Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canhockey7

What kind of golf clubs do you use?

Driver: Ping g15 12* loft stiff shaft. Helps compensate for my natural low ball flight

3 wood: 3 yr old burner stiff shaft

Hybrids: Burner2 3 hybrid stiff, Nickent 4 hybrid regular

Irons: Taylormade TP 3 iron stiff steel, Taylormade Tour Burner 4-SW stiff steel.

Wedge: 60* Titleist Vokey

Putter: Cleveland Classic 1

Ball: Nike One Vapor or Titleist NXT Tour.

If I play in a tournament I take the 3 iron out. When its in it just collects dust.

Driver Taylormade Superfast TP 9.5* with Oban 6 Devotion 04 flex (stiff) tipped .5"

3w Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* with Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 73gm S flex tipped 1"

5w Taylormade r7 TP 17.5* with Fujikura Vista Pro 80 stiff

3h Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 21* with Matrix Ozik Altus stiff flex

4-PW JDM R9 TP Forged with Project X 5.5's

54* Srixon WG-706 12* bounce (SW) with s300

60* Nike VR Forged 8* bounce (LW) with s300

Putter There are many, but my main gamer is a Cleveland T/A Milled 2 34" 5* loft 70* lie

Ball I try to play one but I always manage to find "the next best thing" :rolleyes: Right now it's the Penta though.

Really don't play a 3 iron anymore, just doesn't work into the distance gaps. I do however bring out a 2i though when it's too windy or on certain courses (links style basically) or if I'm not hitting my hybrid well (I hit irons better then hybrids.... :ph34r:) and also have a hybrid waiting to be compared to my DET. It's a Cleveland DST Tour 3h with a diamana thump in it. I think I'll just end up putting the thump in my DET, but we'll see. I love golf...... :wub:

Pics!

925502c1.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

The Burner 2.0 three woods are awesome! Such good feel, and a nice poppy feel off the club.

My swing is terrible right now. My irons are coming off extremely well, with a nice ball flight, but I've lost all confidence in my woods. Im not lagging my swing at the top properly, coming in flat, and just hitting a gross low hard draw.

Club update: my vokey wedge got stolen, so I'm playing with a sort of rusted alien 60* with 7* of bounce. I'm actually liking it, but I lost some distance and accuracy with full shots compared to my vokey.

Did you make the post on GWRX? If so that is BS dude. I feel for you, if I had an extra LW I'd honestly mail it out no questions asked. Really people who steal clubs are just ignorant. I'm really paranoid any time I'm out on a range or in a situation that involves people who I don't know. My bag is actually put together pretty economically. I didn't pay full price for anything, either getting it through trade or at a discount etc. so replacing it would be way more expensive then what I paid.

I actually just got a new bag too... :facepalm: Guy had a TMX bag for sale for a ridiculously cheap price and my pop needed a new bag, and my Nike bag is still in perfect condition (and he really likes it). So I'm giving him that one and putting the TMX in play. Got it today, man is it nice. A little heavier but makes up for it with a much better strap system, both ergonomically and comfortably.

No, that wasn't me. I was playing a super fun course, had an awesome day, and ended up shooting my first 79. I went into the clubhouse to eat, and when I came out it was gone. Such a terrible way to end such an awesome day!

I have an old Hogan forged 60 degree and an Armor Evo cast 59 degree if you need a decent lob. Both are in excellent condition. I may even have a couple more, I will check when I get home.

Haha thanks for the offer Chadd! And thank you too Chappie! I'm fine for now, the wedge I have now is fine for me. I don't play full shots with it often, and its helped me learn how to control distance better with my 54.

I'll let you know though, because I did take a look at it when I got home and it looks like there's a small crack in the shaft. I'm playing tomorrow, if it breaks ill be sure to shoot you a pm! :)

Some people are putter guys, I'm a wedge guy. I have more wedges laying around the house than most sane people have in total clubs. Ever since I got my Ping tour wedges a couple years ago, I haven't even flirted with any of the others.

