Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canhockey7

What kind of golf clubs do you use?

If you are looking for a club between your driver and 4 iron, you might want to try a hybrid. Some companies only offer the traditional hybrid (looks like a mini wood), while other companies offer hybrids that look like bulky irons. Ping makes both the i15 and G15 hybrids that you might want to try (maybe like a 17 or 19 degree which would be equivalent to a 2 iron and 3 iron respectively). I cannot hit a fairway wood to save my life, but have a lot of fun with my longer hybrids (2, 3, 4).

I've tried four or five hybrids and not had any luck with them. Then again, most courses around here aren't so long that I can't get on in regulation. My 4 iron is good for 230 or so, I really don't have much use for a club between my driver and 4 iron.

I've had the same issue with hybrids. I've always hit my 3-iron in the 250-260 range and pretty straight, but when I got fitted for clubs a while back the guy convinced me to give a hybrid a go. Worst mistake I ever made, I couldn't hit that thing in the fairway if my life depended on it. Took that thing back, got my 3-iron back and am back to splitting fairways with it (usually).

hahaha Im in the same boat as you guys. I have some real difficulty hitting my 3-wood with consistency. Give me a long iron and no issues whatsoever. I took a lesson two seasons ago and the pro felt my grip was way too weak. During the lesson I was hitting the fairway wood really well. Once out on the course I couldn't duplicate the grip and it threw my whole game off. It just felt so awkward. SHould have followed up with more lessons, but I just didn't have time. I've also tried hybrids and I hate them.

hahaha Im in the same boat as you guys. I have some real difficulty hitting my 3-wood with consistency. Give me a long iron and no issues whatsoever. I took a lesson two seasons ago and the pro felt my grip was way too weak. During the lesson I was hitting the fairway wood really well. Once out on the course I couldn't duplicate the grip and it threw my whole game off. It just felt so awkward. SHould have followed up with more lessons, but I just didn't have time. I've also tried hybrids and I hate them.

I took my first official lesson after I broke into the 70s for the first time. The guy tried to change my swing completely and have me use the textbook perfect swing. I was a mess for months and still haven't gotten my game back to where it was back then.

Driver - TaylorMade R9 motore shaft stiff

3 wood - TaylorMade R9 motore shaft stiff

5 wood - TaylorMade R9 motore shaft stiff

Hybrid - Adams Pro Black hybrid 3 & 4 Voodoo shaft stiff

Irons - Titleist AP2 5-W Nippon shaft stiff

52 Wedge - Taylor Made XFT 9 deg bounce KBS wedge shaft

58 Wedge - Taylor Made XFT 9 deg bounce KBS wedge shaft

Putter - Scotty Cameron Big Sur, Odyssey 2 ball long or Ping B90

Ball - Titleist Pro V1x

I took my first official lesson after I broke into the 70s for the first time. The guy tried to change my swing completely and have me use the textbook perfect swing. I was a mess for months and still haven't gotten my game back to where it was back then.

Ouch. Yeah if you were already playing in the 70's and I was the pro I would have just said keep doing what your doing and just play more hahaha. Cleary your were doing something right and you were consistent enough to allow you to shoot that low. We would all love to have th epicture perfect swing, but if your not planing on playing golf competitively and your swing is consistent then thats good enough.

Unfortunately, I have been able to play much the last two seasons. But after that lesson I went out with my brother-in-law and these two other guys. I struggled so bad that my game went to crap. I was trying to get this grip down and then going back to my old one. But what really did it was the fact that all three of them...while Im just shanking everything left and right...shot between 72 and 75. It got so absurd at one point that this one guy (who had one of the worst swings I have ever seen) lines up his tee shot on a par 3, sun in his eyes, hits his shot and immediately turns around and screams hole-in-one. His ball came to rest, I kid you not, 2 inches from the cup. We were all on the ground. From that point on I couldnt even focus because I knew my game was going to hell and these guys were ripping me a new one. I didnt play for the rest of the summer that year...I know pathetic, but I just had never played that poorly and really didnt want to waste money on a repeat day.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher w/ProForce Blue Stiff shaft 10.5*

5 Wood: Nike SQ stiff shaft

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 3 stiff shaft

Irons: Titleist AP1 Regular shaft

Wedges: TaylorMade RAC 54*, 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select

Balls: Titleist Pro V1

I started taking GolfTec lessons after I played TPC Sawgrass the first time, had a hole in one on the Valley Course (not the one with the infamous island green on 17) and still shot a 99. I did play the Stadium course though. first time i played had two in the drink before putting one to about 10 feet, second time i put one in the water then one to the Sunday pin placement.......unfortunately the flag was no where near the Sunday pin placement. I took lessons inbetween my first and second times playing Sawgrass. They were informative and got me to have a more consistent swing, they just havent gotten me to scoring well, so I might try doing one of these week long clinics. Anyone ever done those?

Only golfed once in the last ten years.

I have some senior flex clubs I bought about 15 years ago...no clue what they are but they were cheap. One or two of them broke. Fairway woods are from this $100 starter set I bought a few years earlier. Putter is a nice Odyssey, when they first came out with that half moon sized head...not that it helped me anyway. Driver was a $40 POS I bought from Sam's Club, again, 15 years ago.

