Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Allan1875

Advice on Hyperlite tongues (possibly switching them)

Hey all,

So recently my 12 year old one100 skates needed to be replaced so I got Hyperlites.  I actually wanted 3x Pro but they didn't have my size and I am impatient.  The standard tongue felt ok in the shop but as soon as I skated with it, I absolutely hated it.

Currently the only options my LHS can offer is:

-   Fit the CCM XS tongue range

-  Take the tongue from my one100 and put in my Hyperlite

What do you guys think?  Any recommendations?  How do the CCM tongues feel?   Only reason I am partly against moving my old tongue is I would like a backup pair of skates incase they are needed.  Do you have any recommendations for different tongues and where they could be purchased?

From what I can find online, it seems like most NHL players wearing hyperlite have opted for a felt tongue but finding information on this topic isn't easy.  I've went back to wearing my old skates currently as I feel so uncomfortable with the new tongue.  

I did put my Hyperlites up for sale with £200 off the retail price but have had little interest so far as I was just going to buy 3x Pro or whatever the replacement is with Bauer's new line.

Edited by Allan1875

I wouldn't put your 12 year old tongues in the new skates. CCM has a ton of different sizes, thickness etc, and would be an easy DIY solution. You could also easily switch them out if they weren't what you're looking for.  Nash Sniper tongues are an option, and Graf replacement tongues are easy to source as well. True tongues are also readily available in multiple styles as well. 

3 hours ago, Monty22 said:

I wouldn't put your 12 year old tongues in the new skates. CCM has a ton of different sizes, thickness etc, and would be an easy DIY solution. You could also easily switch them out if they weren't what you're looking for.  Nash Sniper tongues are an option, and Graf replacement tongues are easy to source as well. True tongues are also readily available in multiple styles as well. 

Fair point about the old tongues, I had thought about that myself. I did try and spice bauer tongues. 

I've seen the nash sniper talked about, seem popular. 

I was gonna get them done at the LHS, have many people changed these themselves? I don't mind giving it a go. 

It's not an overly complicated process to swap them- I've done about 8 over the years. This is an older thread but the info is still good. 

Switching to CCM tongues would be the least labor intensive- remove the old tongues, and drill holes to accommodate the CCM mounting hardware, snap in new tongues. Done.  

8 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Why not get the tongue from the UltraSonic or Mach?

Can you buy them separately? If so, where from? 

1 hour ago, Monty22 said:

It's not an overly complicated process to swap them- I've done about 8 over the years. This is an older thread but the info is still good. 

Switching to CCM tongues would be the least labor intensive- remove the old tongues, and drill holes to accommodate the CCM mounting hardware, snap in new tongues. Done.  

Thank you, much appreciated 

15 hours ago, Allan1875 said:

Can you buy them separately? If so, where from? 

Thank you, much appreciated 

I was told you could order them from any Bauer dealer.

On 4/27/2023 at 4:49 AM, 218hockey said:

I was told you could order them from any Bauer dealer.

I tried and was told no. I'm in the UK so unsure if that's why not. 

8 hours ago, Allan1875 said:

Been offered these out of a size 6. Thoughts? 

https://ibb.co/yg3hZM6

Ask what the overall length is and see if it's close to what you have.  The Graf tongues tend to be on the thicker side, so ensure you will have enough room in the boot to accommodate.  The felt would go under the toecap, the leather over and the stitching about where the holes are now. 

Update. Bought a pair of XS tongues and seemed just an easier fit than having to sew tongues in and could easily do it myself.

First hurdle was the toe cap was too thick to get the clips through. Had to shave some depth off with the dremel but got it fitted. 

Tried it on and due to the extra volume the clip system takes up inside, there is now not enough volume left inside my toe cap, it feels uncomfortable.

I am feeling really deflated about the whole thing and wondering what I should do:

1) Fit the second tongue and sell them on 

2) Fit the original tongues back on and patch the holes in the toe cap and the dremel part, most likely with epoxy or something similar 

3) See if my LHS can get a replacement toe cap from bauer, fit that and get the original tongues fitted and sell them on

4) Patch the toe cap, buy Nash sniper tongues and fit them instead

Any other ideas? This whole saga has been really depressing due to the cost of skates in the UK and I just want to sort it. 

I am $1100 dollars deep on these now after buying the skates and the tongues. 

Which XS tongues did you try?  They have a normal, a thin, and an extra thick... if you tried the thick one maybe see if you can swap them for the standard or thin to try out?

On 4/26/2023 at 7:33 PM, icecop22 said:

Nash Sniper Tongue. Just installed on a pair of mach skates, made a world of difference

What didnt you like about the Mach tongues? Mine feel great to me.

1 hour ago, beedee said:

What didnt you like about the Mach tongues? Mine feel great to me.

Just felt way too stiff for my liking, and also was looking to gain a little more volume by switching to the sniper tongues. 

10 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Which XS tongues did you try?  They have a normal, a thin, and an extra thick... if you tried the thick one maybe see if you can swap them for the standard or thin to try out?

I have the regular but shop are gonna exchange for the thin for me to try. 

If that's no good then I'm thinking I will seal the holes and try a set of Nash tongues or sell them with ccm in. 

4 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Can you post a couple of pics of what the toe cap looks like now? 

Yeh sure. 

Also have another update. I emailed Bauer USA who have put me in touch with bauer Europe about supplying me some felt tongues to be sewn in so fingers crossed.

I've only drilled one cap but even if I stitch in tongues I would like them to look the same for my ocd ha.

https://ibb.co/7W8QJ91

https://ibb.co/L5hvg67

Edited by Allan1875

Personally if you were to swap tongues, id cut the hyperlite tongue leaving about an inch for a "tab". Id sew Velcro on it and now you'll be able to swap any tongue you want in and out as long as you also stitch some Velcro on the new tongue. 

On 5/6/2023 at 8:02 PM, VegasHockey said:

I would personally do the CCM XS tongues so in the future you can replace the tongue again easily. 

I did, they fit of the regular was really too thick.

Update to the story is that I spoke with Bauer today and paid for felt tongues which they are sending out.  I will patch up the top cap that I drilled to fit the XS tongue (only done one skate) and then I will sew the new tongues in.  After all this saga I will post some pictures once complete.

26 minutes ago, Allan1875 said:

Update to the story is that I spoke with Bauer today and paid for felt tongues which they are sending out.  I will patch up the top cap that I drilled to fit the XS tongue (only done one skate) and then I will sew the new tongues in.  After all this saga I will post some pictures once complete.

Damn you actually drilled the holes eh... You coudkve removed the attachment system off the ccm tongues and sewed those on... 

14 hours ago, Allan1875 said:

There are multiple XS tongues to choose from. Why didn't you just get a thinner tongue? 

13 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

You could've removed the attachment system off the CCM tongues and sewed those on... 

That's an option too. 

While we're on the topic, anyone know if there are tongues out there resembling the Bauer double felt option? Preferably ones that can be purchased, or perhaps found on Sideline Swap? 

Thanks.