I was given a set of Callaway Diablo Forged Irons 4-pw KBS Steel shafts. I finally caved and replaced my MP14's. I use an R9 driver, no 3 wood at the moment, cleveland rtg 588 56*, Titleist vokey 60*, and a cameron newport 1.5 putter.

Hi everyone,

Could you experienced lot give me some advice on buying some "middle of the road" standard clubs? I've played before when I was in high school but I'd still say I'm currently a complete beginner.

Mainly I'm not sure if I should just get a complete "package" or buy my clubs separately?

I want some clubs that I'll be able to use for a little while, as I hopefully progress and get better (i.e. not bargain basetment crap), but I don't want to spend mega-bucks in-case I don't stick with it.

If it's any help, I'm 100kg and get full use out of 95-100 flex hockey sticks haha! (I'm not if it translates at all.. but there you go!)

Also, if anyone knows any forums that are golf specific that would be great, although I'm concerned from the outset that my gear obsession could carry over from MSH.. :laugh:

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Could you experienced lot give me some advice on buying some "middle of the road" standard clubs? I've played before when I was in high school but I'd still say I'm currently a complete beginner.

Mainly I'm not sure if I should just get a complete "package" or buy my clubs separately?

I want some clubs that I'll be able to use for a little while, as I hopefully progress and get better (i.e. not bargain basetment crap), but I don't want to spend mega-bucks in-case I don't stick with it.

If it's any help, I'm 100kg and get full use out of 95-100 flex hockey sticks haha! (I'm not if it translates at all.. but there you go!)

Also, if anyone knows any forums that are golf specific that would be great, although I'm concerned from the outset that my gear obsession could carry over from MSH.. :laugh:

Thanks!

Your weight doesn't matter when it comes to shaft stiffness, it's your swing speed that should make that determination.

Driver:Taylormade Burner

5 Wood: Taylormade Burner

22* Rescue: Taylormade Burner

Irons: You guessed it Taylormade Burner

Wedges: Cleveland CG15

Putter: Taylormade Rossa

Thanks Chadd, any more newbie-friendly tips would be appreciated! Like I say, my golf knowledge is pretty much ZERO!

Ive had great experiences with Taylormade, so that is what I would recommend. Any model of burner irons can be found pretty cheap, along with burner woods. Great feel, great forgiveness. 4 iron- sw would probably be best, you probably don't need a lob wedge. Driver, 5 wood, 4i-sw, putter. If you stick with it, all of the clubs will be plenty good, and you can just add onto the set.

Any other opinions?

Driver:Taylormade Superfast Burner 9 degree stiff shaft

3 Wood: Taylormade Burner 15 degree stuff shaft

Rescue: Taylormade Burner 18 degree stiff shaft

Irons: Callaway Diablo stiff shaft

Wedges: Scratch 54 and 58 degree

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback No. 1

Lost my wedge and broke my 3 Wood... so it goes like:

-Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS stiff

-Irons: Ping G10 4 to U

-Putter: Ping Anser 2

-Balls: Nike One tour D

-Bag: Ogio Decibel

Wath you guy think I should buy, hybrid, fairway wood or a wedge (got a Pitching wedge and a Utility wedge (I think it's like 54 degrees or so...))

Wath you guy think I should buy, hybrid, fairway wood or a wedge (got a Pitching wedge and a Utility wedge (I think it's like 54 degrees or so...))

I've always used forged wedges, but I really like the Ping Tour wedges I got a couple years ago. As for the wood/hybrids, I would suggest going out and trying some if you can.

Just got back from Golf Galaxy. Super Excited to get out on the course. here's my haul for the day:

• Callaway X-Series JAWS 60* , 8* bounce, satin finish.
  • Callaway RAZR X HL irons, 4-AW, steel shaft (and headcovers for them)
  • Callaway Org. 14 Sport cart bag.

now i just need to get some new shoes, and I can't wait to get back on the course!