I actually used to drive the ball really far and straight when I was a youngin. I was using a $20 driver from Sam's Club, and when I'd go out with my friends' dads, they all used to look at me funny. That was about the only thing I could do well.

Going to try and get out a few times this year though. If it's like anything else and I take it too seriously, I'll drop way too much time and money into it.

Driver - TaylorMade R9 motore shaft stiff

3 wood - TaylorMade R9 motore shaft stiff

5 wood - TaylorMade R9 motore shaft stiff

Hybrid - Callaway X hybrid 3 & 4

Irons - Titleist AP2 5-W Nippon shaft stiff

52 Wedge - Callaway X-tour vintage

60 Wedge - Callaway X-tour vintage bent to 58 and added enhanced c-grind

Putter - Odyssey 2 ball long

Ball - Bridgestone RX330 or Pro V1x

Nice bag, I love the B330 RX. That is a great ball.

My bag

Driver- Taylormade R9 Supertri

3 Wood- TM R9

Hybrid- TM CGB R7 19*, Burner Rescue 22* & 25*

Irons- TM CGB R7 6-PW

Wedges- Cleveland CG14 48* and CG15 56* & 60*

Putter- SeeMore SB-1

Ball- Bridgestone B330 RX

Nice bag, I love the B330 RX. That is a great ball.

My bag

Driver- Taylormade R9 Supertri

3 Wood- TM R9

Hybrid- TM CGB R7 19*, Burner Rescue 22* & 25*

Irons- TM CGB R7 6-PW

Wedges- Cleveland CG14 48* and CG15 56* & 60*

Putter- SeeMore SB-1

Ball- Bridgestone B330 RX

How do you like the Supertri? I've been looking at new drivers.

How do you like the Supertri? I've been looking at new drivers.

Ive only had a few rounds on it so far but Im liking it. Im coming from the Cobra L5V which I thought sucked. I fight a power fade(err slice) and it seems to be controling it a little. Im still fading it but they are finding the fairway more and with more roll out. It reminds me of my old R7 quad. Im going to try and play 9 after work so well see how it goes.

My bag:

Driver: Ping G10 9* stiff

3 Wood: Ping G5 15* stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 19* stiff

Irons: Cobra Forged CB stiff steel +1 length

Wedges: Ben Hogan Apex/Riviera 52*, 56*, 60* +1 length

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless

Ball: Anything i pull out of my bag.

Any got wedges for sale? I really need some.

Update

Driver: Titleist 909 D-Comp, 9.5*

5-Wood: Taylor Made SuperSteel (old Bubble shaft)

Irons: Titleist 690MBs (2-PW)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52* (Oil Can), Titleist Vokey 56* (Oil Can, Spin Milled)

Gloves: Nike Dri-Fit Tour

Balls: Nike One Tour

Bag: Nike Sasquatch Tour (stand) (working on getting myself a Titleist Japan Tour bag)

Putter: Just got the new Nike Method 001 a few weeks ago. WOW. It's taking me a little while to get completely comfortable with (my distance is still a bit off), but the feel and the roll is incredible. Night/Day from their offerings in the past. From what I'm being told by one of the "elite" instructors in the area, Nike has "recruited" some of the design teams/engineers from other companies (one in particular) and some of the new stuff that they're developing is going to be very, very, VERY good.

My bag, though it tends to change from time to time:

Taylormade SUPERDEEP 9.5* - Motore F1 65

Nike Ignite T60 13* - Vista Pro 70

Taylormade r7 TP 17.5* - Vista Pro 80

Taylormade 300 forged 3 - PW - Rifle Flighted Precision steel

Taylormade RAC TP Black 54*

Nike Victory Red 60*

My gamer putter is usually a Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two or an old Cleveland Milled TA-1 long neck. The long neck is a fun putter, very rare, and very soft feel, as it was milled from carbon steel.

Ball is either the Wilson Staff FG:Tour or the Bridgestone B330S. I have a big pocket of prov1's that I've found around my course too that I'll start pulling from if I'm having an off day.

Depending on the courses length or physical characteristics, I'll play with my bag. Weather also affects it. Sometimes, if it's a shorter course or there are big greens, I like to drop my r7 and play a 2 iron. If it has a lot of short par 4's or long par 3's I put into play a diablo edge tour 3 hybrid that I can hit down on really hard and just spin the crap out of it and usually bounce it right in front of the green and keep it on, or hit through it a bit and setup a really nice chip shot with my 54*. I usually drop down to a 4-pw setup then. Sometimes, I'll also do a driver-3w-3h wood setup, and then 4-pw and 3 wedges, if it's the type of course that I feel my gaps don't fit. When this is the case, I play a 52* Taylormade RAC TP gap wedge, a 56* Callaway x-forged sand wedge with mac daddy grooves (spin factory), and the vr 60*. For all of my wedges but my 52*, I play between 10-12* bounce.

The shaft on my driver still isn't right though. I think eventually I'm going to just throw a whiteboard in it, as I have always loved the feel of the whiteboard and the new ahina.

