Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
krisdrum

Bauer Pulse Ti vs. DLC (Step / Bladetech / etc.)

Any real difference in what Bauer is using as a coating on the Pulse Ti blades and what other folks are using in their DLC coatings?  Haven't played in the Bauer pond for several years now and just want to make sure I understand any similarities or differences.  

I've tried;

Step black dlc, pulse ti, true shift max dlc, and jrz pro black dlc 

You can tell the diff. Step and jrz being superior than true shift and Bauer pulse ti in terms of glide and bite. Edge retention for the true and pulse ti was pretty good though. Not an option for tuuk users, jut it's worth the $10 upgrade to get jrz and step imo. I haven't used bladetech or flare etc so I can't comment on those versions of their dlc. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I've tried;

Step black dlc, pulse ti, true shift max dlc, and jrz pro black dlc 

You can tell the diff. Step and jrz being superior than true shift and Bauer pulse ti in terms of glide and bite. Edge retention for the true and pulse ti was pretty good though. Not an option for tuuk users, jut it's worth the $10 upgrade to get jrz and step imo. I haven't used bladetech or flare etc so I can't comment on those versions of their dlc. 

The newest TRUE DLC steel is pretty good compared to the previous ONYX. Not better than STEP or JRZ. 

Bauer Pulse Ti is also decently good. Edge retention is good, but the steel seems a little softer so it get damages and gouged easily. 

Flare DLC needs some work, not very durable, and it separates from the steel easily. They also had some quality control issues recently with the company that was manufacturing the blades, as the steel they used dint have enough elasticity and instead would snap/break under load or when you took a shot off the steel. Not better than STEP or JRZ. 

JRZ and STEP are the best when it comes to DLC. I believe they are both using the same company for their coatings. 

No comment about Bladetech, I have not used their DLC and only used their black coated steel. It's been a long while since I touched their steel, the steel is good and sharpens nicely, but I didn't like the "flex" zone. 

RamonEdge has a coated steel, it's not DLC, but the coating is decently durable. Since their steel is slightly wider than 2.9mm, closer to 3.1mm I think it holds an edge well. Not better than STEP or JRZ. 

XC Blades, their DLC is very good. However, not better than STEP or JRZ. 

Edited by VegasHockey

Thanks all.  Very helpful.  My kid has been on Bladetech for the last year or so.  Non-DLC.  No real complaints.  I sharpen his stuff on a Prosharp.  But as you saw in other thread - he needs new skates and just wanted to understand all the factors.  

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Thanks all.  Very helpful.  My kid has been on Bladetech for the last year or so.  Non-DLC.  No real complaints.  I sharpen his stuff on a Prosharp.  But as you saw in other thread - he needs new skates and just wanted to understand all the factors.  

IMO, the coating all don't really add much, if any, performance value overall. Its more aesthetic. I would rather have 2 sets of stainless instead of one pair of DLC. If money is not an issue, then just get the DLC. 

Edited by VegasHockey

12 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

IMO, the coating all don't really add much, if any, performance value overall. Its more aesthetic. I would rather have 2 sets of stainless instead of one pair of DLC. If money is not an issue, then just get the DLC. 

Yeah, been keeping him in 2 pairs of quality stainless for awhile now.  Just thought if we were buying new skates, like the Machs that don't come with steel if I should go for the Pulse Ti.  

We just got back from trying on a bunch of stuff, and this looks like a moot point, as I think we are going to get him a pair of Catalyst 9s.  He liked those the best of all the stuff he tried on back to back.  

I can definitely feel the difference between stainless and dlc as the step and jrz is so buttery smooth and bite is noticeable. Does it actually affect performance? I can't really say but it's definitely at least psychological to the point where I can't go back to regular stainless lol. 

From my experience true coated steel does not offer any glide enhancement over polished steel (think Step Velocity or Bauer LS Pulse). What it does offer is better edge retention and fewer nicks and gouges.

