Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
drmFF33

Proper Skate Fit Help (Bauer, True)

Hey guys,

Was hoping I could seek some insight on proper skate fit. I recently started playing competitively & recreationally again after a 10 year hiatus, played high level through my younger years and high school but never went past that as it was time to get into the work force. Long story short at the beginning of this year I noticed I definitely needed new skates (10 year old Bauer one.8's, that were bought too big as my parents always had the "buy one size bigger" mentality so I would "grow" into them, turns out that set I never did, lol). They were a size 8.5D, my shoe size is approx 9/9.5. Not knowing anything about getting skates properly fitted I came across a set of True TF9's 7.5R that were being sold secondhand but were new (didnt fit the guy properly), $350CAD w/ Tuuk holders & steel. Did lots of reading on here and it seemed like that would be the right size, so went to Sportchek tried them on in a 7.5R and they felt pretty tight but from what I read thats the way they should feel before a bake so I went ahead and picked the used set up. Got them baked and everything felt awesome initially. Fast forward 6 months later I have a ton of my pain on my outside of my forefoot and the outside of my ankle bone always has been an issue with the Trues, have had them punched a couple times. Tried the TFPRO tongues as the stock TF9 tongues would dig into the outside of my ankle, alleviated some pain, but still present.

So I figured Id go to my LHS and get scanned and fitted for some Bauers. Initially thought Id go with some Hyperlites but was open to the Mach's as well, just whatever fit best. Scan came to a 7.5 FIT3. To my surprise I actually had wide feet which I never knew. Explained my pain in the Trues. So tried on some 7.5 FIT3 Hyperlites, too long. They didnt have FIT3's in Size 7. So tried in the 3X Pro in 7 FIT3, felt comfortable but not super 'tight' if that makes sense, through the whole skate just kinda felt like there was too much volume? Tried the 7 FIT3's in the Machs and they felt the best, im not sure if it was because I was able to get them tighter with the traditional eyelets, but they almost felt maybe they were a touch too long? I also came across a set of new Hyperlites size 7 FIT3 for a good price on marketplace, but not sure I want to go down that road again lol. Now im wondering if I should go back and try a 6.5 FIT3 (bonus as theyre cheap due to the int sizing) in both models, and maybe a 7 FIT2 in the Vapor line.

How should the skates feel before being baked? As far as width tight but not uncomfortable? Toes touching the toe box? I know the Trues changed drastically after being baked, so im afraid of buying skates that fit good out of the box but over time break in to be too big, if that makes sense. Especially at the $1k price point.

My LHS has been awesome with helping me and are very knowledgable but I know theres a ton of people on here that are experts on this stuff, so just wanted to reach out.

Sorry if this thread is in this wrong section.

Having recently got my TRUEs fitted properly, they feel initially a bit tight on the sides with the toes touching the front. Then as it moulds your ankle gets pushed back a bit, and everything kinda relaxes a bit. My feet were still a little uncomfortable until I got my first skate in. I don't believe the skate that fits well will break in and then be too big, as skates break in they usually form more to your feet to my knowledge.

Are you able to easily get on your outside edge?  Given where you are getting the pressure (outside of foot and ankle), wondering if you are not balanced over the blade and putting undue pressure on the outside of your foot.  A 10 year break could certainly change your biomechanics and muscle strength from a skating perspective.  

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Are you able to easily get on your outside edge?  Given where you are getting the pressure (outside of foot and ankle), wondering if you are not balanced over the blade and putting undue pressure on the outside of your foot.  A 10 year break could certainly change your biomechanics and muscle strength from a skating perspective.  

No problems getting on my edges no. I had no issues with my old skates as far as pain when I first got back into it (probably had half a dozen skates), then I got the trues and the pain was more prominent. I’m wondering if the extra length in the 8.5D’s helped with the overall width and where my foot actually sat in the boot. They were definitely way too big, my toes weren’t even near the toe box. 

I definitely agree after 10 years that could forsure be a factor. But I feel like my skating right now is pretty good, I don’t think it is a biomechanics thing. But who knows? 

