Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Modo22

Graf Skates

Hey guys I am looking at getting some Graf 703 or 707’s or 709’s. I see the epuck does not have them, is there a good site to get them at? Any suggestions between which ones you like and why?

Also, my LHS does not carry them at all, so I should I go about fitting them? I wear a 9 in CCM’s, does that convert to something in Graf or is it all about feel (I think I answered that one)

I really had my hart set on the Bauer XX’s, but after a month or two of talking and reading what you guys have to say I am going to go with the Graf’s.

JR,

I dont even know how to discribe my feet!? I guess you could say I have wide feet, but they are not huge. I had my heart set on the XX's until I saw that a couple of guys said that conversion from CCM's to Bauer's were pretty tough. And I even had a guy in my league confirm that. I had wanted Graf's for a long time before, but like i said could not try them on. I have never ordered skates online before. how do they usually handle skate returns? are they cool with it?

What if he has a really narrow, shallow foot? He'd be swimming in those skates.

I assumed that he'd tried the XX on, but decided that the durability was the problem.

Why are you so set on grafs though? For some reason I was enticed by them a month back, but when I got fitted, I tried on some 8090's, and V-12's. The guy, who my dad's friends with also said that the Graf's tend to rot out quickly. I also was recomended by other guys on my team that because of our warm rink, I'd feel like I was skating with cinderblocks on my feet by the end because of all the water build up.

What if he has a really narrow, shallow foot?  He'd be swimming in those skates.

What do you mean by swimming JR, do you mean the feet will be like that / \?

Big skate, small feet....

Sorry its been so long, but for 3 years now I have been using my cheap old CCM 352's!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have done everything from just taping them to my feet. It is time for new ones.

They fit great. not real tight around my feet, but I am not swiming in them. the heal and ankle surport are not there though.

I was interested in the XX's because of how light they are, and mine now are so heavy, but then learning of the durability over time did not make it seem worth $400. And I have also looked into the 8090's but agian as with Graf I have no way of trying them on because my LHS is junk.

if i'm not mistaken, the tacks fit fairly wide in the forefoot and are moderately deep rightt? if you're looking for support in terms of stiffness, i suggest you look at the 8090's, since they are a wide, deep fitting skate. they are also pretty stiff, and have been great durability wise.

Sorry its been so long, but for 3 years now I have been using my cheap old CCM 352's!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have done everything from just taping them to my feet. It is time for new ones.

They fit great. not real tight around my feet, but I am not swiming in them. the heal and ankle surport are not there though.

I was interested in the XX's because of how light they are, and mine now are so heavy, but then learning of the durability over time did not make it seem worth $400. And I have also looked into the 8090's but agian as with Graf I have no way of trying them on because my LHS is junk.

I am wearing 352's right now with the black prolite 3 holders. They fit awesome but a little heavy. I guess when you find a website like this, you feel like upgrading or when you see your friends wear new skates like the Bauer XXX or XX or XV. I went through the same phase of looking at new skates and looking at modsquad and such. Got my ebay favorites saved to the graf skates I like too. But ever since I heard about djinferno and another poster who bought from hockeygeeks about the bad quality of Graf skates, it has been a turn off for me. Now I am looking at the S400 or S500 from Mission. I haven't tried them on yet but I know of someone who wears old Mission skates but I can compare with those.

I guess I would just try out the Missions because they have the low cut boot and the forward pitch adjustment on their holders and ankle flex. Quite similar to Graf and I trust the quality on Missions than I do with Graf. Especially when Mission is going to have the stick deal in the summer when you buy a skate and get a free stick. Refer to this thread.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?showtopic=9844&st=0

Someone mentioned S500 skate at hockeygeeks for 269$ US. Good deal.

wow I wrote too much.

Have you tried on vectors or any of the newer tacks? I would stick with what you like, rather than trying to cross borders.

