Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eazy_b97

Jack Kerouac - On The Road

Just finished reading the novel last week, did a presentation on it today. I found the novel very interesting, thought provoking and even motivating. It's a counterculturalist "Beat" novel, so be aware it's a little out there, but I thought it was great. Just a heads up for anyone looking for a good read. It's not by any stretch an unknown novel, I've just been making an effort to look outside mainstream culture a bit lately and have done alot on this, thought I'd suggest it. To those who have read it, what were your impressions?

I have alot of books to read through the year. I have 10 alone in the one class, most of them are at least equal in terms of "reading" whether it be text, plays or books, but I will try and read some more of this stuff over X-mas and Summer break. I have some Ginnsberg and Burrough stuff on my list right now, but I'll add that too Salming.

One of the "Beat" writers who often gets overlooked is Neal Cassady, probably becuase he wasn't very prolific; he only wrote one book, The First Third. However, despite his output, he was quite influential, serving as the inspiration for several of Jack Kerouac's characters, including Dean Moriarty.

If you liked On the Road, check out the First Third or his biography "The Holy Goof" for some good background on Kerouac, Cassady, and some of the other beat writers.