Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rawls

Adult hockey in Augusta Maine area

Sorry for the potentially confusing topic, but I've been offered a job in Augusta, Maine and I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of adult hockey in that area. I'm currently in the Upper Valley of VT/NH and there are 4 or 5 rinks in the immediate area, two different refereed men's leagues (A and B level) and plenty of private groups that rent icetime and play informal "pick up " type games at night (usually pretty late). I'm also used to being able to take off on my lunch break and play open stick at a rink less than 5 miles from where I work.

I've gone to Arenamaps.com and done some research there, and I know there's the Kennebec Ice Arena with an A and a B league, and they seem to be a year round rink too. The down side of Kennebec is that their open stick is limited to Fridays. Considering that hockey's a pretty important part of my life-- I try to play at least 3-4 times a week even though the late night skates are starting to kill me in terms of lack of sleep-- and the jobs will probably pay about the same, I'm wondering if the move is a good idea hockey-wise. I know the cost of living is a HELL of a lot cheaper in Augusta than it is in the Upper Valley.

Any input on this hockey-quality of life issue would be welcomed.

thanks

Well it is kind of slim picking. There used to be a pick up session at KIA on Sunday nights, but I don't think it has started back up this year and don't know if it will or not. They run a summer amd a winter league both A and B league. The winter session runs from October to April-ish with a month or so off before the summer starts. Shinny is on Fridys mid-morning. I haven't been to one because I work then, but I have stopped but when it was going on, during school vacations they limit the number of players they take. There is another rink in the area at Kents Hill School. Their pick up is shut down right now because they are really busy with the local programs, but they play on Tuesday nights, no leagues that I know of there. PM me if you would like and I'll try and give you more info.

My dad played recently in a league in Brunswick which is about 25 minutes from Augusta, and i'm pretty sure Augusta has somthing. But Falmouth Ice Arena 45 minutes from Augusta has plenty of leagues and pick-ups. Just give some rinks a call.

Well it is kind of slim picking. There used to be a pick up session at KIA on Sunday nights, but I don't think it has started back up this year and don't know if it will or not. They run a summer amd a winter league both A and B league. The winter session runs from October to April-ish with a month or so off before the summer starts. Shinny is on Fridys mid-morning. I haven't been to one because I work then, but I have stopped but when it was going on, during school vacations they limit the number of players they take. There is another rink in the area at Kents Hill School. Their pick up is shut down right now because they are really busy with the local programs, but they play on Tuesday nights, no leagues that I know of there. PM me if you would like and I'll try and give you more info.

Thanks-- that's good information. I guess the Upper Valley might have a slight advantage in rink availability. Most of the places I play are a half hour drive and anywhere from 10 to 20 miles from my house, some further. I live about 18 miles from where I work, which translates to a 30 to 45 minute drive, so driving to and from work and then back out to hockey again can really be a budget killer.

No problems. I forgot there is also a rink in Winslow which is about a half hour or so drive from Augusta. They have 3 leagues up there if I remember correctly. I am in Winthrop so the Kents Hill rink is closer but it is only 15 minutes or less to KIA.

Not to be nosey, but where was the job offer in Augusta??

No problems. I forgot there is also a rink in Winslow which is about a half hour or so drive from Augusta. They have 3 leagues up there if I remember correctly. I am in Winthrop so the Kents Hill rink is closer but it is only 15 minutes or less to KIA.

Not to be nosey, but where was the job offer in Augusta??

it's with the state legislature, so it's a union job, which would be a new experience, pay is so-so, but it seems like the cost of living is quite a bit less up there, and an 18.54% retirement contribution seems like a good deal.

I haven't been asked to pony up for the second half of my men's league fee, so at least I wouldn't lose out on that...