Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

socom

Stick protection

I got some kinda plywood to practice on outside but the cement below it is really rough. Do you think the plywood is enough to protect the stick(which has a high flex if that helps any) from the cement below it or should I double it up or put a softer surface under it?

The plywood is probably good enough. You could try attaching a sheet of linoleum on top of the ply wood so you have a smooth, slick surface so your stick blade and the pucks can slide better. Also the linoleum will probably reduce wear on your stick a little bit more than just the plywood.

this is one topic i know alot about.

i have the same situation here at home. the higher flex will actually hurt you on durability outdoors (i assume you mean it is a more flexible stick). the stick will flex and you will actually be dragging the face of the blade along the material you are shooting off of, and you might damage it that way.

i don't recommend plywood. how big of a piece do you have?? if the piece is not big enough you will hit the edge of it, and chip your blade all to pieces. i ripped and splintered my best woody all up doing it with plywood. also, plywood eats the bottom of your blade up (even on composite) and totally melts tape. i would recommend hdpe plastic here again.

lino will not work too good. it provides quite a lot of grip when you roller skate on it. ever skin your knee on lino?? it kind of burns the skin off. same effect on tape. before long it will be totally black/sticky from burning up the tape on the bottom of your blade.

check out the local plastics place for some hdpe. there is a thread about it HERE