Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jeffg

Bauer Mach Skates

I use wear a pair of Bauer X800 Vapor Skates size 7.5 EE.  I currently have a pair of Vapor 3x Pro size 7.5 fit 3.  I had to punch out the side of my right skate as my Bunion near the side of my big toe would rub.  After punching the skate out quite a bit the rubbing was less, but still rubbed.  I have been wearing Bauer vapor skates size 7.5 EE for years. I tried on a pair of Bauer Mach skates size 7.5 fit 3  thinking they are supposed to be the widest Bauer skate and they hurt the bunion on the side of right foot by my big toe much worse than any of my other skates.  Looking for suggestions as to why or what size skate to go to.  I am considering going back to my X800 skates.

Toe cap on the 3X Pro is wider than that of the Mach.  Hard to give any advice based on a bunion issue.  Did you scan for a 7.5 Fit 3?  Some folks have a particular issue that makes them a good candidate for custom skates.  

If I recall correctly, that area of the skate can still be punched, but it is fairly close to the toe cap.

I can kind of relate, as someone who went from 7EE Vapor x500's, to Vapor 3x, 7, Fit 2 and am now in a 6.5 Mach, Fit 3.  Most recently foot scanned at a 6.5 and in between E to EE, closer to EE. 6.5, 6.5 Fit 2 in either skate (Vapor or Supreme) had too much pressure in the outside of my feet, elongating them enough to put too much pressure on the toe caps, enough that even after breaking in I wouldn’t be comfortable in them. Like you, I have developed a bunion in the same spot, where the big toe meets the foot. I want to say this developed many years ago when I wore Graf Ultra G5's for a few years, I could never get those to feel quite right. I was in Supremes (I forget what model, as it was a LONG time ago) before I was in the Grafs....mainly wanted to try the Grafs because of how great I hear they were....but in my case, not so much. Anyhow, in the Grafs it literally hurt to walk in them because the bunions were rubbing hard against where the toecaps met the boot. So I was done with the Grafs and moved back into a Vapor (can't remember why I didnt go back into a Supreme). Great move at first as the bunion was a non-issue in the Vapors. However again after 4 years or so in the x500's my feet would ache and even go numb if I didnt lace them just right, it was a very fine line. So last year I was looking at new skates, had my first ever scan that recommended size 7, Fit 2 (most recent scan recommended 6.5, Fit 2..not uncommon to have different results on the scan, and they are just starting points). I tried on a plethora of skates in that mid price-point range, every CCM trim, the True TF series and the Supreme 3s and the Vapor 3x. Long story short, the Vapor 3x felt the best hands down in a 7, Fit 2. A year later I had the opportunity to hop into a top tier skate for an insane deal. Naturally I wanted to try the Hyperlite, being that I was in a Vapor 3x. But I just didnt like how they felt, same size and fit as my 3x. I tried on a Supreme Mach in a 6.5, Fit 3 and wow was I amazed! So much more comfortable to me than the Vapor 3x (for the obvious reasons). For my foot, the half size down, and one fit up did the trick. Allowed my foot to splay properly without any pressure on the outside of my feet that the size 7, fit 2 Vapors had. My bunions are still a non-issue, they aren't huge (compared to a couple guys on my team). Side by side, I give the nod to the Vapor for having more room in the forefoot and toe caps, but I'm really happy with how well the Machs fit me in the 6.5, Fit 3.

TLDR; if you an get in a shop and try on a bunch of skates in every brand and trim, you should be able to find something that works. I found the JetSpeeds and Tacks to be adequate in the toe box, didnt bother me at all in the Tacks, only issue was the pinky toe with the JetSpeeds. TF Trues were roomy up front too, Catalysts were more narrow, with more padding up there. 

Unfortunately I don’t live near anyplace that can properly fit skates or have a good selection.  I’m guessing I will have to wait until I get near a good hockey store