Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troybruins89

Skill Level

Would the skill level of a U18 AA team and a U16 AAA team be about the same? How about size? Im not to pleased with the other members of my team/coach so Im already looking for a new team next year, but dont quite know what to look for. I know skill has alot to do with where I'll go, but how do the 3 (U18 A, U18 AA, U16 AAA) compare?

It really depends on the age. I played both 18AA and 18 AAA and they usually opted to call the 18 AA player up over the 16AAA. It's a jump in physical play, but not really in speed. However some centers only have AA teams and the teams are fairly stacked. I remember playing against a handful of teams with 3-4 Junior B players who were just using AA cards.

What age were you when you played both of those? Im only about 5'4 120 so Im thinking I'll get murdered at U16 AAA and U18 AA unless I can put on some serious speed in the next couple months, but its a whole discussion on what I need help with. Coming from a family that doesnt know anything about hockey and with a coach that doesnt either Im in need of some serious help. Not to be cocky but Ive heard for alot of coaches that I have potential to get to a high level but none of them seem to know how to get me there. Any advice on what areas to focus on and what step to take next?

18 when I played, but one of my best friends on the team was about your size. Probably 5'2 or 5'1, but a bit heavier at 150ish. I played against kids your size. If your a good hockey players size won't really matter.

Whenever you step up in levels time and space is taken away, work on learning the game and making quick decisions speed and grit will be necessary. Work on acceleration as it will be key as a smaller player.

probably not quite comparable. the u18 kids will obviously have the edge physically but also in experience so that might cancel out the perceived difference in skill