This is just my experience, but I hated the stainless Pulse steel I bought for my 2015 Vapors. I recently switched to a new pair of AS-Vs with Step V-Steel and have had none of the problems I was having with the Pulse stainless. I skate on a pretty short profile (20/40 cag, 3/4 hollow) and it feels great on the Step steel but like skating in mud on the Pulse. Step is just so much easier to skate on; my legs were on fire by the 3rd period in the Bauers and I wound up going back to my old stock LS2 runners.

Now maybe the Tacks being a much stiffer boot than my old Vapors plays a role, but my experience with the Pulse runners was a factor in switching to CCMs (and also, the new AS-Vs are really great fitting skates).

54 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I know I sound like “get off my lawn guy,” but coatings aside even I’ll take any aftermarket steel over Bauer’s current steel any day of the week

Agreed. Better quality steel is going to yield more ROI than any coating. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:24 AM, VegasHockey said:

The newest TRUE DLC steel is pretty good compared to the previous ONYX. Not better than STEP or JRZ. 

Bauer Pulse Ti is also decently good. Edge retention is good, but the steel seems a little softer so it get damages and gouged easily. 

Flare DLC needs some work, not very durable, and it separates from the steel easily. They also had some quality control issues recently with the company that was manufacturing the blades, as the steel they used dint have enough elasticity and instead would snap/break under load or when you took a shot off the steel. Not better than STEP or JRZ. 

JRZ and STEP are the best when it comes to DLC. I believe they are both using the same company for their coatings. 

No comment about Bladetech, I have not used their DLC and only used their black coated steel. It's been a long while since I touched their steel, the steel is good and sharpens nicely, but I didn't like the "flex" zone. 

RamonEdge has a coated steel, it's not DLC, but the coating is decently durable. Since their steel is slightly wider than 2.9mm, closer to 3.1mm I think it holds an edge well. Not better than STEP or JRZ. 

XC Blades, their DLC is very good. However, not better than STEP or JRZ. 

Have you tried Byonic DLC?  

We've skated on a pair of 280mm Pulse TI runners for two seasons of competitive checking league hockey. Over 70 games anyway. The finish is amazing in that it doesn't look much different than when new (I wish we could pull photos directly from our devices for this board). The edge retention is good but they get damaged a lot sometimes not making it through a game. I chalk some of this up to the Fire hollow we choose.

23 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Yes. It's not very durable compared to the DLC process used by others. 

I can say that Byonic’s surface finish on the mirror DLC is the smoothest out there. I measure the surface finish with a confocal laser to get my measurements, so it’s not subjective feel… true data.  And you can feel the glide on their mirror polished DLC. 

Bladetech’s DLC seams really really good as well. For Bauer skates, these are really good options. I’ve sold a bunch of sets recently and everyone has loved them. 

Unpopular opinion: I am not a fan of Step.  I bought some XLST for my edge holders grant it this is uncoated but I just don't get the hype.  I came from LS3 and I don't think these hold an edge any better than the LS3 I was on prior.  Was looking to get into some Bauer Pulse TI when this steel is done.

Please don't ban me from the board, leave the horse head out of my bed.

53 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

Unpopular opinion: I am not a fan of Step.  I bought some XLST for my edge holders grant it this is uncoated but I just don't get the hype.  I came from LS3 and I don't think these hold an edge any better than the LS3 I was on prior.  Was looking to get into some Bauer Pulse TI when this steel is done.

BlackStep & V Step are infinitely better (not really, you know what I mean) compared to just regular step. Coming from LS3, I totally understand and don't disagree with your opinion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

I never really tried step ss longer than one skate before going to their blacksteel so can't really compare it to Bauer. I did have ls3 before and I definitely needed to Sharpen it often. Probably every 2-3 skates. But I like having crisp edges allt he time. Even with my blacksteel I sharpen it every 5-6 skates where I know most ppl go 10+.   Another thing to note, maybe more for the skate techs benefit is that step has better QC and tighter tolerances for their steel so they are very consistent with their stock profile, height, and cases of warped steel. 

2 hours ago, raganblink said:

BlackStep & V Step are infinitely better (not really, you know what I mean) compared to just regular step. Coming from LS3, I totally understand and don't disagree with your opinion. 

I guess with just the regular Step I don't see it.  I won't be able to try the Black or V as I am on Edge holders.

