Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bcboy

Any good pick-up games in the Toronto area?

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post this - Mod please move if so.

I relocated to Toronto a month ago and haven't been on the ice since. I work Mon-Fri till 7pm so would prefer later in the day or anytime on the weekend. I live in the Sheppard/Yonge area and don't really know this city yet so don't want to venture out too far.

I looked on Craigslist and didn't find much so not sure where to turn. Hopefully someone can here can hook me up!

Thanks for any help!

Bruce always makes sure he's got two goalies at every skate.

The easiest major arena for you is probably Chesswood, which is due West of you along Sheppard. There are a ton of pickup games there, some of which are published on HockeyToronto and some of which you can discover just by taking a drive over.

If you can give a rough idea of your background in the game I can probably be a little more specific about which skates might work for you.

Awesome thanks guys!

Law Goalie - I've played hockey all of my life and managed to play a few games in Jr B. when I was younger. I played in the Canlan league in Vancouver Div 2 so it was a pretty good pace. Not sure what else to add to this.

Thanks again for any help

Definitely check out the 7-8pm Tuesdays and the 10:45 to midnight Friday skates at Chesswood; the latter used to be really, really intense, though I haven't been in a while. If you're in good shape, you can leave the barf bags at home. :laugh: I also recommend the 3-4pm (usually) Saturday skate at the Varsity; it's not close to you, but easily accessible by the subway (St. George Station) if you intend on having a few pops afterward. The quality of player is a little lower at the low end, but they get some really talented guys out.

There are also a few respectable skates out of the CanLan rink at Victoria Park, though the rink itself is absolutely horrible, and practically hidden inside what appears to be a carpark with a revolving door of Asian-themed restaurants out front. You will be convinced you're about to go for a meal and not a skate until you see the pro shop.

Yep, Bruce gets players and goalies more all of those occasionally. He's generally more responsive to texts and emails. Basically, if a skate needs someone, they send him the info and he lists it; after that, you can deal with whoever actually runs the skate as far as paying, getting on a sub list, or whatever. Think of him as a short-order ice pimp.