I've always used forged wedges, but I really like the Ping Tour wedges I got a couple years ago. As for the wood/hybrids, I would suggest going out and trying some if you can.

That's the problem I have, I live too far from a place like Golf Town where you can go and try some gear. There's no place here I can have Ping stuff, got to go to Montréal (5-6 hour drive) to have my irons. But I was asking about what I should look for, a 3 or 5 wood or a 21 degrees hybrid. Because I build my house this summer, I only can afford one club (I don't want too cheap clubs, want big time quality). I see that you guy know a lot about golf (I play good but I don't know very much about those hybrids). By the way, I hit 220 with my 4th iron, maybe it could help for advice...

If you're only buying one, think about the course or courses that you play. I use my sand wedge a lot for short shots and chipping, I would be lost without it. I also went a fairly long period of time without a fairway wood or hybrid. I was able to do that because the courses I played were relatively short and even if I hit 4 Iron off the tee, I could still get on any par 4 in two. It did make some par 5s unreachable in two shots, but I was willing to make that trade-off. If you're playing longer courses, the wood or hybrid may be more important to you.

Just in general short clubs are going to be more important to you unless you're playing really long courses. Something on the order of 70% of your shots are within 100 yards of the green.

Just in general short clubs are going to be more important to you unless you're playing really long courses. Something on the order of 70% of your shots are within 100 yards of the green.

I agree but with two wedges already in the bag, it really comes down to how well he hits his driver and how frequently he ends up with 220+ yards to the green versus how much benefit another wedge would be. If the driver is a little wild, then a fairway wood would be the best option for him. If he's fairly consistent and ends up in the sand or on the short side of the green, then a lofted wedge would be a better option.

That's the problem I have, I live too far from a place like Golf Town where you can go and try some gear. There's no place here I can have Ping stuff, got to go to Montréal (5-6 hour drive) to have my irons. But I was asking about what I should look for, a 3 or 5 wood or a 21 degrees hybrid. Because I build my house this summer, I only can afford one club (I don't want too cheap clubs, want big time quality). I see that you guy know a lot about golf (I play good but I don't know very much about those hybrids). By the way, I hit 220 with my 4th iron, maybe it could help for advice...

The option to buy a 3 wood, 5 wood or a 21 degree hybrid should be based on what distance that you are trying to achieve. If you are looking to hit a club a little longer than your 4 iron, then perhaps a 19-21 degree hybrid might be best. If you are looking to hit a club further than that, then you may want to consider a fairway wood. A 3 wood technically would be a longer hitting club than a 5 wood, but then it depends on how clean your contact is with said club. If you flush a 3 wood, it could be almost as long as your driver. The 5 wood should be shorter than a 3 wood, but a 5 wood will be more forgiving (more loft and a slightly shorter shaft which can help). You might also want to look at a 4 wood; it's a good compromise between a 3 wood and a 5 wood.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

When buying golf clubs, the nice part is that you never really have to get everything at the same time (unless your bag got stolen or all your clubs got destroyed). Irons, wedges and a putter will be more valuable in your bag, versus having the most modern day driver and/or fairway wood. You will use your irons, wedge and putter most likely on a majority of the holes on a given golf course; where as you may use your driver say a small handful of times. A lot of golf shops will have clearance clubs on sale; TaylorMade Burner 2.0 HP in steel should be running at $399.99. If that is a bit steep, you can look at NIke Ignite 3 irons that should be running at $299.99. When it comes to wedges there are usually better deals on the models that have the non-conforming grooves (basically they are discontinued). As far as putters you should be able to find some good deals at your local shop/store or even online. When getting a putter, make sure that you get a proper length and that the head style matches your swing style (face balanced putter: i.e. Odyssey 2-Ball is better for a straight back-straight through putter swing), while a toe weighted putter like a Ping Anser will work better if you have a slightly "arcing" swing. Unless you are really tall, most people should not be playing a 35" putter (or unless you have a bad back, knee or hip). Hopefully this is helpful, please let me know if you have any other questions.