47 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I never really tried step ss longer than one skate before going to their blacksteel so can't really compare it to Bauer. I did have ls3 before and I definitely needed to Sharpen it often. Probably every 2-3 skates. But I like having crisp edges allt he time. Even with my blacksteel I sharpen it every 5-6 skates where I know most ppl go 10+.   Another thing to note, maybe more for the skate techs benefit is that step has better QC and tighter tolerances for their steel so they are very consistent with their stock profile, height, and cases of warped steel. 

I have my own Blackstone machine and prior to owning my own I worked in a shop (part of the reason I was on LS3 for so long was because I got it so cheap).  I feel I am sharpening my Step just as much as my LS3.  Again it's not Black or V so that could be why.  

15 hours ago, jeffg said:

Thoughts on tydan blades?

Very good quality blade. Right there with Step Steel. Harness and toughness is about the same as Step Stainless and Bladetech. 55Rc

On 2/27/2023 at 11:18 PM, 218hockey said:

Am I missing something here? We're comparing Bauer runners to Step? Why? Can I currently buy Step for Bauer Edge holders. Didn't think so.

We are just comparing steel brands. Nothing specific to any holder type. 

On 2/28/2023 at 2:38 AM, Paluce said:

Very good quality blade. Right there with Step Steel. Harness and toughness is about the same as Step Stainless and Bladetech. 55Rc

Agreed.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:50 PM, Paluce said:

I can say that Byonic’s surface finish on the mirror DLC is the smoothest out there. I measure the surface finish with a confocal laser to get my measurements, so it’s not subjective feel… true data.  And you can feel the glide on their mirror polished DLC. 

Finish is great but not durable. 

Edited by VegasHockey

Bumping to top - before I buy a second set of standard SS blades.  Does anyone have a source for JRZ Pro Black DLC blades for True Shift Max holders in the US?  I've found a few in CA, but none of them will ship to US.  The True branded blades seem to have inferior coating based on your inputs - so ruling them out.  The JRZ sound promising.  I could do Bladetech again, although not sure they are doing the Max version yet.  

I've always had a 2nd set of steel for my son since he was big enough to be in skates with a release.  We did a set of mirror and standard SS Bladetechs for his last pair of Ribcors (I had the standard SS before they switched over to the mirror being their lowest price point).  The mirror seemed to hold an edge better for him - or I could be crazy.  He just picked up Cat 9s and will need a second set for them.

He is 12, about to be 13 in June.  Outgrew the Ribcors before the end of the season, but was able to push through the last few weeks.  I am fully expecting him to outgrow the Trues before the end of the upcoming season. 

High quality DLC sounds awesome, but not sure the value is there given how he is and will be growing the next few years.  If I could get a pair of the JRZ, I might be down to try.  If not - no brainer to stick with SS and call it a day.      

On 3/7/2023 at 10:33 AM, krisdrum said:

Bumping to top - before I buy a second set of standard SS blades.  Does anyone have a source for JRZ Pro Black DLC blades for True Shift Max holders in the US?  I've found a few in CA, but none of them will ship to US.  The True branded blades seem to have inferior coating based on your inputs - so ruling them out.  The JRZ sound promising.  I could do Bladetech again, although not sure they are doing the Max version yet.  

I've always had a 2nd set of steel for my son since he was big enough to be in skates with a release.  We did a set of mirror and standard SS Bladetechs for his last pair of Ribcors (I had the standard SS before they switched over to the mirror being their lowest price point).  The mirror seemed to hold an edge better for him - or I could be crazy.  He just picked up Cat 9s and will need a second set for them.

He is 12, about to be 13 in June.  Outgrew the Ribcors before the end of the season, but was able to push through the last few weeks.  I am fully expecting him to outgrow the Trues before the end of the upcoming season. 

High quality DLC sounds awesome, but not sure the value is there given how he is and will be growing the next few years.  If I could get a pair of the JRZ, I might be down to try.  If not - no brainer to stick with SS and call it a day.      

Bladetech does have the max version. But I would email them to ensure that's the one they send you when you order online so they don't send you the regular shift one.