Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Bauer Vapor XXX

Bauer Vapor XXX

Size: 9

Width: EE

Reviewer Background: 5'11" 175 fairly wide foot, medium arch, narrow heel, wear polypropylene(sp) sock liners

Introduction

While growing up, I spent many years wearing bauer skates, but as I grew older, I switched a couple times. First to Easton, then to Graf, and after having problems with these skates, I made the decision to return to Bauer. I just came from a pair of XX's that i had for a year and a half, and so far the XXX's are better in every aspect.

Fit

The fit of these skates is almost perfect for my foot. Coming from the XX's which I loved so much, I figured that these would fit almost exactly the same. I don't like having my skates tied too tight, I usually tie them quite loosely, but even with this, there is little movement which is great. It seems like the new liner really helps hold my foot in place as well.

Score: 10/10

Blade/Holder

First off, I was not the least bit impressed when I first got my skates, and found out that the LS2's mounted on my skates were warped and crooked. It was not a good start, but I took them back to my LHS and had them re-mounted and from then until now I have not had any more problems. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the original LightSpeed's and the LS2's. The perforated sections in the new steel seem to be smaller, I'm guessing this is to try and add to their durability seeing as how the old steel would break almost immediately. One thing they eliminated with the LS2's is there is no longer a need for an allen wrench, according to Bauer that is. I don't really like this seeing as how with the XX's it wasn't too hard to replace a blade yourself if one happened to break during a game, but now, it is not possible to do that. I haven't really taken a good look at the new system.

Score: 5/10 due to the one being warped

9/10 if they were not

Weight

Coming from XX's, the weight difference is not easily noticeable, but there is definately a difference. Extremely light skate and I'm not sure if I would want anything lighter.

Protection

The protection in these skates seems to be quite good. I am a defenceman and block multiple shots a game, and so far I have not had many problems. There was one that left a good bruise and my ankle swelled up a bit, but that was more due to the fact that my shin pads were too short, as the puck hit right underneath the bottom, and just on the side of the tongue where there is probably the least amount of protection. Other than that, they are great, they were very stiff when I first got them, and they are holding their stiffness quite well.

Durability

I am very surprised as to how well these are holding up. After hearing many complaints about the durability of the XX's, and experiencing it first hand, I was quite pleased with the durability of the XXX's. I usually skate 5 times a week, for about 2 hours. I have had these skates for around a month, and so far there are no major problems. There is only one cut on one of the boots, but the toes are holding up very well, as well as the liner.

Score: 9/10

Conclusion

Come from XX's, I was expecting a lot from the XXX's and they didn't disappoint. So far, they are better than the XX's in every way, and I am very pleased with them. I would recommend these skates to anyone considering buying a pair. They are the best skates I have ever worn, and I'm hoping for them to last me a couple years.

Overall: 9.5/10

Reviewer's Stats

5'9 170

Used about 6 times a week.

Introduction - As you guys know, I've used just about everything under the sun, and I couldn't resist an opportunity to try at Bauer's latest and greatest for a very generous price. I picked up a 6.5d, same size as my 8090s and a half size down from my 7d XX's.

Fit - All I have to say about the initial fit is...ouch! These things absolutely killed my feet at first despite feeling quite sweet in the shop. Once I punched the forfoot out, they began to feel much, much better. This is obviously subjective, and if a Vapor XX fit you without problems, the XXX should be as good, if not better. 6/10 (Personal Preference.

Blade/Holder - I have grown to love the Lightspeed, and the LS2 is easily the best version of the holder. I find the steel holds an edge slightly longer, and the new hardware makes maintenance that much easier. 10/10

Weight - It doesn't get lighter than this, but that doesn't necessarily mean thats a good thing... 10/10.

Protection - The ultra stiff quarters make for an extremely protective boot. I've taken a multitude of shots and passes of the boot, and can't feel a thing. 10/10

Durability - What Happened??? After about a month and a half of skating, they are completely shot. My New Balances have more stiffness. Stitching is falling out, the outsole is becoming disconected from the boot. At an MSRP of $450 US, I'd expect a little bit more than 45 days of life out of the boot. (2/10)

Conclusion - I am already out of these and back into my 8090s. The awful durability, combined with the fact that the boot isn't that much different than the XX outside of the new liner, doesn't warant the price of admission.

