Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grinder

Tuuk chassis onto Mission RL Boot?

Last year I replaced my aging bauers with a set of 2004 Mission RL's at a clearance sale. I've been generally happy with the skate, but I'm unsure about the chassis for two reasons:

1) The two bolt system blows, compared to the one bolt system used on the Tuuk chassis. Wheels take longer to change, and I routinely have to tighten the bolts partway through a game (and believe me, I check my gear and bolts thoroughly before suiting up). They continually work loose.

2) The Tuuk chassis looks to be better made, and a higher grade piece of equipment than the chassis that comes on the skate (Aluminum vs -what? I can't even tell what the Mission chassis is made of).

From this, I have three questions: Are my thoughts about the Tuuk being a better chassis correct? If so, does anyone have experience with this chassis on a Mission boot? Finally, is it worth the hassle to get the chassis changed, or should I just leave well enough alone? (and please, don't just link me to the Sprung chassis thread - I'm not prepared to take that jump).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

get some locktite for those bolts. they will stay tight and you dont have to worry about dimounting and mounting a chassis. I have never used a bauer skate for roller so I can not help in that department.

I've mounted a few pairs of the TUUK Shifters Frames (i.e. Hi-Lo). They seem very solid, perhaps a tad heavier than comparable frames from Mission and Red Star. I always figured they were manufactured by labeda for Bauer as they have a similar look and feel to the Tour RedLine frames. Either way, they look to be built tough (which probably explains the heavier weight) and I've never had to replace cracked or warped TUUKs... I'm pretty sure the shifters come in two axle versions, btw. I beleive I've seen some with single-piece bolts that screw into the side of the frame and others that used the more common Bauer two-piece side locking bolts that have like an oval shape on one end. I'm more of a fan of skates with single piece axles.

Never mounted them on Mission boots though, just Bauer and CCM ice boots. Hope that was a bit helpful

IIRC, the RL boot was kinda low end, and the chassis wan't any better. If it's the one i'm thinking of, it's 6000 series stamped aluminum, painted blue? Is it the "Violator" chassis? If it is the chassis I'm thinking of, they'll likely break at the rear like every other pair i've ever seen of these chassis.

Higher end mission chassis are built like tanks. the Penetrator and Generator from a few years ago took tons of abuse, but were kind of heavy. this was before all the hype of having superlight inlines was all the rage. If you could find a pair of those, they'd be even better than the tuuks.

Depending on what kind of boot you like, you may want to upgrade the hwole skate altogether. the RL wasn't the most supportive boot in the world, and I'm sure that with use it hasn't gotten any better. Stiffer more supportive boots not only last longer, but they also seem to give the most performance for most people. If you like the comfort of a softer boot, though, stick with them.