Actually if you look in the clearance or weekly special section, the 952's are 100US dollars and the bauer XV are the same but in limited sizes.

I would ask are you even remotely close to a city with better hockey stores? Trying on various brands of skates is a necessity if you want a good fit...NO ONE on this board can tell you what to buy (unless they were your twin brother). Look at posts from JR and Chadd...time and time again they're advising board members to try on skates and not go off of one persons advice. Grafs are not crap! Some people may think so, and for them maybe they were. You could find someone else that doesn't like Mission, CCM, or Bauer for some reason too. I went from Vapor 6s to 703s and couldn't be happier. If I were to go off what I read just on this board I would have bought S500s. I went to a store, tried them on, and they didn't feel good on MY foot. Certain CCMs don't feel good on MY foot. I really liked the 8090s, but the heel was too wide for MY foot. There is no substitute for being able to try on all the different brands.

Remember that EVERY company will ship a few bad units, thats the reality of it.

Do a dealer search on the ccm website or go to arenamaps.com, then call some places within a reasonable area of your house to find some selection. If you're happy with the CCM fit you may want to stay there. The new Pro tacks have a 30 day money back guaruntee if you don't like them. Is there any particular reason you "had your heart" set on grafs? If you can get to a dealer it is worth the time to find a skate that fits perfectly.

Trying on various brands of skates is a necessity if you want a good fit...NO ONE on this board can tell you what to buy (unless they were your twin brother). Look at posts from JR and Chadd...time and time again they're advising board members to try on skates and not go off of one persons advice

Thanks, I know that the only way to know if skates fit you right is to try them on. I would not go off of someone’s opinions and buy skates, but that is why I started this thread to see if there was any fitting conversions or anything because my LHS’s selection sucks. I will just have to go an hour of two to find a better store.

I did not have my heart set on Graf’s, I really had my heart set on XX’s but heard the conversion from CCM to Bauer was akiller, but what I really like about the Grafs was the forward pitch/lean it gave your feet. I have looked at the Vectors, but did not like them. I was just thinking of going with the 952’s or 1052’s mainly because they are at such a good price.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I thought I was closer to finally getting new skates, but damn it I am so much farther away than I was before. But buying new skates takes time and I really need to take that time!!!

I just really want a lighter skate. I really want a skate that will give me the feeling or having more control. Does that make sense?

What position and style do you play? How do you like to skate? Control can mean freedom of movement or stiff and supportive.

In my opinion the vapor line is not worth the money due to its durability issues. If you were interested in graf for its forward pitch you could always put cobra holders on your skates, or mission's pitch for adjustable levels.

Its always good to stick with what works unless there is a reason to look for a switch. If you're all about a light skate then you're narrowing your options and broadening your budget.

Thanks for the tip on Pro Tacks for $125. I happen to wear 6.5, and I've worn Tacks my entire career, so I guess it was my lucky day.

I feel bad for not getting them at my local pro shop, but at $125, geez, how could I pass that up?

Do I need to bake these or will they break in without baking? I'm not sure the pro shop will wanna bake them for me if the box says Hockey Giant.

What position and style do you play? How do you like to skate? Control can mean freedom of movement or stiff and supportive.

In my opinion the vapor line is not worth the money due to its durability issues. If you were interested in graf for its forward pitch you could always put cobra holders on your skates, or mission's pitch for adjustable levels.

Its always good to stick with what works unless there is a reason to look for a switch. If you're all about a light skate then you're narrowing your options and broadening your budget.

I play an agresive Center. I am always pressuring the puck. I guess I would describe freedom as surport. The budget does nt bother me as long as I find what I want. I having been looking for a better LHS since this thread started, and I think I found one. it is just pretty far away, and i wount be able to go until 3 weeks from now.

When you ask how do I like to skate, what do you mean?

Well by saying you're an aggressive center you pretty much answered the second question. You're on the balls of your feet trying to get to the puck or where its going to be.