Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yakus

Training Help

Along that note, it isn't of very much use to train your aerobic system by doing straight aerobic exercise: It is much more efficient to train your heart and lungs, in terms of time , effort, and sheer boredom, through high intensity modes, like guerrilla cardio, hard skating, supersets in the gym, olympic lifts, etc. Long distance cardio will only prepare you for long distance, low intensity activity, except when you factor for the fat your may lose doing that cardio, which you would lose quicker and with less muscle wasting effect doing high intensity cardio. More later...

What is guerilla cardio?

Guerilla cardio, the way that I have been taught is to sprint at max. speed for 30 seconds, then walk for 10. Do 8-12 reps of this for 4-6 sets. Very tiring, once you conquer the fatigue you can knock it up to 45 seconds, etc. Good exercise and great for cardio.

In hockey conditionning book by Twist, he talks of doing 10 reps of 45 sec. full sprint, then 45 to 90 sec. walking rest interval only 1 set.

So I think there's way too much reps. in what you say but the concept is good.

In hockey conditionning book by Twist, he talks of doing 10 reps of 45 sec. full sprint, then 45 to 90 sec. walking rest interval only 1 set.

Eh, to each their own I guess. I've been doing it for about 6 months now but I'm sure there are many variationts. Anywho, not to take anything away from the exercise, I suggest you give it a go if you are interested.

Eh, to each their own I guess. I've been doing it for about 6 months now but I'm sure there are many variationts. Anywho, not to take anything away from the exercise, I suggest you give it a go if you are interested.

I'll try it, you should be in a damn good shape...

I'm burn to hell after my 10 reps, so you do about 30 sprints in your workout?

What is the rest interval between your set?

I do nearly 30 sprints, depending on my on ice workout. I am on the ice at least every day of the week, usually more so if I am on for a light skate I tend to do more reps.

My coach, Sean Brown (who plays for NJ devils) showed this to me. I take off 45 seconds in between sets. Generally I'm dead after the last rep, it's really tough stuff.

I do nearly 30 sprints, depending on my on ice workout. I am on the ice at least every day of the week, usually more so if I am on for a light skate I tend to do more reps.

My coach, Sean Brown (who plays for NJ devils) showed this to me. I take off 45 seconds in between sets. Generally I'm dead after the last rep, it's really tough stuff.

You mean your conditionning coach?

Nope, he's our assistant coach. He just said that he does it and did it a lot when he is playing. Our conditioning coach is a firefighter.

Re: Deadlift

That picture does not show it, but most people grab the bar with one hand palm out, one hand palm in ("alternate grip")

Some use that, but I've been told it's best with both palms in. The key is keeping your back straight, getting a very very very slight bend in the knees (which you lock) and using your hip as a pivot. Works your hamstrings, glutes and lower back (to a lesser extent) like none other. Of course, you also want to do squats as SB39 said. I've been doing em for the past month and my strength and balance have really shot up; I'm much harder to knock off the puck now than I was just a few weeks ago.

I am not totally sure, but I always assumed that you used the alternate grip on a deadlift for safety. That way if you lost it going heavy, the outward facing palm will keep the bar from crushing your legs.

"Pound for pound, Olympic weightlifters have a greater level of speed-strength than any other class of athletes in all of sport."

http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=vi...cle&articleID=8

My favorite is the Power Snatch.

Olympic lifiting, for which you need some professional training to do it right, has the following benefits:

Is like the ULTIMATE plyometric exercise, it is like high jumping with weights!

Exercises every muscle in the body

Each lift has a progression of stages, and the brain has to fire all the right muscles at the correct time, in the correct sequence, for the lift to work

Builds up muscle mass, but especially builds up the fast twitch muscles.

You DO NOT need heavy weights for an exhausting olympic lifting session, the focus is on quickness and doing it right, not on lifting the most weight.