Overall 7/10

Bauer Vapor XXX

Size: 7.0 D

Height: 5"11

Weight: 200 lbs

Feet: Flat and wide, narrow heel, put orthotics in skate

Stance: Bowlegged, very pronated

Introduction:

I have used CCMs, Bauer Supremes and Mission skates. I was planning on buying Graf G3's but saw the Vapor XXXs that just came in that day, tried them on, and knew I had to buy them. I have been using them since December and I have had no complaints since then.

Fit:

After a very short bake time the skates were heat molded to my foot and fit very well. Unlike my old Bauer Supremes 7000s ('02 model) which destroyed my feet for a month these fit quite well from the start. The liner is excellent and fits your foot comfortably and securely. (8/10)

Blades and Holder:

The Tuuk Lightspeed 2's are the finest blades and chassis I have ever skated on. The quality of the steel is excellent, it keeps its edge very long, and is extremely responsive. I noticed an instant improvement in my stopping, transitions, and turning. However, sometimes when I am turning hard or stopping suddenly I can almost feel the blade warping a little. I am guessing it is because of the perforated steel. (8/10)

Weight:

This skate weighs almost as much as a sneaker. You can barely feel them on.

(10/10)

Protection:

I block a lot of shots with my feet and I am pretty hard on my skates. First game I wore the XXX's the defensemen on the other team decided to hack my feet with their sticks. I did not feel anything. (9/10)

Durability:

This was the Achille's heel of the Vapor XX. So far my Vapor XXX's have held up well and it has been obviously reinforced in key areas. The only area of concern are the sides of the skate, the grey areas. A few stitches are coming off in those areas and puck marks are clearly visible. The blemishes are purely cosmetic and have not affected the skates' performance in any way. Despite initial concerns these skates have held up quite well. I skate 4 times a week for 2 hours at a time. (8/10)

Conlusion:

These are undoubtedly the best performing skates I have ever worn. I noted immediate improvements in acceleration, turning, and responsiveness. The infamous epinions review was obviously way off the mark and that guy has no clue what he is talking about. From what I hear the only skate in the same league as the XXX are the Vector Pro and Supreme 8090.

Overall:

(9/10)

Follow up on the Bauer XXX skates review

I have been using them for about half a year now about 2-3 times a week for adult league games.

The sides look a bit dirty and the stiches are fraying. Cosmetically the gray side areas do not look so well.

These blemishes do not effect the performance of the skate at all. They still perform extremely well and have held up quite well. I would recommend them to anyone. Kudos to Bauer for finally making a skate that gives top notch performance without making me scream in pain. Once Bauer replaces the sides with better material they will have a perfect skate (though I have not used a Vector Pro yet and I heard those are pretty good).

Bauer Vapor XXX

Size: 11 D

Height: 6'1

Weight: 169

Used: 3 Months, 3-4 times a week

Introduction

Purchased these skates back in July not knowing what really to expect after coming from CCM Skates with t'blades. Have used Vapor 8's, 4's and Supreme 5000's previously and loved them. My last few skates i had i used t'blades, So i figured i'd put them on my XXX's when i found them for such a good price. But i didnt and im in love with them!

Fit

When i first put these on to get them baked i loved the fit of them, very comfortable, but im glad i put them on in a hockey camp before games because man did my feet ever hurt after the first few ice times. Just certain pressure points on my feet, you could see big red marks. But overall after wearing them for 3 months i find comfortable. 8/10

Blade/Holder

Well coming from 2 seasons of t'blade i wasnt quite sure of what to expect with the lightspeeds. I heard nothing but good things about the lightspeeds from what people told me and reviews i've read. Were they right! I have so much more power, and the edge stays much longer! By far the best chassis/blade set i've used. 9/10

Weight

Tell me when you find a skate lighter than this please. 10/10

Protection

Well after feeling how light these skates were i was kind of iffy about the protection they offer as i play defence and block many shots. I've taken numerous slap shots of the sides of the foot and even the laces. I havent felt a thing, couldnt ask for better protection. 10/10

Durability

Well after 3 months of Midget AAA hockey, these skates are holding together pretty damn well. Obviously the holders are starting to show obvious signs of wear as i take numerous shots off them and battling along the boards. Other than that just the toe has a fray, but nothing major. 9/10

Conclusion

No questions asked, they are by far the best skate i've ever worn. I dont see myself skating in anything but bauer for awhile anyway!

Overall: 9.5/10

Size: 9 EE

Height: 6'

Weight: 180

Used: 9 Months, 6 days a week

Introduction:

I had only used CCM's up until the Vapor XXX's came out. I did extensive research on them on both the internet and at my LHS. I did not find one bad thing that would cause me not to switch to these skates. I tried them on once and knew these skates were for me. I have no plans of ever buying another skate other than the XXX.

