Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pucks_putts

Anyone try the Powerfly holders yet?

Well that's good to hear. I plan on getting a pair at the end of this month when Pure Hockey has them available. I was hoping that the change wouldn't too drastic 😅

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

I just saw that with custom orders you have the option to get LS or Powerfly, I'm guessing many custom users aren't sold on the new holder just yet so they want to make sure they're happy. 

Also noticed they dropped the Tuuk branding on the holder, or maybe it's just smaller and hidden now? Personally I think if they dropped the branding completely it would be a big mistake, kind of like when CCM dropped the Tacks model name.

2 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I just saw that with custom orders you have the option to get LS or Powerfly, I'm guessing many custom users aren't sold on the new holder just yet so they want to make sure they're happy. 

Probably more to do with the current Pulse and Carbonlite steel not being compatible with the Fly holder.  Lot of folks now have many sets of profiled steel and they would rather not have to ditch their investment.

Also anyone ordering a custom Mach can opt for the new holder as well.

Edited by mojo122
added content

13 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Also noticed they dropped the Tuuk branding on the holder, or maybe it's just smaller and hidden now? Personally I think if they dropped the branding completely it would be a big mistake, kind of like when CCM dropped the Tacks model name.

Yeah, it would be sad if they drop Tuuk… but every picture i’ve seen is missing it. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:35 PM, 218hockey said:

So will this be the end of NHL players losing steel during a shift?

Yeah, but this never, ever happened. And, edge holders definitely didn’t consistently get loose after a year or two and you had to put tape on the top of the steel to keep it from moving in the holder. Bauer products are perfect. They don’t make mistakes or have quality issues. 

No lie Bauer top of line gear quality has dropped in the last five years or so. But my sons UltraSonic holders have gone through a tough varsity season and many many runner changes and they still work and feel exactly the same as new.

On 6/12/2023 at 3:23 PM, 218hockey said:

No lie Bauer top of line gear quality has dropped in the last five years or so. But my sons UltraSonic holders have gone through a tough varsity season and many many runner changes and they still work and feel exactly the same as new.

I think that's just what products are like these days. Doesn't matter if it's hockey equipment or cars. Quality is jus trash. 

On 6/14/2023 at 9:58 AM, Sniper9 said:

I think that's just what products are like these days. Doesn't matter if it's hockey equipment or cars. Quality is jus trash. 

Yep. It's a race to the bottom.

On 6/14/2023 at 10:58 AM, Sniper9 said:

I don't totally disagree. Though you can still find quality items. You have to look and they're generally not cheap. In some cases it's not that the quality sucks. It's that due to cost they can't use premium materials. In general, we live in a disposable world. It doesn't make sense to make something that will last 15 years if the user will only be using it for 5 or you plan to release another version in 3. There is another aspect that the normal consumer doesn't consider. Most companies are using contract manufacturers to build their products these days. You no longer have your own QC people on the production floor. It's the CM's QC people upholding a standard that's been agreed upon. It's not easy.

Then there is other side where things do last, like cell phones, but they want you to upgrade every two years.

6 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Yep. It's a race to the bottom.

Most companies don't want to produce crap, they really don't. It ruins the brand. Once you ruin the brand, you are cooked. Since we're discussing hockey equipment. Look no further than Graf. Does anyone have any faith in anything that company produces, aw hell no!

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I don't totally disagree. Though you can still find quality items. You have to look and they're generally not cheap. In some cases it's not that the quality sucks. It's that due to cost they can't use premium materials. In general, we live in a disposable world. It doesn't make sense to make something that will last 15 years if the user will only be using it for 5 or you plan to release another version in 3. There is another aspect that the normal consumer doesn't consider. Most companies are using contract manufacturers to build their products these days. You no longer have your own QC people on the production floor. It's the CM's QC people upholding a standard that's been agreed upon. It's not easy.

Then there is other side where things do last, like cell phones, but they want you to upgrade every two years.

