Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nsabino

Heat Molding Skates

Hi, I just finished using the heat molding method, with a blowdryer, mentioned by a member on an earlier post. With regards to heating the boot the method works fine, I was able to heat the skates very well. I had one major drawback though. I had a pair of superfeet insoles and they shrinked... I'm wondering if it's o.k to use the original footbeds, they say CCM F.I.T. system on them, when heat molding the skates? Is here any footbed out there that's thermoformable? Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Nelson

I don't believe that there is one....for one specific reason. When "molding" your skates you should be sitting, and never standing, in your hot boots. That being said I don't think that there would be enough pressure on a footbed from just having your feet in there. In all of my skates I have the Shock Doctor footbeds and they have definately molded to my feet, without using heat.

With regards to using a hair dryer, I have talked to a CCM rep in the Detroit area about this and he highly does not recommend it. The main reason that he gave is that more than just the inside of the boot reacts to heat molding. The outer fibers of the skate will also soften, and aid in the ENTIRE BOOT, not just the soft interiors, molding to the foot of the user. The hair dryer will only heat the inside of the skate. He also said that the temperatures that you can get with different hair dryers are VERY inconsistent, and you could end up damaging your new skates. When speaking to him about using your home oven, and I detailed for him how you would do this.....he simply smiled and said....I can't recommend it, but it will do the same thing as their skate oven.

I don't believe that there is one....for one specific reason. When "molding" your skates you should be sitting, and never standing, in your hot boots. That being said I don't think that there would be enough pressure on a footbed from just having your feet in there. In all of my skates I have the Shock Doctor footbeds and they have definately molded to my feet, without using heat.

With regards to using a hair dryer, I have talked to a CCM rep in the Detroit area about this and he highly does not recommend it. The main reason that he gave is that more than just the inside of the boot reacts to heat molding. The outer fibers of the skate will also soften, and aid in the ENTIRE BOOT, not just the soft interiors, molding to the foot of the user. The hair dryer will only heat the inside of the skate. He also said that the temperatures that you can get with different hair dryers are VERY inconsistent, and you could end up damaging your new skates. When speaking to him about using your home oven, and I detailed for him how you would do this.....he simply smiled and said....I can't recommend it, but it will do the same thing as their skate oven.

thanks Spree.. With regards to the Shock Doctor FootBeds I'm wondering how they are in terms of arch support? Thaks always for the great help and time you give.

Sincerely,

Nelson

My right arch is weak and flexes a lot from a football injury I had years ago. With the Shock Doctors in my skates I rarely have any pain in my arch at all.

My right arch is weak and flexes a lot from a football injury I had years ago. With the Shock Doctors in my skates I rarely have any pain in my arch at all.

Once again thanks. I greatly appreciate the help and information that you have taken the time to give me on my posts. You are a very helpful person that takes the time to spread his knowledge to others. I live in Portugal and it's almost impossible to acquire hockey equipment, nevermind try it. A couple of friends and I started an inline hockey league a couple of years ago. We started out with 4 teams but this season we kick off with 8 and I believe that it will continue to grow. All the aformentioned just so that you don't thhink that I'm some sort of idiot. I hope that I can continue to count on your help. It is very difficult to buy an item that you haven't a chance to see or try in person so, having a person like you is great...

Most obliged.

Regards,

Nelson

Congrats on the growing league....I know how difficult that can be as I have been instrumental in the growth of the AHL (Asheville NC Hockey League). Our attendance numbers have fluctuated for years, and this fall for inline we look like having a very small number of registrations....I think mainly due to our 90-100 degree heat. Nobody is ever thinking about lacing up full pads in 100 degree heat. But our ice season here has been highly successful over the years and I am optimistic about having another good turn out for that one starting mid November.