Fit:

The skates broke in almost immediately, definitely the shortest break in time I've ever experienced. I bought them 2 hours before a game without baking them and my playing actually improved. I find them to be just as comfortable as normal shoes. (8/10)

Blades and Holder:

The Tuuk LS2 holder and blade are the finest I've ever skated on. The stiffness and overall appeal of the holder has caused many of my teammates to replace their current holders with them. Though I had a minor issue with the holders coming unaligned with the boot, I have already ordered another pair. For the blade the LS2 steel had only lasted 8 months. The perforated blade may not be neccessary to maintain the weight of the boot, and it may present a problem with the constant snapping of blades. (9/10)

Weight:

This is without doubt the lightest skate on the market. Normally when a product is at a very light weight, something in the product is sacrificed, however in this skate nothing is. It's as if Bauer has found the perfect combination of weight, stiffness, protection and durability.

(10/10)

Protection:

I play defense and have no problem blocking a shot. The only time I have ever felt pain wearing these skates was when I took a shot right on the tongue. At this weight it is unbelievable the amount of protection the XXX offers. (10/10)

Durability:

The Durability of these skates may be one of the only faults I have found in the Vapor XXX. Considering I have skate six days a week this is not bad for the XXX's. However, two weeks ago i noticed that the rivvets(or however you spell it) had busted through the side of my holder and my holder was at an odd angle. This is a minor problem considering the holders were pretty torn up anyways. Other things I noticed was the toe was tearnig and sweat stains and rust on the bottom of my boot, but overall the durability is great. (9/10)

Conlusion:

Before the XXX's I had only used CCM's and now I have no intentions of leaving Bauer. I firmly believe that at this moment the Vapor XXX's are the best skate on the market. These skates have minor flaws and are the perfect skate for any avid hockey player.

Overall:

(9/10)

Bauer Vapor XXX

Ht: 5'2"

Wt: 110 lbs

Feet: Big ankles, Big bone sticking out on the top of my foot and collapsing arches :blink:

Introduction:

A while back I bought a pair of Bauer Vapor V as recreational skates and loved the fit. After using Graf 705 (comfy but boot was too soft), another pair of 705 (killed my feet had to sell them) and Rbk 5k Pumps (destoyed my ankles) which all caused substantial pain, I decided to go back to Bauers

Intangibles

These are the best looking skates out there IMO even nicer than the One90s and new XXXXs. Bauer did a great job on the overall look of the skate which revamps the already good looking XXs. I also love the hydrophobic liner and despite my feet sweating a lot my skates don't smell all that bad....IMO :lol:

Fit

As soon as I put the skates on they felt perfect. They had Graf comfort with a boot that had perfect stiffness. I have large outside ankle bones (which oddly plagued me with the Pumps???) and I was delighted when these skates put no pressure on them. My only issue was the hard plastic in the tongue which put pressure on the affore mentioned

foot bone but it was bearable and I soon forgot about it.

Blade/Holder

I had grown used to the Tuuk Custom +, E-Pro and Cobra holders and I loved the forward pitch of the LS2s. I've heard all about problems with the LS2 but so far (knock on wood) mine have been awesome, just a few puck marks. The steel stays sharp for a while so I can't complain. The forward pitch really helps to give me a more solid stance and stride.

Protection

Overall the protection of these skates is pretty good. Slashes and shots cause minimal pain but no skate can stop eveything without being 300lbs. My only problem occurred when a slapshot hit me on the inside of my heel (see picture) and after my foot buckled I realised it had hit a nerve and given me dead foot (it felt like hitting your funny bone but it didnt go away for 2-3 days) making playing the rest of the game a little tricky...walking was too.

Photo210.jpg

Durability

These skates have held up superbly only minor scrapes on the holders and a couple on the boots. As I said before I have had no spontaneous explosion of my LS2s and these guys will hold up a quite bit longer.

Conclusion

Overall the lighness and perfect pitch of the skate have seemingly given me a much more powerful and solid stride and stance (I guess better technique too....). Unless I can find something incredible I will probably buy these skates again and I won't make the mistake of "experimentation" with the unknown without being 100% sure of comfort. These are definetely the best I've ever worn and would highly recommend them despite my dead foot issue...stupid feet <_<

Overall: 9.3/10