On 4/23/2023 at 9:06 AM, drmFF33 said:

Hey guys,

Was hoping I could seek some insight on proper skate fit. I recently started playing competitively & recreationally again after a 10 year hiatus, played high level through my younger years and high school but never went past that as it was time to get into the work force. Long story short at the beginning of this year I noticed I definitely needed new skates (10 year old Bauer one.8's, that were bought too big as my parents always had the "buy one size bigger" mentality so I would "grow" into them, turns out that set I never did, lol). They were a size 8.5D, my shoe size is approx 9/9.5. Not knowing anything about getting skates properly fitted I came across a set of True TF9's 7.5R that were being sold secondhand but were new (didnt fit the guy properly), $350CAD w/ Tuuk holders & steel. Did lots of reading on here and it seemed like that would be the right size, so went to Sportchek tried them on in a 7.5R and they felt pretty tight but from what I read thats the way they should feel before a bake so I went ahead and picked the used set up. Got them baked and everything felt awesome initially. Fast forward 6 months later I have a ton of my pain on my outside of my forefoot and the outside of my ankle bone always has been an issue with the Trues, have had them punched a couple times. Tried the TFPRO tongues as the stock TF9 tongues would dig into the outside of my ankle, alleviated some pain, but still present.

So I figured Id go to my LHS and get scanned and fitted for some Bauers. Initially thought Id go with some Hyperlites but was open to the Mach's as well, just whatever fit best. Scan came to a 7.5 FIT3. To my surprise I actually had wide feet which I never knew. Explained my pain in the Trues. So tried on some 7.5 FIT3 Hyperlites, too long. They didnt have FIT3's in Size 7. So tried in the 3X Pro in 7 FIT3, felt comfortable but not super 'tight' if that makes sense, through the whole skate just kinda felt like there was too much volume? Tried the 7 FIT3's in the Machs and they felt the best, im not sure if it was because I was able to get them tighter with the traditional eyelets, but they almost felt maybe they were a touch too long? I also came across a set of new Hyperlites size 7 FIT3 for a good price on marketplace, but not sure I want to go down that road again lol. Now im wondering if I should go back and try a 6.5 FIT3 (bonus as theyre cheap due to the int sizing) in both models, and maybe a 7 FIT2 in the Vapor line.

How should the skates feel before being baked? As far as width tight but not uncomfortable? Toes touching the toe box? I know the Trues changed drastically after being baked, so im afraid of buying skates that fit good out of the box but over time break in to be too big, if that makes sense. Especially at the $1k price point.

My LHS has been awesome with helping me and are very knowledgable but I know theres a ton of people on here that are experts on this stuff, so just wanted to reach out.

Sorry if this thread is in this wrong section.

After wearing Vapors for the last five years or so I ended up in a Supreme Mach. I tried on every CCM and True Catalysts but nothing felt as good as Bauer does on my feet.

That being said, I went down a half size and up in a Fit. My Vapor 3x were a 7, Fit 2, my Machs are 6.5, Fit 3. They both have the same length runners/holders/footbeds. The boot length feels VERY similar. The Mach having more volume allows my feet to splay properly without any additional pressure on the outside of my feet. The Vapors did have a bit of pressure on the outside of my feet, as well as on the instep, I wore them for over a year. I tried on Hyperlites in a 7, Fit 2 and they felt like my foot was in a cave. Also, when standing in the Hyperlites, I felt like it was easy for my ankles to "rest" outward, no matter how many lacing variations I tried, they seemed to lean towards the outside edge for some reason. Prior to my old x500 Vapors (which I also never loved) I had Graf Ultra G5, never loved them after 3 years of trying. Before that I was in some Supreme ONE90's (which I don't recall hating). 

Lastly, my foot scanned at a 6.5 and in between E to EE, closer to EE. 6.5, (my previous x500 Vapors were 7EE). 6.5 Fit 2 in either skate had too much pressure in the outside of my feet, elongating them enough to put too much pressure on the toe caps, enough that even after breaking in I wouldn’t be comfortable in them. I have almost 3 months of using my Machs once to twice a week and love them. Slight adjustment period due to the Supreme being more neutrally pitched compared to the Vapors, but its all good now. 

Any reason you’re not looking at CCMs as well? I wore Bauers for about 25 years before recently switching to the CCM one piece boot. Best skates on the market currently IMO. 