If you can't tell, I'm a golf nerd. :)

Driver: Taylormade R9 10.5*

Fairwaywood: Mizuno F-50 15*

Hybrid: Mizuno CLK Fli-Hi 17*

Irons: Mizuno MP-32 3-PW

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R 52* MP T-10 56*

Putter: Cleveland Classic 2

Man, all the stuff is in the closet, haven't touched it in years. I Would probably go out if it wasn't so damn cold!

Driver: Ping TiSi 10

Fairwaywood: Callaway Big Bertha Warbird

Irons: Taylormade Firesole w/ bubble shaft

Wedge: Wilson Fatshaft

Putter: Odyssey original whitehot

For balls I tend to prefer using women's :<

So my current gof bag is full of mismatched clubs. I was really thinking of getting a new set.

What can you pros recommend on finding a good set, or price range of one. Also what set is the best bet to go for?

thx

Ok, thought I might as well post what im swinging

Driver: TM r9 9.5* with stiff shaft or Callaway HyperX 10* with regular shaft

3 wood: TM Burner with stiff shaft

Hybrids: TM Burner 3 hybrid and Nickent 4 hybrid

Irons:

TM tour preffered 3 iron

TM Tour Burner 4-SW

Wedge: Titleist Vockey 60*

Putter: Cleaveland Classic

Ball: Whatever I find around the course or TM Burners or Titleist NXT

ANd puckhoggy: I love the newer Taylor Made irons, i hit Burner Tours which can be found pretty cheap now. The standard Burners were alittle bulky for my preference, and alittle too forgiving with a really high flight. Callaway has some older irons on sale too. I've always loved the feel of taylormade woods, but the newer cobra clubs feel good too. It really depends on what ballflight you want, forgivness, and budget! Try to go to a local driving range with demo clubs and see what you like the most.

Go find a good club fitter and spend the 30 bucks to find out what is best for you.

Once you know, aka shaft flex, what shaft, type of clubs, and even brand, you can price shop wherever you want, and you can get the best deal. Club fitting with a good fitter (I stress good) will also get your proper specs set for how you swing. Aka, the proper bend on your irons, as well as length, strength of lofts and grip size.

I'm a big golfer when i'm not in hockey season anymore and taking every opportunity i have to play while i'm still young (17 now)

I usually golf 4-5 times a week during summer which is great, but my clubs tend to change a lot from a lot of use lol.

Driver: Ping I15 w/ Aldilla Voodoo shaft

3 wood: KZG Custom w/ Matrix shaft

Hybrids: Nickent 3 Hybrid

Irons:Ping S58

Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60*

Taylormade Zgroove 56*

Cleveland CG14 52*

Putter: Ping I series Craz-E

Ball: Usually Pro V1x or Srixon Z-Star

love the sport

just got snakeyes 600b 3-pw rifle 6.0 shafts there a really nice blade for the buck

2 cleveland 588's 54 60

driver: titleist 983k speeder love it Ive had 2

3 wood: taylor made v steel w rifle upgrade, got a callaway steel head rarely use it

walter hagen pro putter cut super short, I have cleveland ta7 tour irons but am going to give the blades some time

I use prov1x I buy them used through ebay under a buck a ball, use used nike super soft when its crappy out

really need some new wedges thinking vokeys looking for a winter deal on ebay

Just added a couple of Nickent ARC wedges (60 and 62). My buddy also got me a Rip Tide 70 degree wedge for Xmas to mess around with. He labeled the packaging "SFW" for Super Frustration Wedge. I'm pretty bad, and I think that experimenting with that thing is going to cost me a lot of strokes. Has anyone else tried a 70 degree wedge, or something similar?

Driver: Cleveland HiBore

Woods: Cleveland Launcher 3 wood 15*

Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher 18*

Irons: Taylormade R7s

Wedges: Cleveland 588 64*, CG12 56*, and CG12 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron Laguna, and a Scotty Cameron Futura

last few years Ive been going back and forth with the two.

Balls: Bridgestone B330

64 degree wedge gets used for messing around and thats it, a 70 degree wedge seems ridiculous to me lol. I don't think I could hit it.

So my current gof bag is full of mismatched clubs. I was really thinking of getting a new set.

What can you pros recommend on finding a good set, or price range of one. Also what set is the best bet to go for?

thx

I recommend finding a deal on like last years model. I bought my Taylormades once the new ones came out and got a good deal. Heres a few good deals

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/12872/refScid/1541

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/8556/refScid/1541

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/11796/refScid/1092/sattr0/Gender/sattrVal0/mens

for like Drivers I would look on ebay for last years models usually going for real cheap. Putter is most important and you can find some Odyssey ones which are good putters for a good price.

Driver: Nike SQ Dymo

Woods: Nike SQ Dymo 15* 3-wood

Irons: Nike Slingshot +2* lie

Putter: Nike Ignite 2

Havent hit em yet, as i have been piecing the set together since christmas. Should be a huge difference from my 10 year old WalMart set ive had.

Ive also toyed around with niblicks, and chipping putters. Cant wait for a lil warmer weather!