Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

Knee trouble

At the end of last year I noticed a little trouble with my left knee. It is okay the vast majority of the time but occasionally it comes back. WHat happens is that I am skating foreword or backward and my left knee gets "weak" with a little twinge. I do not know how else to describe it.

I do not fall, the pain is not terrible, and there are no popping or clicking sensations. It just feels like my femur could fall straight down to my skate. It feels "weak". I generally quit skating for the day when this happens. Fortunately it does not happen during competition for whatever reason.

It seems like I have heard this type of thing described at some time in the past, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it is.

Any ideas???

I would have it checked out if it were me.

Basically the "joints" in our boddy are just placeswhere two bones rub against each other, with a little piece of cartilage in between. What keeps the bones in the "joint" together are a bunch of ligaments, tendons, and muscles. If you stretch out, or worse tear, those things, then the joint is unstable.

That is why those rubber knee compression orthotics help--they squeeze the muscles together and keep things from getting too loose, so your joint is tighter.

If things are not too far gone, there are specific exercises to strengthen the joint, such as balancing on one foot, balancing on foam rollers, 1legged body weight squats, using a cable pull behind your knee, etc. A good Phycial Therapist can teach you them.

If things are not too far gone, there are specific exercises to strengthen the joint, such as balancing on one foot, balancing on foam rollers, 1legged body weight squats, using a cable pull behind your knee, etc. A good Phycial Therapist can teach you them.

Those are the things I was looking for. :)

I know it is not too far gone as there is no excessive movement in any plane. I have been injured enough to duplicate the tests and contortions "they' put one through to diagnose a problem. What I need to do is strengthen and stabilize the joint. Not a bad idea for the other one I am sure. As it happens when I am fatigued and not at any other time, I am certain that it is a problem that can be overcome with training.

Thanks,

Gman

Well, try working the muscles and see what happens. A little Alleve, and 10 minutes of ice on top and behind the knee after every exercise session helps keep the swelling down so it can heal.