Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MaverickFBI

A bad consequence of the salary cap

Andreychuk, Moginly...

I wonder if the cap system is pushing the franchises to speed up the retirement of the vets.

Correct me if I'm wrong : if a player clears the weaver his team can scratch him from the salary mass. For the major part at least. Correct ?

So this clears some room for more "productive" players.

But come on : Moginly was the 3d scorer of the Devils.

Ok he didnt score for the last 6 games.

Ok Elias is back.

But I still think they were so fast to demote him to AHL.

What do you think about it ?

Correct me if I'm wrong : if a player clears the weaver his team can scratch him from the salary mass. For the major part at least. Correct ?

Partly true. The remainder of Mogilny's contract for THIS year is off the Cap for NJ because he will be in the AHL. Minor league players do not count agaisnt the cap.

However, there is a clause in the CBA that says a player who is 35+ with a multi year deal who leaves the team mid contract (via retirement or being waived and not picked up, but not reporting to the minors) WILL count against the cap for the remainder of the contract. They won't be paid...but that number still counts against the cap for next season. So, in TB's case, $600,000 or Andreychuk's salary stays on the cap next year...and in NJ...AlMo's 3.5 for next year AND Malakov's 3.6 will both count (unless someone else picks them up.)

Radio's got it. Because of that you will likely see short-term signings of 34+ year olds.

My chances of getting signed got a whole lot slimmer!! :lol: <_<

NJ could be in cap trouble with those two salalries still on the books next year, not able to fill the roster spots with skilled players.