Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Badaboom

Can the same blade radius hollow feels more/less sharp on different Vapor skates

My radius hollow is 5/8'' and to my surprise, the same blade (LS Pule, radius 5/8'') felt much sharper on my new Bauer Vapor 3X PRO vs my old Vapor XPS2. Is this normal ? Thx

If it's the identical steel swapped to the new skate/holder then maybe it's just the newer boot with more stiffness creating the feeling of a sharper edge?  Maybe the old holder was worn and the steel was sitting ever so slightly off so it felt less sharp?  I'm just coming up with theories but my bet is the stiffer boot has your foot in a better position and therefore the steel is contacting the ice a little different and feeling a bit sharper.

• Like 2

As a test, I swap the exact same steel blade (LS Pulse, radius 5/8'') that was on my old Vapor XPS2 and install them on my new Vapor 3X PRO. The edge sharpness feels very different, outer edge feels wayyyy sharper on the Vapor 3X PRO. 

Check that the holder is actually mounted to the bottom of the boot in the exact same alignment for both skates. You'd be surprised with the level of care taken with this important aspect.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 6:08 AM, Badaboom said:

As a test, I swap the exact same steel blade (LS Pulse, radius 5/8'') that was on my old Vapor XPS2 and install them on my new Vapor 3X PRO. The edge sharpness feels very different, outer edge feels wayyyy sharper on the Vapor 3X PRO. 

As long as the holders are mounted centrally, it's not the steel, it's the boot. It's a newer, stiffer boot that I assume is fitting you better than your older boot. This better fit helps to hold the ankle straighter therefore you have more edge biting into the ice. Your older boot has less support for the ankle, this allows the ankle to fold slightly inwards on the outside edge (the boot stands more upright) and therefore the edge isn't as good. If you are noticing this big a difference between the 2 boots on an outside edge then your bio mechanical alignment (ie pronation) over the skate blade isn't that good.

• Like 1

-Does the new skate fit the same as the old one? Or is the fit of the new skate perhaps better? Skate depth, stiffness etc..

-Can you flex forward more in the new skate?

-Is the new skate (boot) pitched different than the old one, or do you have a different insole?

there are many factors to be considered!

My 15 yr old son recently switched from Vapor 3X pro to the Mach and noticed the same thing. Swapped the steel, so the same in both. Felt alot sharper on the outside edge. He has gotten used to the feeling.