6 hours ago, beedee said:

After wearing Vapors for the last five years or so I ended up in a Supreme Mach. I tried on every CCM and True Catalysts but nothing felt as good as Bauer does on my feet.

That being said, I went down a half size and up in a Fit. My Vapor 3x were a 7, Fit 2, my Machs are 6.5, Fit 3. They both have the same length runners/holders/footbeds. The boot length feels VERY similar. The Mach having more volume allows my feet to splay properly without any additional pressure on the outside of my feet. The Vapors did have a bit of pressure on the outside of my feet, as well as on the instep, I wore them for over a year. I tried on Hyperlites in a 7, Fit 2 and they felt like my foot was in a cave. Also, when standing in the Hyperlites, I felt like it was easy for my ankles to "rest" outward, no matter how many lacing variations I tried, they seemed to lean towards the outside edge for some reason. Prior to my old x500 Vapors (which I also never loved) I had Graf Ultra G5, never loved them after 3 years of trying. Before that I was in some Supreme ONE90's (which I don't recall hating). 

Lastly, my foot scanned at a 6.5 and in between E to EE, closer to EE. 6.5, (my previous x500 Vapors were 7EE). 6.5 Fit 2 in either skate had too much pressure in the outside of my feet, elongating them enough to put too much pressure on the toe caps, enough that even after breaking in I wouldn’t be comfortable in them. I have almost 3 months of using my Machs once to twice a week and love them. Slight adjustment period due to the Supreme being more neutrally pitched compared to the Vapors, but its all good now. 

Thanks for the insight. Very helpful. I think im going to go ahead and try the 6.5's in both the Hyperlite and Mach and see how those feel. Bonus that theyre intermediate sizing and are a bit cheaper.

More neutrally pitched as in more on your heels correct? Vapors have a more forward pitch?

Thats one thing I noticed when I first got my Trues, felt like I was on my heels BIG time. And I think it was mostly attributed to the brand new steel. My old Bauer skates steel were shaped like a banana from all the rink sharpenings over the years, never even noticed or was the wiser. Got the Trues 'profiled' (which I didnt even know was a thing, or specific hollows, lol) and it made a world of a difference. 

3 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Any reason you’re not looking at CCMs as well? I wore Bauers for about 25 years before recently switching to the CCM one piece boot. Best skates on the market currently IMO. 

You know what, no specific reason at all other than brand familiarity. Ive never used CCM for anything other than protective equipment. I should definitely at least try them on. I know my LHS has the FT4 Pro's on sale right now. 

Off topic, but ive actually been meaning to try their sticks as well. Same thing been stuck on Bauer for a long time.

13 hours ago, drmFF33 said:

Thanks for the insight. Very helpful. I think im going to go ahead and try the 6.5's in both the Hyperlite and Mach and see how those feel. Bonus that theyre intermediate sizing and are a bit cheaper.

More neutrally pitched as in more on your heels correct? Vapors have a more forward pitch?

Thats one thing I noticed when I first got my Trues, felt like I was on my heels BIG time. And I think it was mostly attributed to the brand new steel. My old Bauer skates steel were shaped like a banana from all the rink sharpenings over the years, never even noticed or was the wiser. Got the Trues 'profiled' (which I didnt even know was a thing, or specific hollows, lol) and it made a world of a difference. 

You're welcome, and yes, the extra savings of being in an Intermediate size is awesome!

Regarding the pitch, correct. The Supreme had a more "on my heels" feel than my Vapors. So much so that my first public skate in them felt pretty weird, felt like I was only using the back half of the steel! Regarding True's, that is interesting that you felt like you were more on your heels (but you could be right about your old steels contributing to that), most report that they have an even more aggressive pitch than Vapors, making you feel further forward. I have never tried Trues out on the ice, only tried them on in the store. To me, the TF line felt really open in the toe box area (similar to a Vapor), the Catalyst line felt more narrow overall, with more padding in the boot compared to the TF line. 

My experience with CCM is that they made my arches feel like they were on fire. I have pretty low arch, and even after putting SuperFeet in, the pain was not something that I could ignore. Tried JetSpeeds, SuperTacks and RibCores. Obviously everyones foot is different, so if CCM works for you, that is great! Some good deals on FT4's out there right now!

Edited by beedee