Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eazy_b97

Few Inquiries

I was wondering if there is a way to increase the spin on my bearings. I currently have Abec 9's and they are great, but was wondering if there was a way I could better them. They've been used less than a half dozen times and spin well, but not all are spinning equally since I put them in new whels. I was also wondering how often I should clean them, and for those who have used the Hot shots for a little while at least, how does this years version compare to the older models durability wise? As well is there a better place to put the wheels which don't spin as well?

i use BSB race lube and wash. Keeps my bearings spinning great. When i dont have anymore lube/wash, i usually put the wheels that dont spin as much in the back. You're usually on your toes when skating. Depending on how much you play, thats how much you clean them. I usually clean my bearings every 3 skates, but im a neat freak.

I usually clean my bearings and rotate my wheels about once every 10 games. I use sonic citrus wash to clean the bearings, and sonic super oil to lube them. Any citrus cleaner will work for cleaning, but i have found the sonic super oil to be the best in terms of lubrication.

My Rink Rats don't spin properly either! It is so annoying. I have tried EVERYTHING. I have changed spacers and bearings. If I leave the axles really loose then they spin perfectly but I lose a wheel in the middle of a shift. If I tighten then up they will make maybe one laboured rotation. When I skate on them like that they really slow me down.

Do you guys have any ideas? I have talked to the guys from Rink Rat about it and tried there suggestions but have had no luck. These are the best wheels I have ever used and I am not going to be able to use them.

I know some people had issues with that in last years rink rats. I have 2004 hornets, and have had no problems with them.

If I tighten then up they will make maybe one laboured rotation. When I skate on them like that they really slow me down.

Do you guys have any ideas? I have talked to the guys from Rink Rat about it and tried there suggestions but have had no luck. These are the best wheels I have ever used and I am not going to be able to use them.

You have one of two problems...either the spacers are too "short" or the wheel hub shoulders are too wide. While I have on occasion seen some "short" spacers, it is less common than the problem with the wheel hub shoulders being too wide.

You may have some of last year's early stock, unless they are having the same problems again. They had the problem with the wheel hub shoulders being too wide. When you tighten them up, you will bind the bearings because the hub shoulders are wider than the spacers. This makes you draw in the center of the bearing until the balls are pushing against the sides of the races causing the wheels to bind when tightened. The spacers are normally.400" wide, so the wheel hub shoulders should be from .395" to .400" wide. The ones(hub shoulders) in my earlier Hornets were .404" wide..causing the problems that you are seeing. The newer wheels were the correct width.

I am surprised RR didn't suggest that, as they knew about this problem..happened last year with some of the early stock. If you can find them...maybe a local machine shop.... put in some .005" shims as washers between the bearing inner race and the spacer end, this will solve your problem if RR will not replace them.

PS the same problems have happened with Labeda, Hyper, and I am sure a few others over the years....usually when they switch suppliers for the little plastic hub castings..often a different source than the actual wheel manufacturer.

Benchboy, The problem is completely non wheel related for me. It's my own fault and I have damaged a few bearings. I am stuck with what I have so I am looking to get the best results with what I have.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been offered replacement wheels from Rink Rat, they have been great about it, but as these wheels have no wear on them I see it as a bit of a waste and was hoping to find a way around it.

They gave me a new set of spacers that were supposed to fix the problem but didn't. The spacers were the same size as the ones I had previously anyway.

I am pretty sure I have the 2004 wheels though, They are green and gold with a white hub.

I'll see if I can score some "shims" from a local bearing shop. Thanks for the advice.

I am pretty sure I have the 2004 wheels though, They are green and gold with a white hub.

I think one version of the original Hornets was the same color. I have some around, but you cannot tell anymore because they change color with use.