sprinting directly translating to first three steps, but full stride and body position, I'm not convinced.  Happy to be corrected if I am missing something.  

18 hours ago, sturdy22 said:

Yeah if you don’t have anywhere to use the Marsblades or play roller hockey then it’s not an option.

when I lived in Alaska and rinks were mostly closed during the offseason my own kids used the slide boards and and played other sports.

my high school players spent time in the weight room and played soccer and tennis. A few would find ice or go to camps but I usually couldn’t tell the difference between those who skated and those who worked out and were active when practice’s started again in early fall. Only the players who did nothing were behind.

the power skaters the team had just collected dust and were eventually sold

Yeah, I am rethinking my approach for the spring/summer a bit.  Tennis will definitely be a part of it.  Especially if I can be conscious of body position and balance.  With that and the 2-3 times a week at the gym, my kid should be pretty good.  Maybe some little stuff to fill in here and there. 

I just need to figure out some stuff for me.  Probably roller/Marsblades to work on technique.  Not growing up playing, I am at a distinct disadvantage.  Thousands of hours missed moving my body on skates.  I'm sure just getting in better shape would help me period.  I'm sure I'll figure something out.    

14 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Not to be obtuse, but how is sprinting on land going to work on form and technique that translates directly to ice?  I guess body positioning is somewhat similar from start, but the motion and muscle activation is different, no?  Sprinting on land you are driving your leg directly back.  A lot of glutes and knee drive to recover.  Stride on ice is more angular from the hips, no?  I can see sprinting directly translating to first three steps, but full stride and body position, I'm not convinced.  Happy to be corrected if I am missing something.  

I don't think any off ice aid can help develop proper skating form. A slideboard can help develop some muscles used in skating - won't make you faster but should make you more stable. Balance work, hip and ankle mobility, all good things to make you a better skater.

But they won't really address skating form, that's an on-ice activity. If you develop excellent balance and range of motion (hips & ankles primarily), your skating will naturally get better the more you do it.

But sprinting addresses the 2nd half of the question - power. If you want to get faster, sprint. If you want to increase your athleticism overall, sprint. It's the rising tide that floats all boats. Sprinting is the holy grail. Get faster on land and you'll be faster on ice. Sprint training is as much about training your central nervous system as it is about training your muscles - Tony Holler 'Feed the Cats' has done excellent work in this area if you wanted to read more about it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, colins said:

I don't think any off ice aid can help develop proper skating form. A slideboard can help develop some muscles used in skating - won't make you faster but should make you more stable. Balance work, hip and ankle mobility, all good things to make you a better skater.

But they won't really address skating form, that's an on-ice activity. If you develop excellent balance and range of motion (hips & ankles primarily), your skating will naturally get better the more you do it.

But sprinting addresses the 2nd half of the question - power. If you want to get faster, sprint. If you want to increase your athleticism overall, sprint. It's the rising tide that floats all boats. Sprinting is the holy grail. Get faster on land and you'll be faster on ice. Sprint training is as much about training your central nervous system as it is about training your muscles - Tony Holler 'Feed the Cats' has done excellent work in this area if you wanted to read more about it.

And Mitch Stewart, S&C coach, from the Arizona Coyotes Feeds the Cats as well from a dosing standpoint.  Mike Boyle believes faster runners are faster skaters, too.  

For something to have transference to another activity, in this case sprinting to skating, the mechanics don't have to be identical.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, colins said:

I don't think any off ice aid can help develop proper skating form.

What about a skating treadmill? That's really all it's for isn't it?

On 3/28/2023 at 9:35 AM, colins said:

Thanks for the input.  It's funny I was looking at that "Twice Your Speed" program I always see advertised on social media, but the reviews of the site and experience are less than flattering.  Feed the Cats looks legit.  I'll have to check it out.  And I have a slideboard sitting in the basement, time to break that sucker out.    

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Thanks for the input.  It's funny I was looking at that "Twice Your Speed" program I always see advertised on social media, but the reviews of the site and experience are less than flattering.  Feed the Cats looks legit.  I'll have to check it out.  And I have a slideboard sitting in the basement, time to break that sucker out.    

Here's his intro video:

• Thanks 1

https://ultraslide.com/product/ultraslide-8/

Most of the speedskaters i know use this unit. If you utilize it regularly, well worth the investment in my opinion.

I've never personally seen the Brrrn unit, but it looks a bit light (as though it may move side to side as you stride) and doesn't offer different width options like the ultra slide

The stryd looks neat in theory but goes against every skating principle there is (pushing back behind you at a 45* angle)