Most companies don't want to produce crap, they really don't. It ruins the brand. Once you ruin the brand, you are cooked. Since we're discussing hockey equipment. Look no further than Graf. Does anyone have any faith in anything that company produces, aw hell no!

Some very good points made.  Bottom line is that the goal of any company is to maximize profits.  Bauer at one point in time used licensed materials which come at a cost.  Seems like these days they continue to look for alternatives which are often hit or miss.  

10 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Some very good points made.  Bottom line is that the goal of any company is to maximize profits.  Bauer at one point in time used licensed materials which come at a cost.  Seems like these days they continue to look for alternatives which are often hit or miss.  

All brands are trying to either develop their own IP or materials to avoid licensing costs or royalties that need to be paid to other brands. While I would like to think this is to help lower the cost of products, it's more to increase the profit margins. This is also why all the big players are trying to go direct to consumer and cut out stores, so they can have significantly larger profits. 

One example, the CCM AS-V Pro skate. Wholesale for most stores is about $620.00 (with STEP Blacksteel), depending on the store size and their booking discounts. Retail is 1199.99 (with STEP Blacksteel) which leaves a store a decent margin of about 50% if they sell the skates at full price without discounts. If CCM can instead sell that product directly to the consumer, they make their wholesale margin plus the retail margin for the same items. That's a pretty significant increase in profits. This also allows the companies to own the relationship with the consumer directly, which is also profitable. The company that is best known for doing this is Apple, and they have been VERY successful at it. 

Bauer has been VERY aggressive with DTC (direct to consumer) and has been closing retail stores at an aggressive pace in 2023. This has many stores, both big and small, concerned that Bauer wants to own the end-to-end sale of their items to increase profits while decreasing their overhead on selling to retailers. Don't be surprised if in the next few years you see Bauer attempting to partner only with big box retailers and closing the accounts of all medium/smaller stores. Bauer already closed a few big stores in 2023, and some of those stores were selling more than 20M in Bauer product annually. 

Away, I have gone way off-topic, so I will step back into the shadows. 

So just got back from using my PowerFly Holders (along with the Fly-TI steel) for the first time. One thing I didn't realize is that it seems length of the PowerFlys are shorter than the outgoing LS Trigger TUUKs. With my first pair of True SVH Customs, I had to drop down to the 280mm TUUKs to have the holders fit underneath the boot appropriately. With the PowerFlys though, I'm back to a 288mm holder (which is the size I've used for probably 12 of the 13 years of me wearing the stripes). This is alone was worth the "upgrade" in Bauer holders.

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

So just got back from using my PowerFly Holders (along with the Fly-TI steel) for the first time. One thing I didn't realize is that it seems length of the PowerFlys are shorter than the outgoing LS Trigger TUUKs. With my first pair of True SVH Customs, I had to drop down to the 280mm TUUKs to have the holders fit underneath the boot appropriately. With the PowerFlys though, I'm back to a 288mm holder (which is the size I've used for probably 12 of the 13 years of me wearing the stripes). This is alone was worth the "upgrade" in Bauer holders.

The posts may be a bit shorter but the actual holder for tht steel should be the same length since 288mm steel is 288mm, no?

21 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

The posts may be a bit shorter but the actual holder for tht steel should be the same length since 288mm steel is 288mm, no?

Correct. It's a "like for like" replacement with the CCM XS and LS Edge. You can literally pop off an LS Edge holder and swap a PowerFly on if you want. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Yes. The posts are the same but for me to use the 288mm TUUKs with my first pair of SVHs, the front end of the holder would've extended past the front end of the boot (if that makes any sense).   

5 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Yes. The posts are the same but for me to use the 288mm TUUKs with my first pair of SVHs, the front end of the holder would've extended past the front end of the boot (if that makes any sense).   

It does make sense. Essentially the mounting area is a different size, ie, the edge holders have a larger (or longer) mounting area vs the powerfly.