Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
gemini8026

Favorite helmet for comfort and adjustability?!? Any budget....

Fairly large head here.  Currently using an older Bauer Re-akt helmet.  LHS does NOT have a great selection of helmets in the large size for me to try out.  Essentially I am playing rec hockey and am more interested in comfort and adjustability.  I am rocking the half visor, with the ugly wargate lower cage for protection so my Re-akt is constantly slipping down my face.   6'2 , 230 lbs.  Just curious if anybody has anything that they love in terms of comfort and ability to adjust.  My issue is that my head size is right in between medium and large and I find them hard to find the perfect fit.  Not worried about budget, (maybe the Super Tacks X is out) I actually tried one out and it feels cool, but they only had S and medium sizes and were too tight, but not paying 500$ +

Any tips/suggestions appreciated for a guy who has limited options for trying on.....  Thx

I have used Bauer 4500 and CCM V08 for years and years as those helmets fit the shape of my head really well. This past season I got into a Tacks X and I won't use anything else. The 3D printed lattice structure pretty fits any shape and breathes really well.

Your point about price is completely valid and I'd never pay retail for one. I got a pro stock helmet in my size/preferred color for under $200. At that price I feel it was worth the splurge

5 hours ago, gemini8026 said:

Fairly large head here.  Currently using an older Bauer Re-akt helmet. 

Then I believe you'll want the RE-AKT 150. Similar fit, more adjustable.

6 hours ago, gemini8026 said:

Fairly large head here.  Currently using an older Bauer Re-akt helmet.  LHS does NOT have a great selection of helmets in the large size for me to try out.  Essentially I am playing rec hockey and am more interested in comfort and adjustability.  I am rocking the half visor, with the ugly wargate lower cage for protection so my Re-akt is constantly slipping down my face.   6'2 , 230 lbs.  Just curious if anybody has anything that they love in terms of comfort and ability to adjust.  My issue is that my head size is right in between medium and large and I find them hard to find the perfect fit.  Not worried about budget, (maybe the Super Tacks X is out) I actually tried one out and it feels cool, but they only had S and medium sizes and were too tight, but not paying 500$ +

Any tips/suggestions appreciated for a guy who has limited options for trying on.....  Thx

I am also of the the big dome piece coalition haha. If you can spending some time window-shopping on Sideline Swap, I would. I've gotten both my ice and inline helmets (OG Bauer Re-Akt). The Re-Akt is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn and haven't cared to find a more current replacement but instead look on third-party websites to find old "new" stock and hope they have my size. For officiating, I currently use the CCM Tacks 910 and it feels pretty comfortable. The difference is that for my Re-Akt helmets, I wear fishbowls (you can see my profile pic for reference) whereas with the Tacks, I only wear a visor. So I don't know how the latter feels with a full cage/shield.

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

One other thing to realize... not all helmets are the same shape.  I love my Tacks 910 and wore V08's and 4500's before that, all are made for oval shaped heads.  I tried a Resistance/710 and one of the Bauer IMS models but they were too round and never felt good on my head.  So finding the right shape is a big help... with that said, the Tacks 910 is extremely comfortable and has basic adjustability but there are some Bauer models which offer the traditional front/back adjustment as well as a side to side adjustment (I had to get one of those for my son since he had a big old round head and everything else hurt lol, I just checked and its a Reakt 150 so that might be worth a look).

• Like 1

I like my Warrior Alpha Pro. Great blend of price, protection and comfort. Comin from higher model Bauers i'm a big fan of the Warrior helmet.

Tacks 710...hands down for me. Checks all my boxes...light, cool, comfortable, protective.  Has to be the right shape for you though...that's key.  My first helmet was a Northland/Lange cuz I was a HUGE Denny Potvin fan.  That thing was a nightmare! Weighed a ton and hard as a rock inside. Switched to the classic CCM...bingo.  Been in those since 1979.

• Like 1