Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rawls

Year round (ice) rinks in Portland, ME area?

Does anyone know of rinks that have ice year round or open for a month or more in the summer in the Mid-Coast/Portland Maine area? Preferably rinks that have open stick sessions... I'm sure the Cumberland Civic center has some ice in the summer for the Portland Pirates and/or affiliated Junior teams, but their website is pretty uninformative about access to their actual rink facilities.

I'm going to be relocating there (hopefully) in mid-May or June and want to make a seamless hockey transition.

According to their website, Portland Ice Arena is open July through April, but that of course leaves the two toughest months of the year for hockey-- May and June.

Most of the other Maine rinks listed at arenamaps.com didn't provide much info or stated that they iced out during the summer.

Last summer I drove 120 miles (1 hour 15 min each way) once or twice a week just to keep up with hockey, so I don't mind a little distance.

Noone plays at CCCC in the summer as far as I know.

Last year Portland Ice Arena didnt even have shinny at all...

Count Biddeford Ice Arena out too...they melt their ice as soon as all the teams' seasons are wrapped up...what a waste...

You could try the Travis Roy Arena in Yarmouth...I've personally been there, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Actually, if you went to hockey camp in 1982, you went to the Academy rinks. The rinks he's referring to are on the western side of town. We moved out of Exeter in 1979, but I go back to visit often, so my guess is the new rinks were built in the early 90's.