Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

NCRHA Championships

The Lindenwood system (of waiting behind the net) was implemented by then-coach Derek Schaub. He has since moved on to coach their ice hockey team. The roller team is now coached by Ron Beilstein (an inline legend in the St. Louis area).

They teach the freshmen team this system from the very start. I really hate when LU guys use this system in house leagues whether they are teammates or opponents of mine. I'm not sure whether Koz was benched or not, but he is talented enough (as are most of the players) to play a more offensive style of hockey. If I'm the losing team, I'd rather get smoked 10-0 than 1-0.

it seems a lot of elite east coast teams have started using this too, even the elite guys that play in house leagues. if you have smart forecheckers it's easy to break down, but you need TONS of puck support. as was said earlier, you will get caught here and there, but you will force more than your share of turnovers from it.

Like I said earlier..it is not exclusive to LU...the Tour Mudcats often did this as well...not to protect a lead so much, which is what many who see this do not understand, but to get the separation and or matchups that they want....hence they play a total puck control game simply looking for that one pass. Of course if you have the lead and can stay in control of the puck......you do not need to make that pass either.

In fairness, it is still up to the opponents to overcome the "system" although it often comes down to beating an individual "mano a mano"....This has been done successfully by other teams, but where there is outstanding talent which you must play two on one against, or one on one, and where that talent has consistantly destroyed you.....it's easy to be afraid to overcommit.

Although full contact hockey can certainly serve as a great "leveller" I have seen that sytem used successfully even in the full contact version of the sport.

I have watched C J Yoder of the Marple Gladiators play that way often in the full check MLRH league, and what's really frustrating, is to see him beat the checks of two forcing forwards and set up a 4 or 3 on 2. :(....He gets all the space he wants pretty soon.

Like I said earlier..it is not exclusive to LU...the Tour Mudcats often did this as well...not to protect a lead so much, which is what many who see this do not understand, but to get the separation and or matchups that they want....hence they play a total puck control game simply looking for that one pass. Of course if you have the lead and can stay in control of the puck......you do not need to make that pass either.

In fairness, it is still up to the opponents to overcome the system....this has been done successfully by other teams. And yes as Ljack said....it's a shame that full contact checking is not allowed....that's one way to overcome the situation.

As an aside I have watched C J Yoder play that way often in the full check MLRH league, and what's really frustrating, is to see him beat the checks of two forcing forwards and set up a 4 or 3 on 2. :(

haha yeah, after reading the first line...all I can think of is any CJ team...gladiators, typhoon, mudcats. if done right you either sucker a guy in and can beat him, reverse it up the boards, or let your forwards get seperation and hit them with speed. but when it's used just to blow time and sit behind the net knowing nobody will come towards you, contact or not, hits need to be thrown.

haha yeah, after reading the first line...all I can think of is any CJ team...gladiators, typhoon, mudcats. if done right you either sucker a guy in and can beat him, reverse it up the boards, or let your forwards get seperation and hit them with speed. but when it's used just to blow time and sit behind the net knowing nobody will come towards you, contact or not, hits need to be thrown.

You and Ljack are both right of course, as the most successfull teams against the Glads were usually the most physical.....but ya still have to hit the sucker...

That's pretty much what it comes down to, throwing the body on that guy so he shortens his thought process that second or so the next time in order to not get lit up. But CJ in major league for the most part didn't care about getting hit, harmer was about the only guy I ever saw really light him up.

It's a shame to see a team game turned into nothing more than trying to get the best one on one matchup you can. That's what killed the entertainment level of the NBA for me.